PDA

View Full Version : custom carbon parts

v8killer
07-29-2010, 02:23 AM
we(team vendetta) have a place where we can make custom carbon parts for the toyota celica 86 to current. the prices will be announced when the interest is confirmed. the parts we are gauging interest in are:

st16x: oem style hood, vented hood with the "rc hood bulge", rear hatch and other styling bits, and my favorite a full carbon roof(only installed in california) my car will be the test bed for most of these parts and pics will be up soon.

st18x/at180: oem hood, alltrac hood, rear hatch, full carbon roof, trunk for the coupe guys, and other styling bits.

st20x: oem hood, full carbon roof, rear hatch, oem wing, possible gt-four wing inserts/extensions and other styling parts.

zzt23x: full carbon hood, rear hatch, oem hood with larger scoop.

please list any other parts you for sure will want to buy, and let everyone know there will be parts finally available for your celica!

there is a minimum amount but it will not be ridiculous like ten or something.

contact me by:
phone 831 207 9851
facebook, sleeper_165@yahoo.com
or pm/email- this will take a bit since i am hardly on

KM
07-29-2010, 02:52 AM
I would love to see 185 trunk and/or roof.
They make them for the Del Sol, and they're wickedly badass.

Grot
07-29-2010, 02:58 AM
I may be interested in the st16x hood providing pics and price.

---------- Post added at 01:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 AM ----------

Also if you were to do a st16x carbon trunk for a coupe model I would buy one without any second thought. I didn't fully read the first post so I understand about the price but pics would be awesome even if just Photoshop.

acidice333
07-29-2010, 03:14 AM
Can you make a replacement ST185 hatch but instead of a clone in carbon how about a trunk/bed style? :) Something like straight down from the top hinges, all the way down to the spare wheel and flat all the way and then back up to the latch

Grot
07-29-2010, 03:41 AM
Steve your talking something like some of the rx7 hatches. To have a rear similar to a del sol?

BlueDragon
07-29-2010, 03:46 AM
That would be awesome I see it like going down to right above the back seats and behind them slightly... with a small window that would be much lighter then a stock one, perhaps one that actually opens in some fashion so we don't hafta die inside our black on black leather saunas.... sorry its gotta be close to 100 here lol but blocking all that sun light and providing some air flow would improve a 185 a million times IMO.

Also I think a 18X hood with a large vent for the multitude of people whom have FMIC setups? I am so tempted to take my dremel to my hood and re-weld the scoop on backwards because all the heat is getting stuck in my engine bay. booooo

acidice333
07-29-2010, 04:11 AM
More like a Del Sol but with a bed so I can throw stuff in like a truck :)

4thgenceli
07-29-2010, 04:34 AM
I'd be interested in the st162 hood with the RC vents/bulge pending pics & price of course :P

Shadowlife25
07-29-2010, 03:08 PM
More like a Del Sol but with a bed so I can throw stuff in like a truck :)

Quite possibly the most ghey thing you have ever said Steve. Boooooooo!:lame::lame::lame: Go buy a truck. :tongue_1:

Steve your talking something like some of the rx7 hatches. To have a rear similar to a del sol?

On the Rx-7 it was made by a company called Mariah, and it was awesome.
This would simply be the best thing ever for beautification of this chassis (ST18x).
I planned something like this a while back but never had the funds or knowledge to make a proto.

Naemion
07-29-2010, 03:24 PM
How much for a 18x alltrac hood?

Terracar
07-29-2010, 03:43 PM
Interested in ST18x hatch and possible roof.

-Terracar

mar_phi6
07-29-2010, 04:42 PM
let us know about the cb oem style trunk im interested?

celicasilfee
07-29-2010, 06:40 PM
I'd definitely be interested in a hatch, also depending on pics/price.

And how about some headlight covers for those of us who already have a cf hood & want the headlights to match??

celica9303
07-30-2010, 04:41 AM
5th gen trunk...

How bout a replica cooling panel in cf

Grot
07-30-2010, 05:23 AM
I think the cooling panel and the headlight covers are a good idea.

