PDA

View Full Version : Fall Dragon Mini-Meet

Grot
08-10-2010, 10:45 PM
Anyone up for a small dragon meet around the end of October?

We had one last year and it was fun. went down the dragon, then hit the hellbender.

I should have the 162 up by then and would like to run her down there.

If there is some intrest we can set a date and a route.

EDIT: It seems Oct. 8-9 is the popular vote so we will start planning for then.

Holiday Inn is looking at 89 bucks a night.
Hampton Inn looks like 85 per night.

There are other hotels in the area.

---------- Post added at 09:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

Looking at the deals gap schedule, the 22-24 there is a cobalt/g6 meet.

And looking at the UT football schedule, theres a home game on the 16th, so we need to avoid that weekend.

So that leaves the 1-2, 8-9, or 29-30.

As of now it would probably be best early in the month, to avoid fallen leaves on the road.

burnyd
08-10-2010, 10:46 PM
I would prolly be able to do it as I am going to tn with the girlfriend to see her friend from school who lives in nashville in oct.

donteatbugs
08-10-2010, 11:43 PM
^ and the lies start

The Captain
08-11-2010, 12:20 AM
^ and the lies start

WIN!

I like the 8th and 9th. First few days of the month are always tough for me.

burnyd
08-11-2010, 12:22 AM
^ and the lies start

I will be there! Call Andy and Ryan!! Ask my gf!!!! Shell tell you!

Grot
08-11-2010, 12:46 AM
im liking 8-9 also.

thinking everyone will show up friday night, maybe a small dinner or PAP run if there is any interest. when i get home i can look into prospective hotel prices.

cell172
08-11-2010, 04:09 AM
I'll be there. Most likely not in the Celica though.

Murgatroy
08-11-2010, 04:16 AM
I don't wanna.

Grot
08-11-2010, 04:22 AM
Well you can stay home and babysit the wives if you would like that better.

Waffles!
08-11-2010, 06:47 AM
I am totally interested. I want some more mountain driving time.

Hipster Lawrence
08-11-2010, 10:35 PM
Oct 8-9 sounds good to me. LMK

Grot
08-13-2010, 01:50 AM
Seems like the 8-9 is the popular vote. that works for me, we can start planning for then.

donteatbugs
08-13-2010, 04:07 AM
i might make it

ravensguildassasin
08-13-2010, 05:13 AM
i would but my car wont be running proper by then it will just be running. :burnout:

The Captain
08-13-2010, 02:07 PM
Dammit. Now I have to decide which Celica to bring. I'm guessing vert.

Waffles!
08-13-2010, 03:26 PM
Dammit. Now I have to decide which Celica to bring. I'm guessing vert.

I would volunteer to drive the 'vert again, but I love my 2 in the mountains.

Hipster Lawrence
08-13-2010, 11:56 PM
I may bring the 8-6.

Grot
08-14-2010, 01:01 AM
Would love to see it. Hopefully mine will be ready be then.

Eric Barrera
08-15-2010, 09:47 PM
Maybe but if someone is going Road trip status from Cali! lol

Grot
08-16-2010, 12:10 AM
Maybe but if someone is going Road trip status from Cali! lol

Normally people only road trip for the April meet. The fall meet is mostly east coast locals. But your welcome to come. The fall meet may have 5 cars. The spring meet will have 30+ cars

Eric Barrera
08-17-2010, 04:56 AM
I might still come, get out of school a while, Ill let you guys know.

Maybe my dad will bring the supra, lol

Cavanagh
08-18-2010, 12:06 AM
I would prolly be able to do it as I am going to tn with the girlfriend to see her friend from school who lives in nashville in oct.

She hot?

Eric Barrera
08-19-2010, 11:18 PM
^ lol

Nitro_Alltrac
08-23-2010, 02:04 AM
I won't make it this year Aaron. One of the things that sucks about being in Texas.

You guys have fun!

Grot
08-23-2010, 03:10 AM
Cmon meow.

Its not THAT far.

Hipster Lawrence
08-28-2010, 10:47 PM
I'll be working saturday. I am going to try to get off early though so I can maybe run the dragon saturday evening.

Is everyone planning on hoteling it? Cause #1 I don't feel like driving all the way to knoxville and #2 I have no money.

My plan is to leave work at around 2 and head to robbinsville run the dragon (time permitting) and then find a campsite.

Anyone who wants to save the money or just wants to camp is welcome to hang with me.

As far as camping goes there are lots of options.

-The lake right after you leave robbinsville before you get to the dragon has a trail and a parking lot. you could walk down the trail and find a site. Easiest place to camp.

-There are several spots if you leave deals gap and go downhill (not towards robbinsville).

-Almost all those parking lots on the skyway have trails that lead away from them. Probably what I'm going to do although I have no idea of the topography so it may be a mile hike before a campsite is found.

-My favorite campsite is a place called Big Fat Gap and it's off 129 north of robbinsville. There is a gravel road with a bridge on the left (the only bridge I can think of). It's an awesome spot but it involves about 3 or 4 miles of gravel road driving.

