PDA

View Full Version : Factory boost controller ?

90ToyAllTrac
08-10-2010, 06:00 PM
Tonight is the big night, ready to try starting my car after a usdm to jdm engine trans swap.

At the top of the firewall theres a unit with 3 vac lines and a big spring loaded screw that I assume is the boost controller, mine was never hooked up since I got the car, had aftermarket controller and gauge, which were broken from the start btw. So for now its totally stock JDM 3SGTE. The vac line hanging out the bottom of the unit, Im guessing is for the factory boost gauge? Hopefully the screw is still on the factory setting.

Also theres a vac line coming out of the pass side of the intake that I dont know where it goes. It has one of those plastic nipple valve things on the end of it. My old engine is kind of a mess but it kinda helps for comparing some stuff.

I wont be driving it, just see if it starts and doesnt fry the ecu.

ChrisD
08-10-2010, 06:57 PM
Sounds like the A/C idle up valve. There is no stock boost controller...the TVSV acts like one with a very small range, but that's bolted underneath of the intake manifold. The boost gauge uses the turbo pressure sensor, bolted to the firewall and has one vac line going to it. It has a 3 wire electrical plug going to it.

90ToyAllTrac
08-10-2010, 07:14 PM
Wow, I was way off.

90ToyAllTrac
08-11-2010, 12:06 AM
I do have one last elec plug Im trying to identify, it has 3 prongs and goes somewhere underneath the distributor and then to parts unknown. I dont yet see it in my chiltons diagrams. It may be a 92-93 JDM thing my US car doesnt have. The wires are red/blue stripe, blue/black stripe, blue/red non-lengthwise stripes (like a snake stripes).

That other unit you described with the 3 prong plug and one vac line, thats plugged in already, though Ive no idea where to get the vac line from, the line that goes to the cluster could be gone completely. Have to figure that out. Im assuming thats where it would go?

Shadowlife25
08-11-2010, 01:44 AM
Sounds like the A/C idle up valve. There is no stock boost controller...the TVSV acts like one with a very small range, but that's bolted underneath of the intake manifold. The boost gauge uses the turbo pressure sensor, bolted to the firewall and has one vac line going to it. It has a 3 wire electrical plug going to it.

This.

90ToyAllTrac
08-11-2010, 04:37 AM
How about this. You are wrong. Thats not what I was talking about. I knew before but forgot it was the speedo sensor plug. I reconfirmed that during the following process.

The starter did not turn. Tracked it to a bad starter relay, tested bad. Then for fun ripped the cover off and then it tested good inside terminals and out so glued it back together. Hotwired the starter to test it and starter and selinoid work. But the selinoid isnt getting power through the wirimg somewhere. And even though we bypassed the wiring to turn over the engine it still wouldnt start. We even took the speedo sensor and plugged it into its plug, and grounded it because its 3 prong. Just incase it was needed electronically. So Ive got a real mess on my hands. Theres a problem getting the starter seliniod going and theres also a problem somewhere with any of air, gas, spark. So ya, pretty depressing.

blakeyg123
08-11-2010, 11:57 AM
takes a while to start.
do you know how to prime the fuel.
apprently I forgot this. hooked up an external power source and cranked until it started
maybe not good sure you guys will let me know.
someone told me to turn the key on and off to prime the fuel.
Is this correct. Soooo glad at least it started
Not sure what you are talking about with the vacuum hose. I took one off and had no idea where it went back.
Lucky I found the photos.
I am currently trying to understand this sytem. Friend told me to start and look for the leak.

Depressing is putting your 56k engine in then taking it back out because clutch it gone. my story. spent 14 weeks doing this at an emplyee's house who still lives with his mum.

I did it to learn any boy am I learning. Patience seems to be one of the most important thing for me.

I tried to use toyodiy.com to check the vacuum sytem. Apprenlty you can not get pics in usa. try not entering in you vin number.

I plan to understand what all the vacuum hoses are doing. There are some strange ones.b so send me a pic and I will check it against what I have done so far

90ToyAllTrac
08-11-2010, 05:37 PM
That story makes me feel better as its about the same as mine, except I have no intention of taking the new motor back out. I checked the clutch and oil pan before installing. Im pretty sure all the vac hoses are either connected or plugged. I did turn the key several times to prime the fuel. My selenoid problem is somewhere between the relay, the ignition switch, and the selenoid. Wires to the Alt tested ok.

Its a new day, Ive got a couple more summer months before I give up.

Shadowlife25
08-11-2010, 10:01 PM
How about this. You are wrong.

Wow. Way to be a rude jack ass to the folks trying to help..:loser:

You Have fun with that, and I hope the rest of your day gets better...

90ToyAllTrac
08-11-2010, 10:11 PM
Well at the time reposting stuff in larger font seemed sarcastic to me. Theres no need for re posting whats posted already.

Shadowlife25
08-11-2010, 10:30 PM
Yeah... Ok/
^^ THAT is sarcasm.

Me quoting someone and emphasizing the part I agree with is not.

If you ever want any real help, I suggest you check that attitude.
If not, you better learn a whole lot more than me in real big hurry/

90ToyAllTrac
08-12-2010, 05:02 PM
Well I had some really bad luck and I mis interpreted your oversized text, I admit that. Then you mis interpreted my oversized text. So I tried to explain myself and then I became a "rude Jackass". Everyone should be allowed a slip up once in awhile, its not like Im btching about installing some blue headlights or something trivial like that. Anyway. All this over some oversized text seems un needed to me. Anyway, it is what it is I guess.

Shadowlife25
08-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Nah, I'm not upset man. :)

Just trying in my own fashion to let you know there isn't always any underlying intent.
We all have our days and apparently we shared one. lol

No hard feelings here bud.

90ToyAllTrac
08-12-2010, 07:16 PM
"Contentment has been achieved."
http://www.battleagainstbald.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/08/15/danaykroydconeheadsphotographc10040.jpg

T-spoon
08-13-2010, 07:46 AM
Solenoid. Solenoid. Solenoid.

So are you looking for input on the starting issue? I have to admit it's more than a little unclear what you have troubleshot at this point and what you still need as far as information goes.

90ToyAllTrac
08-14-2010, 02:34 AM
Gonna start a new thread since the focus has changed.