PDA

View Full Version : anyone here ever use a St185 Brash-boy power fc

lalojamesliz
08-10-2010, 09:20 AM
I found one with the commander and I would love to get it but don't know crap about it. Has anyone heard of it? Its supposed to be converted to use on a 92-93 st185. If I installed it would I be able to remove my afm? And would I have to get my car tuned?

ChrisD
08-10-2010, 05:22 PM
i haven't heard of Brash Boy modded PFC's, but might be similar/the same to the AP Engineering ones? If it is, you could definitely remove your AFM. You just need to make sure your MAP is the load signal, and adjust the scale values for the MAP to match. So it shouldn't be too tough. Heck, my MAP sensor is just my boost gauge pressure sensor, a greddy unit. I couldn't be bothered to spend a few hundred on a gen 3 MAP sensor. I made some educated adjustments to it with the datalogit, and now works totally fine.

I'll see if I can do some research on that one tho.

lalojamesliz
08-11-2010, 12:41 AM
Is it hard for a person with very little electronics knoledge to adjust the map sensor reading without a datalogit? I was thinking of using the gm map sensor

zen
08-13-2010, 09:46 AM
with your gen 3 ecu swap, you can eleminate the afm also...

ChrisD
08-13-2010, 05:02 PM
I *think* that you can adjust it with the commander, but I can't be sure since I do not have it. For the price of Commander vs. Datalogit, it's pretty close in $ but you can do way more and easier with the datalogit.

Smaay
08-13-2010, 06:35 PM
why dont you get an AEM EMS? then you can run speed density. they should be in the 1400 range still. IMO its still worth it

Shadowlife25
08-13-2010, 08:16 PM
Or a MAPECU2. :) ($550)

lalojamesliz
08-15-2010, 06:13 AM
why dont you get an AEM EMS? then you can run speed density. they should be in the 1400 range still. IMO its still worth it

I started to look for one but i couldn't find anyin my current budget then I don't think the mods I currently have are worth spending the money to have a ems tuned for :(

---------- Post added at 05:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 AM ----------

I gave up on the PFC cause I just couldn't find out enough info about it. A mapecu2 is about $550?? Oh well I just bought most of the rest of the items I need to convert to a gen3 efi so I guess that's the way I'm going :) this Monday I'll order my jumper harness to connect my st205 ecu to my 91 harness then I'll need a afm female plug ( anyone have a broken afm?) to make my MAT and IAT harness and I'll be good to go :)

joe's gt
08-15-2010, 06:13 AM
Eduardo, dude, you will spend just as much on an 3rd gen conversion as you would on a Megasquirt or MAPECU2. So much better to go the EMS route.

lalojamesliz
08-18-2010, 10:04 AM
To be honest Im not sure what everything cost me. I Bought my jumper harness for $86 from berk and my st205 ecu for $65 and I might need a IAT sensor so 70 for a new one or less for a used. the igniter, MAT sensor, 4 wire O2 sensor and coil I already had. I bought my map sensor and injectors in a really good package deal so really I didn't spend much at all. I wanted and was going to buy a aem ems but the money it would cost for the ems would have maxed out my small budget and their is still the tunning fee :( for now I'm sure I'll be very happy since I'll be ableto remove the afm and use it as a piņata and just have a smoother running engine if everything goes good with the swap. My next project is to install 1 of the gen3 top ends I have. I have everything i need for that but I'm just missing some gaskets and to fond time to drive to my friends place and knock it out

ChrisD
08-18-2010, 03:27 PM
Well, if you do the gen 3 conversion, at least then a Power FC is a simple plug in and go ordeal. Lots of info on them, I run it and also lots of info from the guys on mr2oc.com.

But the gen 3 ECU is buttery smooth, I love that I have my 205 for it's nice-ness to drive. :)

---------- Post added at 08:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 AM ----------

Oh and for the record on costs, I think I spent $800 all-in on my setup. ~500 for a used PFC, and ~300 for the datalogit. And a few bucks for an AIT sensor.

lalojamesliz
08-20-2010, 06:18 AM
I thought of the power fc also but does it HAVE to be tuned to use it on a daily driver? I'll run my gen3 set up for a while then switch to a power fc or just continue my 5sgte build and then get a ems :) I don't know what to do lol. I just bought the last things I needed, my IAT sensor w/ the pigtail for $15 shipped from Josh at Chico race works. I was about to buy just the sensor for $70 too :) and the adapter plate for the MAT sensor from KO racing. I just have to wait for my stuff to arrive, Shouldn't be much longer before everything arrives then the install fun begins. The hardest thing will be those freaking injectors :(

ChrisD
08-20-2010, 06:11 PM
Yes, the Power FC would require tuning. 100%. If I were you, I'd just go with the gen3, then go from there if you want more. The gen 3 ecu is very nice.