91BlackTRAC
08-02-2010, 07:14 AM
Definitely would go for the ST185 rear hatch.

Grot
08-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Also would you be willing to go as far as spoilers? The 3 piece coupe spoiler for a 4g would go along great with a carbon trunk.

JDM SNUKUMZ
08-02-2010, 07:30 PM
I be interested in the 5th gen trunk for the couple model.

ericfragola
08-21-2010, 04:56 AM
From what I understand, carbon fiber is just like fiberglass (just a different cloth is used). I've had plenty of experience with fiberglass. (repairing my jetski, sub boxes, and bodykit) Theoretically, could I make a fiberglass hood just how I want it, then throw a sheet of carbon fiber ontop for the look? Ie: using CF for looks but fiberglass to fill in the rest since CF is so expensive. :P

tvt5043
08-21-2010, 07:37 PM
I am interested also, price and pics plz

ravensguildassasin
08-21-2010, 08:35 PM
i would be interested in parts for ST162 vert XD

Dougy90
08-22-2010, 04:56 AM
yes carbon fiber composites are similar to fiberglass. You can lay-up the composites in the same manner as you would fiberglass, but should use epoxy as the binder. Since epoxy has better shear qualities and adheres to the fibers extremely well. You will also get better results if you vacuum bag the lay-up.

I plan on doing something like this is the fall during school. I want to make the front pieces out of real carbon fiber and possibly add a front diffuser if time permits. Making the molds will be the most time consuming process.

ericfragola
08-22-2010, 05:05 AM
What exactly do you mean by "vaccuum bag"? That's interesting to know about using epoxy instead of resin. And I actually AM contemplating about replacing every single body panel with custom carbon parts....you can tell me that the image of a full carbon fiber body on an ST165 wouldn't look SEXY. :) I love the reflection CF gives...a full car like that would be badass. I've seen it done before on a MClaren but that's it. CF is very expensive though. So I would slowlyyyyy convert everything to CF from metal.

4thgenceli
08-22-2010, 05:15 AM
Vacuum bag is a way to get all the air out of the layers of carbon fiber/whatever. Also used for some plastic molding processes.

LPXn038ahD4

Dougy90
08-22-2010, 07:12 AM
ya thats vacuum bagging...also helps force the resin into the fibers because of the pressure.

It would be cool to see a full carbon ST185, not sure if it would be worth it IMO. too much cost

ericfragola
08-22-2010, 08:36 AM
Ah ok, I see. If I could get a hold of something to do that, that'd be great. I see how it presses everything together snoothly. :)

As for a FULL CF body, not sure about that....but for now I will be doing the hood and trunk first. And if I fo end up doing the whole body, id start from the front to the back. But that'll be a while from now. I still have to work on getting the damn thing street legal :P

I have the 185 engine in the 165 body...it'll pass emissions but idk if it'll pass smog cause the check engine lights on :( any suggestions?

---------- Post added at 12:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 AM ----------

Ah ok, I see. If I could get a hold of something to do that, that'd be great. I see how it presses everything together snoothly. :)

As for a FULL CF body, not sure about that....but for now I will be doing the hood and trunk first. And if I fo end up doing the whole body, id start from the front to the back. But that'll be a while from now. I still have to work on getting the damn thing street legal :P

I have the 185 engine in the 165 body...it'll pass emissions but idk if it'll pass smog cause the check engine lights on :( any suggestions?

Night_Wolf
09-08-2010, 07:23 PM
I'd be interested in a CF RC hood and trunk for a coupe

grimmythereaper
09-09-2010, 04:02 AM
trunk for a coupe 1990 st please

Physlis
09-09-2010, 04:37 AM
Definitely a ST18X hatch, maybe some folding mirrors too.

ChrisD
09-09-2010, 10:37 PM
I think a drop vent style is much better suited to the st16x than the round RC style.

a la

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/4/ae86_vent.jpg

If like that, I'd be interested.

