PDA

View Full Version : Front axle install ?

90ToyAllTrac
08-05-2010, 04:08 AM
Ive got my car in the air, putting the front back together so I can put it back down. The axles are all the way in. Shifter cables are hooked up correctly. Theres no hydraulic fluid in the lines yet. The clutch pedal toggles from up to down. I was able to get the axle nuts torqed on by having a friend hold the hub still with a crow bar. But Im still worried that I can turn the hub and axles easily with one hand while the shifter is in first gear position. Shouldnt the piston compression be holding it at that point? If so, what could I have missed?

Mafix
08-05-2010, 04:39 PM
you do realize that the front diff is open on all alltracs right?

90ToyAllTrac
08-06-2010, 06:10 AM
yeah someone said if you turn it and the other axle turns other way you are fine. honestly i still dont get the open diff, closed diff, they rotate opposite by hand but when the engine does it they go the same way. I can swap an engine but I still dont understand this. Anyway, looks like its ok for now.

The Captain
08-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Assemble the entire hub, including the brakes. Notice there is a big hole in the middle of the rotor? Have someone hold the brakes while you torque the nut.

90ToyAllTrac
08-06-2010, 04:57 PM
I had a friend on the wrench and me on the crowbar to the lug bolts. Got er done. im gonna have a shop air wrench it to be sure. the bearings got pulled together.

blakeyg123
08-11-2010, 11:58 AM
I use the brakes to hold the axel while I tighten.
Not sure if I am on the same subject
Basically when the 2m pole comes out (torque advantage) it never ends up good. Many broken bolts.