PDA

View Full Version : Celica is gonna be parked for at least a year or more...

joe's gt
07-31-2010, 06:19 PM
So my dd swapped celi had an s54. On my way to work yesterday, 5th gear grenaded itself. Surprisingly, 1st-4th and reverse are still there. I baby the crap out of this car and was just cruising at a constant speed when I heard a whine a weird sound and then all the sudden 5th was gone.

So probably gonna be parked for awhile, except the occasional short drive and gonna save up for megans, e153 w/ axles, and tons of other stuff to really giver her the power that she needs. The smart thing to do would be to sell her, but I've put so much into her I can't bring myself to do it.

ChrisD
08-01-2010, 05:42 PM
:(

Smart thing to sell? No way Joe! A tranny is an easy fix. Heck, you could always find a cheap replacement s54 and pop it in in a weekend and be back on the road. (but, I know you're wanting to 'do it right', so I understand)

So were you in 5th when it happened?

joe's gt
08-01-2010, 07:13 PM
So were you in 5th when it happened?

Yup, just cruising on the highway, and started to hear a whine and a weird sound and then the car stopped accelerating. Once I shifted down to 4th, car was good again. However, most of my driving to work is highway driving at 75-80 mph and the celica can only make it up to 60 mph in fourth before its at 4k rpm. If it was shift linkage I don't think it would go into reverse, so I think 5th is just toast. I think years of cruising at 4k rpm did it in. It still shifts into 5th, but it is like nothing is there and I am revving in neutral.

However, I just realized that I am moving home in a month to save up for a down payment on a house and my commute is on city roads where I don't typically go much more than 60, so I might just use it as a dd for a few months longer. For now my dad lent me his truck for the freeway commute.

Shadowlife25
08-03-2010, 05:10 AM
Best of Luck Joe :(

You know you can call me anytime man.