PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Headlight Burnout

Car_Barn_Bandit
08-06-2010, 04:34 AM
Last week, my driver side (left) headlight burned out quickly followed by the passenger (right). I get my new bulbs and only the passenger side is burned out. The replacement passenger side works, is much brighter then norm and the new driver side is non functional. They both work on high beams, but not low.

Either a fuse is shot, or I got a relay short. Anyone dealt with this before? Id use the search but I'm on me phone...

Thanks!!

Galcobar
08-06-2010, 11:52 AM
Tried swapping the new bulbs, just to make sure it's the car and not the parts?

alltracNyx
08-06-2010, 06:48 PM
It sounds like you have already replaced your bulbs. Definitely double check your fuses, but ALSO check your connectors at the lights. I doubt it's a fuse because I don't believe the high and low beams are fused separately; if you are getting driver side high beam, you should be getting the low beam as well. Unless it's relay or connector related...

Connectors get water in them and rust out all the time, especially in the engine bay. This could have caused the bulbs to blow in the first place and could also contribute to your continued issue with the driver side low beam. Let me know what you figure out.

Car_Barn_Bandit
08-09-2010, 04:41 AM
Ok, bulbs are fine. When I pull the passenger fuse, the passenger light goes out. When I only pull the driver fuse, the passenger lightbulb is dim, and the drive side slowly illuminates to a dull red. Short in the fuse box! Ill get it figured out and let you know what the deal is. I could use new harness ends, they look mighty corroded.

rizin
08-09-2010, 06:08 AM
I would pull out the volt meter and start testing at the plug for the bulbs. Testing from 12v source in the plug to ground on the body(headlight switched to on). Then after that the two grounding spots in each plug to the positive terminal on the batt (one for low beam and the other for High beam). From there I think we could help better with that info.

Car_Barn_Bandit
10-06-2010, 08:48 PM
I finally got a moment to test the headlights out. I was getting no reading until I turned on the brights and got a steady drop off. Completely bizarre. I just cut out the harness and wired on a new end from a Camry. Works fine. Something was shorting out the plug.