D3animation
09-16-2010, 03:52 AM
agreed drop vent would look very shmick.

i would be interested in something like an M3 style cf folding mirror... Asking too much?? :P

im already going to be getting a cs cf hood and looking at the cf headlight covers that are on ebay. but i have thought a cf rear hatch or doors would go nicely tho i personally wouldnt want the cf look on the doors or trunk :clumsy: but thats coz i want a particular paint theme to the car. tho for weight reduction i have been looking at plastic instead of glass for the rear hatch
"http://www.plastics4performance.com/Lexan--Makrolon--Perspex-race-and-rally-windows-and-window-kits/TOYOTA----LEXAN--MAKROLON-POLYCARBONATE-WINDOWS/CELICA-ST-185/INDIVIDUAL-WINDOWS/TOYOTA-CELICA-ST185---Rear-windscreen/p-288-500-502-800-683/"

but i guess all this is future planning ive got to get it back on the road first geting some minor pannel beating and then painted :D

sleeper
10-13-2010, 07:41 PM
Interested in rear hatch and hood for a t16 celica ( droped vent would be best.. and it need to be LIGHT! only reason i want ot change it)

Tecker184
10-14-2010, 03:19 AM
put me on the list for hatch and roof.

Carolina91GT-S
10-16-2010, 08:51 PM
How about actual carbon fiber parts to replace the faux carbon parts that are expensive crappy plastic copies of what should have been expensive cool details on my otherwise cool car.

Oh and actual carbon fiber interior parts would be cool, dash parts, arm rests, etc

carbon fiber system 10 door panels would RAWK!

~Chris

Toyota_Todd
10-17-2010, 12:20 AM
Would there be enought interest to do a carbon fiber version of the JDM Toyota accessory ST185 rear hatch visor. I know that the Toyota one is smoked, but it does not matter because it does not block any of your rearward vision. If you guys are interested, I will see if I can get access to the one in question for a prototype. The clips are hardware would have to replicated also. I personally love the look of this piece, but I know not everyone is a fan. To each there own taste.

Night_Wolf
10-18-2010, 06:18 AM
How about actual carbon fiber parts to replace the faux carbon parts that are expensive crappy plastic copies of what should have been expensive cool details on my otherwise cool car.

Im with Chris on this one

Carolina91GT-S
10-29-2010, 04:07 AM
I might be interested in the rear visor...

How about the faux CF replacements..... I really think those would draw some interest. And they couldn't be expensive to produce, I expect you could compete wit the new OEM parts...and that is a competition that you would win every time. I suspect that they would not be hard to make either, not much to them. If you decide to do these, Put me at the top of the list.

Oh yeah also interested in a CF or aluminum replacement for the crappy plastic cooling plate that goes between the radiator and the front bumper.

~Chris

v8killer
10-29-2010, 04:59 AM
sorry everyone been busy, yes the visors sound good i do need to have some parts sent to me and will be essentially ruined in order to make the molds for some of the parts keep in contact with me pm me to get my phone number as texting will be a more for sure way to get ahold of me

v8killer
10-29-2010, 05:02 AM
oh and to chrisD yeah i agree on the hood, i have to prototype it first with a straight hood that i dont have right now

ericfragola
10-29-2010, 06:06 PM
I've been chatting with V8killer via text message and I'm only 2hours away from him. I'm going to supply him with a 16X hood, hatch, and stock wing :) hopefully we can get these carbon fiber parts made and shipped! :D

I'm also with chrisD on the drop vent style hood. It would look sexy on my 165. :)

sleeper
10-30-2010, 12:13 AM
Sounds GREAT:-)

ericfragola
10-30-2010, 12:26 AM
Definately :) I'm down to go drop off the parts to him this/next week on my day off. Just a matter of when were both free :) also, for those of us that have the carpet inserts on the doors, if you pull that off its a metal piece wrapped in carpet. I've yet to ask him, but I'm curious if we can get those metal pieces wrapped in CF so we can have CF inserts on the doors and rear. Of course its just a thought tho. But id love to have it :)

Carolina91GT-S
11-01-2010, 03:40 AM
I am sending him donor faux CF pieces for the 5th gen front end. C'mon guys tell him that the community wants these things

Car_Barn_Bandit
11-01-2010, 03:57 AM
Oh yeah also interested in a CF or aluminum replacement for the crappy plastic cooling plate that goes between the radiator and the front bumper.