Eric Barrera
08-30-2010, 02:55 AM
Dammit!!!!!!! I'm not going to go. I'll go April run for sure though

Grot
08-30-2010, 03:24 AM
With the events of today and what may happen at the end of the month i may not be able to make it.

donteatbugs
08-30-2010, 09:45 PM
well since you have made it the 8-9th i have had 2 other things come up that day.

1. great grandmothers birthday
2. APR bbq that i went to last year...and want to go to again

Eric Barrera
09-01-2010, 05:33 AM
I am thinking the fall meet just went from 8-9 cars, to about 3 lol

Tuminatuh
09-15-2010, 03:03 AM
Count me in! And, hopefully, my wheel won't fall off this year or something...

- Tum

Grot
09-15-2010, 03:36 AM
Well i think i can count myself back in, Assuming i sell my truck.

So we will see if this actually happens.

Eric Barrera
09-16-2010, 09:24 PM
okay, back too 5-6 cars lol

Tuminatuh
09-17-2010, 02:15 AM
Mind if my friend brings his Cobalt SS along for the ride? There's a meet for Cobalts later in the month, but he and I both know that most Cobalt/G5/G6 owners are complete douches that only care about how fast their car can get to 60...

- Tum

KM
09-17-2010, 02:44 AM
Mind if my friend brings his Cobalt SS along for the ride?

It's not about celicas, it's about getting together and driving a fun road.

If we didn't have a kid in school, Becky and I would take the miata up. Not like the dragon is far from Blue Ridge, where Becky's mom lives.

Tuminatuh
09-18-2010, 02:05 AM
It's not about celicas, it's about getting together and driving a fun road.

Oh so true. I'm glad to see that this board is a lot different than back when i was on StreetKiaz. I asked if my friend could bring his RX-8 and they were all "No, this is a Kia ONLY meet. We gotta represent and we can't do that with a bunch of Mazdas lurkin' around!" Seriously... like 4 riced out Kias and an Optima (my old car) sitting in a parking lot are gonna turn heads. :mj:

Anywho, can't wait for the meet. Let's ride! :burnout:

- Tum

Tuminatuh
09-24-2010, 10:20 PM
BTW, I hope you guys are ready to see the ugliest MR2 on the planet...

- Tum

Grot
09-24-2010, 11:51 PM
Haha, i will be in a Buick. May ride along with someone dunno yet.
I think you will be fine.

On a side note, i plan on meeting at 9am in the Traditional spot. BE ON TIME.
If not there by 9:30 we will leave you. Eat breakfast before you show up.
We will Run down to the Dragon store.
Depending on who all shows up, we may run down the skyway or may run back the way we came.

There is a Gunshow in knoxville the same weekend which i will be attending as soon as we get back from the Run if someone wants to follow me out there that is a possibility.

Tuminatuh
09-25-2010, 01:52 AM
Um... what is the usual place?

Last meet we all met up at Cracker Barrel in Knoxville.

- Tum

Grot
09-25-2010, 02:00 AM
Its the big parking lot across the street from the holiday and hampton hotels.

How many people we looking at?

3 or 4?

Murgatroy
09-25-2010, 05:38 AM
Haha, i will be in a Buick. May ride along with someone dunno yet.
I think you will be fine.

On a side note, i plan on meeting at 9am in the Traditional spot. BE ON TIME.
If not there by 9:30 we will leave you. Eat breakfast before you show up.
We will Run down to the Dragon store.
Depending on who all shows up, we may run down the skyway or may run back the way we came.

There is a Gunshow in knoxville the same weekend which i will be attending as soon as we get back from the Run if someone wants to follow me out there that is a possibility.

Got to warn you, the Buick really doesn't like it up there.

Grot
09-25-2010, 04:08 PM
Yea, i know she wont.

Tuminatuh
09-25-2010, 04:57 PM
Hey. Don't bash what a car can do when a capable driver is behind the wheel.

I once met a couple of friends for a midnight drive up the local mountain road in my mom's Sorento (huge SUV). My friend's friend had a Impreza 2.5RS with a few mods to it. As we departed he shouted "see ya, we'll be waiting at the top!" and took off. I rode his ass all the way up the mountain (heh!) and when we got to the top I asked him, "what was it you said about waiting for me at the top?" My friend Kaleb just lol'ed.

Hell, my first real ''performance'' car I had before my Celica was an '04 Kia Optima EXV6 (semi-auto). With just a few mods I was able to keep up with my friend in his modded RX-8. Hell I out-handled FC's and FD's in my car. I drove the piss out of that car and anyone that rode with me admitted that I was scary behind the wheel of that car.

Bottom line, don't hate the Buick. If you know how to make use of it's abilities, I'm sure it can surprise some people.

Wow... just realized what a huge rant I went on, there. Hehe.

Sooooooooo.... back on topic for a sec. Yeah, I remember that parking lot! :P

- Tum

Grot
09-25-2010, 06:09 PM
Hey. Don't bash what a car can do when a capable driver is behind the wheel.

