PDA

View Full Version : Changed the hatch struts out

Nitro_Alltrac
07-31-2010, 08:05 PM
I changed out my hatch struts today. The old ones had held up pretty well, not working on when it was could. But last week in 90 heat they started failing. I was putting groceries in the back when they decided to quit working. It doesn't feel too good getting hit in the back by that hatch.

Any way, I picked up a pair of new ones at O'Reilly's (doing my part to keep Crisco employed) for $40. Let me tell you, it made a difference. Not only does the hatch stay up, now when I pop the latch from the inside release it opens on it's own.

One thing about installing the new struts, regardless of where you get them. You have to drill out the giant rivet holding them to body side bracket. It's not hard but there's not really another way around that. You could grind them off.

I'd recommend buying these if your hatch isn't staying open. It's hard, at least around here, to even find a hatch in a salvage yard. And if you do, more than likely they struts aren't going to be any better than the ones you've currently got and if they currently work they may not for long.

UtahSleeper
08-01-2010, 08:26 AM
When I replaced mine I was amazed that the hatch would open on it's own when I popped it.

Although, I didn't have to drill out any rivets. The ones I got from ebay were straight swap.

5thgenkeeper
08-01-2010, 01:09 PM
I bought the Rhino-Pac ones and they were a direct replacement, just two bolts, no drilling. My hatch doesn't pop all the way up on it's own though, just enough to clear the latch.

Hookecho
08-01-2010, 03:24 PM
I need to replace mine as well. I'm going to get them from Oh Really's too.

Nitro_Alltrac
08-01-2010, 03:45 PM
The ones I got for O'Reilly's use the original bracket. That's what I had to drill out. Well worth the trouble. That damn hatch is pretty heavy when it falls on you're back and you don't see it coming!

Hookecho
08-01-2010, 03:54 PM
Yeah, i have been using a broom handle to hold mine up. It does suck when i bump the handle and the hatch drops down on me.

I don't open the hatch much being that i don't daily drive my car. I probably would not have thought about replacing the struts if not for this thread.

darthripley
08-06-2010, 07:42 PM
i got some used oem ones that weren't that used & it makes a huge difference.
vadar's always acted up in the cold - you would have to pump the hatch up & down several times to make it hold open, not fun given how heavy the damn hatch is.

i got smacked by vadar's door once i can only imagine how much that hurt getting popped by the hatch - ouch!!

Nitro_Alltrac
08-06-2010, 10:54 PM
It's amazing how heavy that hatch is without the struts, even the worn out ones.

The first time it dropped on me at Walmart a few weeks ago was a shock. I have to say there were several bad words uttered.:disturbed:

darthripley
08-06-2010, 11:13 PM
^ I think Alltracs are used to hearing strings of bad words :nuts:

Grandmastalo
08-06-2010, 11:47 PM
I just recently changed mine too. And like you I drilled that rivet. Pretty dumb how they don't make it replaceable. Anyways after I bought the new hatch struts, I later found ones that you can just directly bolt on, for about the same price. Oh well. Haha

http://www.autopartsbylou.com/lift-supports-product.php?item=10536-537&qty=2&make=TOYOTA&model=Celica+GTS&year=1990&type=Rear%20Hatch

91BlackTRAC
08-07-2010, 07:32 AM
Nitro, where did you originally get your first set of replacement hatch struts?

Galcobar
08-07-2010, 09:15 AM
Heh -- I actually like the struts being weak enough that they cannot open the hatch without help. Had to carry some baseboards recently which were too long to close the hatch, and there's no available tie-down in the trunk. The very weight of the hatch kept it down as I drove.

MCcelica
08-07-2010, 09:42 AM
This reminds me, I need to do that with my 7th gen too. Hmm...

Nitro_Alltrac
08-07-2010, 02:39 PM
Nitro, where did you originally get your first set of replacement hatch struts?

This was the first time they had been replace. At least it looked that way.

donteatbugs
08-08-2010, 04:00 AM
i have ebay ones on my alltrac and 7th gen, bolt on goodness

85gtsblackman
08-08-2010, 04:25 AM
what are the hatch struts u speak of

factory 1994 coupe deck struts ftw

oh btw rock auto sold me a pair of hatch shocks for 17 and some change shipped, gts almost flys open now