If I could have a replacement that holds my tools / parts, i'd buy two. That piece could be made into something really nice.

v8killer
11-01-2010, 11:37 PM
yep the hood for the 165 will be just oem style for right now unless u want to have me make it as the "drop vent" style, i think the carbon inserts will be a good idea as well. and yes this weekend is free for me but just call to make sure, as for the other parts i still would need donor parts, but for now the parts coming in will have to be made before i can accept more unless people dont mind waiting as i will only have time during the weekend.

v8killer
11-01-2010, 11:40 PM
text me ur name along with ur screen name so i dont get things confused please :D

celica9303
11-02-2010, 01:17 AM
+1 for real cf front end grills/ headlight garnish....and trunk lid for st184.

maxxximus
11-02-2010, 01:28 AM
+1 to the 18x alltrac hood w/scoop... that'd be sweet

ericfragola
11-02-2010, 05:06 AM
ok, ive taken the initiative and im going to make the dropvent style hood for the 16X out of my spare hood. its going to be used for the mold for the CF. so it can save V8killer some time and he can actually focus on making the molds instead of making a prototype first. please, post a link if theres any specific vent you want on the hood. sendingmethe actualvent would be evn better :)

as for what im going to supply him with to make out of CF, the list concludes of:

door panel inserts front and rear
hood with drop vent
hatch
3 piece wing

anything else that the 4th gen bodies out there want? add to the list. i can get whatever you want. spare center console to make out of CF? i can get it. so if you want it made, post it. but so far those 4 i posted for the 16X seem to be the most wanted.

gotta love this celica community :D

ericfragola
11-02-2010, 05:11 AM
!!! cant forget fender flares! ive been wanting some CF ones forever!

Physlis
11-02-2010, 07:06 AM
+1 for the grille inserts, headlamp surrounds, radiator plate etc. for 18X. Redoing some of the interior panels would be pretty cool too, possibly some underbody diffusers?

sleeper
11-02-2010, 12:13 PM
ok, ive taken the initiative and im going to make the dropvent style hood for the 16X out of my spare hood. its going to be used for the mold for the CF. so it can save V8killer some time and he can actually focus on making the molds instead of making a prototype first. please, post a link if theres any specific vent you want on the hood. sendingmethe actualvent would be evn better :)

as for what im going to supply him with to make out of CF, the list concludes of:

door panel inserts front and rear
hood with drop vent
hatch
3 piece wing

anything else that the 4th gen bodies out there want? add to the list. i can get whatever you want. spare center console to make out of CF? i can get it. so if you want it made, post it. but so far those 4 i posted for the 16X seem to be the most wanted.

gotta love this celica community :D

I have a hood with a droped vent on my car, looks REALLY cool!
I can surply you with messurments if you want it.

Se the link and you will find pictures of it. ( this is my car. )
http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31059

( and this is a new prodject tread i stawrted about my car.. )

http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=39203

v8killer
11-02-2010, 06:23 PM
i would much rather have the style of the hood pictured in page 1, also in that same position.

v8killer
11-10-2010, 02:30 AM
i do like ur hood tho

received : 5th gen front grill/trim

work on it starts Saturday.

Carolina91GT-S
11-11-2010, 02:33 AM
cool,I await axiously.

How about the plate from the front bumper to the radiator? Will you be making these? Would be a cool matching piece

~Chris

Ghost
11-11-2010, 03:44 AM
u can sign me up for a st18x hatch, st18x oem hood, st18x 3 piece wing, st18x fenders. anything really lol

Night_Wolf
11-11-2010, 05:46 PM
Sweet im excited for the trim hope it goes well

v8killer
11-11-2010, 07:43 PM
cool,I await axiously.

