PDA

View Full Version : A couple questions about a swap

Farlow1
07-29-2010, 02:04 PM
I currently have a 91 st184 and im looking to swap a 3sgte from a 92 mr2 in the near future. im set on this already because im getting the motor/trans/ecu/harness from a friend of a friend, and the motor is already hopped up some, and it's all only $1000!
I will probably have a million questions about random things, so for now i'll just limit myself to the following...

1. if i have the whole set up including the harness and ecu from an mr2 exactly what kind of rewiring will i have to do to get it done, like one plug, or half of the whole harness?

2. if i want to swap to a different guage cluster, should i get a gts cluster or an all-trac clsuter, mainly idk if the volt meter in the gts will work as a volt meter or will it read as boost since im using a turbo ecu?

3. i know i need the outter cv axles from a v6 camry but what does that really include, just the part that goes into the hub or is some of the shaft needed too?

4.i know the shifter linkages will be wonky since its a mr2 tranny, so is there an easy way to fab up new ones, or even rig, or is my best bet to go with the assembly off of an alltrac tranny, or could i use the assemby off of my 5s tranny?

money is kind of an issue because i'm in college and things are pretty tight right now...

4thgenceli
07-29-2010, 02:33 PM
You'll need to re-wire the harness. Don't ask me what, I had Tweak do my harness.

You'll need to use some of your st184 parts from your engine instead of the MR2 (mainly some accessories and mount brackets/mounts).

Not really a problem using your gauge cluster if the harness is wired correctly.

If you want to use the MR2 transmission, you'll need the mr2 inner axle stubs, and st185/v6 camry outter shafts.

You'll need to convert the mr2 transmision to FWD from RWD. It's a matter of moving the shift linkages and cable bracket to the other side of the transmission. You can use parts from the st185 to make this happen. ST184 may work, but mine was done using st165/185 parts. You'll also need your speed sensor off your old transmission, and a st185 north/south crossmember and rear mount bracket. I'd also use the st185 upper transmission mount and bracket, as the st184 may not quite fit right (may need to round some holes/etc to make it fit).

money is kind of an issue because i'm in college and things are pretty tight right now...

Don't do the swap. Take the $1000, and spend it on the car or save it now (tune up/upgrades/etc). Usually want to plan for a few thousand for the swap and uh-oh's down the road.

I suggest highly to read the stickies in the Forced Induction forum to get an idea of whats needed for swapping and such.

ChrisD
07-29-2010, 05:21 PM
1. MR2 harnesses are a pain (relatively). I've done them though, shouldn't be too big a problem especially if tweak does yours. Yeah, it's more like "half the harness" as you say.

2. Volt meter and turbo gauge are different pins I'm pretty sure. Just use your stock one, if you want to change it later then do, but it's not going to gain you much as the Alltrac boost gauge is pretty well useless.

3 & 4 Tim knows better than me

85gtsblackman
07-29-2010, 07:04 PM
1. have dr tweek do your harness
2. just get an aftermarket guage.
3&4, everyone else knows better than me

if money is tight and u dont have a 2nd vehicle of your own either aquire 2nd job, new job, or if your getting a good deal just sit on the swap till u save up money or buy stuff for it a little at a time.

Farlow1
07-29-2010, 07:16 PM
ok i'll clarify... i already have an aftermarket volt meter hooked up, so i dont need the one in the gts cluster. but if i do the swap should i just get the gts cluster and then install an aftermarket boost gauge where my volt meter is currently, that way im not "double-gauging"?
do i have the option for either, just by swapping where the pin goes to change which it is reading?

ChrisD
07-29-2010, 07:34 PM
I would just leave it alone. Stock gauges are useless, just go with an aftermarket boost gauge and call it a day. :)

Farlow1
07-29-2010, 08:02 PM
well i want a new gauge because my tach went out on mine, and i figured i could go ahead and get the 150mph gauge while i was in the market for one...

Hookecho
07-29-2010, 10:45 PM
Is that a 6th Gen rear wing on your car?

Farlow1
07-30-2010, 02:23 AM
actually its a wing off of a neon, its been on there for like 2 years and i only just figured out what it was from. I worked in a body shop for a while and we had a bunch of random parts laying around lol