I once met a couple of friends for a midnight drive up the local mountain road in my mom's Sorento (huge SUV). My friend's friend had a Impreza 2.5RS with a few mods to it. As we departed he shouted "see ya, we'll be waiting at the top!" and took off. I rode his ass all the way up the mountain (heh!) and when we got to the top I asked him, "what was it you said about waiting for me at the top?" My friend Kaleb just lol'ed.

Hell, my first real ''performance'' car I had before my Celica was an '04 Kia Optima EXV6 (semi-auto). With just a few mods I was able to keep up with my friend in his modded RX-8. Hell I out-handled FC's and FD's in my car. I drove the piss out of that car and anyone that rode with me admitted that I was scary behind the wheel of that car.

Bottom line, don't hate the Buick. If you know how to make use of it's abilities, I'm sure it can surprise some people.

Wow... just realized what a huge rant I went on, there. Hehe.

Sooooooooo.... back on topic for a sec. Yeah, I remember that parking lot! :P

- Tum

You make a good point, but i bought said buick from him he knows what it can do.

Murgatroy
09-26-2010, 05:20 AM

You make a good point, but i bought said buick from him he knows what it can do.

I am very aware of what the car can and can't do. And I know that I had a hard time getting the car to react on the Dragon at speeds of over 30MPH.

I also know that I have more experience on that road than most.

Back to my point, the Buick doesn't like it up there.

Tuminatuh
09-26-2010, 04:55 PM
I am very aware of what the car can and can't do. And I know that I had a hard time getting the car to react on the Dragon at speeds of over 30MPH.

Yikes.

So, what kind of Buick is it? I'm guessing an old Regal or a LeSabre...

- Tum

Grot
09-26-2010, 08:01 PM
its a 99 regal.

She dont likes turns too much.

So is it just gonna be me and you, Tum?

If its that small a turnout we can probably just run down the dragon then back up it.

Tuminatuh
09-27-2010, 05:47 AM
its a 99 regal.

She dont likes turns too much.

So is it just gonna be me and you, Tum?

If its that small a turnout we can probably just run down the dragon then back up it.

My friend is bringing his Cobalt SS.

If it's just us three, then he'll have the best handling car of the bunch... it does pretty well around turns, especially if he gets his new tires in time.

Oh well, looking forward to it anyways!

- Tum

Grot
09-27-2010, 09:40 PM
I also want to add, i will not make this run in the rain.

If the Wed and Thurs prior to the run, i see rain in the Forecast I am pulling out.

I dont yet trust my car in the rain.

I just wanted to make that known.

Hipster Lawrence
09-27-2010, 11:21 PM

I also know that I have more experience on that road than most.

Back to my point, the Buick doesn't like it up there.

Word. I've driven/owned both a regal GS and an NA olds 88 coupe.

Both great cars but on the dragon, no fun. On a road like the skyway though you could really open it up if you know what you are doing. You have to let teh body roll work for you.

Grot
10-02-2010, 04:01 PM
I hate to do this, but im going to have to bail.

I just have too much going on right now.

If people still plan on going i can get a map or directions for them if that would help.

Tuminatuh
10-03-2010, 11:57 PM
Man... this sucks... cuz I'm gonna have to bail as well.

My front tires are bald and I'm asking off for the big Cobalt meet later this month.

Sorry guys.... next time. The planning for this one was just to sudden.

- Tum

Tuminatuh
10-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Leaving at around 3 PM to head to Deal's Gap. Gonna run a few times and hopefully see some of you guys!

If not... I'll still have fun cuz, hey, it's Deal's Gap!

- Tum

Tuminatuh
10-09-2010, 04:17 AM
Just got home. Didn't see one single Celica.

My friend got a speeding ticket, though. 62 in a 30 zone. Anyone know how many points that'll add to his license?

Edit: Nevermind. Five points. Ouch. Sucks to be him!

- Tum

Grot
10-09-2010, 04:40 AM
Glad you had a good run.

How was traffic?

Sucks your friend got the ticket.

Thats probably going to be a $300+ ticket if he was on the TN side.

Tuminatuh
10-09-2010, 10:48 PM
Glad you had a good run.

How was traffic?

Terrible. Douchebags everywhere. On the way back we got stuck behind a Volvo that was going 25-30 mph and WOULD NOT pull over. We passed over 30 pull-offs and they never pulled over. So the last half of the Dragon was spent being pissed off.

Sucks your friend got the ticket.

That's probably going to be a $300+ ticket if he was on the TN side.

Yeah, he's gonna try to talk it down to under 15 mph over. He's never gotten a ticket before..

Now he wishes he had a radar detector... mine went off 4 seconds before I even saw the cop so I slowed down to about 35 around the turn. My friend was clocked just as he came out of the turn.

- Tum

The Captain
10-10-2010, 12:02 AM
My vert decided to eat the driver front wheel bearing and eat the hub. I spent the day in front of a press. I wanted to do this real bad...