How about the plate from the front bumper to the radiator? Will you be making these? Would be a cool matching piece

~Chris

i would actually, they just might be made of a flat sheet and it will have to be made after some other parts get done send it to me if u like.

u can sign me up for a st18x hatch, st18x oem hood, st18x 3 piece wing, st18x fenders. anything really lol

hatch hood and wing are a good possibility right now but u will have to wait for the other parts to get done.

cris, text me today or tomorrow please.

jvtran
11-17-2010, 12:21 AM
Still interested in that rear visor for a gen 5 coupe. Will buy for sure if done good.

ericfragola
11-17-2010, 01:41 AM
so heres an update: saturday im going up to v8killers place to get some wiring help with my swap. while im there im dropping off the hatch, wing, some interior pieces, as well as some other things youll have to wait to see ;) he gave me an estimate of 3weeks from the time i drop the parts off. after 3weeks, im going back up, getting everything put on my 165, and taking pics then posting them. (assuming everything fits nicely). if everythings perfect, he will be able to make some more and get these badboy pieces out there to our community.

as for the hood, until i can get a drop vent style put on, it will be on the back burner. wouldnt be worth it to me to get just a plain flat one...i like the style of the one on the ae86, as well as an oem evo8 hood. if anyone can find anything like these PM me a link. im anxious to get a hood as sexy as that ae86's.

Carolina91GT-S
11-18-2010, 03:11 PM
Just wanted to check in and see if there is any new progress

~ Chris

187flatliner
11-20-2010, 08:00 PM
what about the front lip spoiler in a one piece tho without the holes? for the fourth gen of course.

Magnum
11-21-2010, 06:58 AM
If you made a Rear Diffuser like this for the ST185 I would pay $600 for one. I'd even pay a deposit to secure one.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o309/magnum126/IMG_3205.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o309/magnum126/diffuser.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o309/magnum126/resizedpictures05031ti7.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o309/magnum126/rx7build002-2.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o309/magnum126/rx7build003-1.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o309/magnum126/resizedjdmparts1g003lr7.jpg

Ghost
11-21-2010, 03:13 PM
v8killer the wait will all be worth it, thats 1 badass rx-7

pintoBC_3sgte
11-21-2010, 11:49 PM
id also be interested in a cf rad. cooling plate for the 18x if you do it. i know theres another thread doing an aluminum one

yotakrawler
11-22-2010, 02:50 AM
I'd be in for a 16x hood w/ drop out vent... very interested to see how these turn out.

v8killer
11-24-2010, 08:50 AM
k here is the newest update

most of the parts eric was going to bring were brought lol, i did underestimate the total cost of the carbon material but i am trying to work a deal with them and i really dont want to use any fiberglass as a filler cuz thats gay. the materials were on sale when we got the pricing before, so if all goes well we will keep overall cost of the parts less than your average brands whilst it being made entirely of carbon.

id also be interested in a cf rad. cooling plate for the 18x if you do it. i know theres another thread doing an aluminum one

if u can get me that aluminum one it would be great, just to make a template

what about the front lip spoiler in a one piece tho without the holes? for the fourth gen of course.

i am down for that as well after the previous parts get done i would need a sacrificial good condition lip

If you made a Rear Diffuser like this for the ST185 I would pay $600 for one. I'd even pay a deposit to secure one.

i like that defuser and there is one in the works that will be usable on the 4th and 5th gen with different separate attachment plates, again thats back burner/when we get to it type stuff. need a test fit car tho when we do that

187flatliner
11-25-2010, 06:38 PM
Quote Originally Posted by 187flatliner View Post
i am down for that as well after the previous parts get done i would need a sacrificial good condition lip

well the only lip that i know of without any holes in it is across the pond and i highly doubt he would send it due to its not custom and hes only seen his in the four years of looking.

heres a pic.

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr292/_MrMagoo/Cars/Toyota%20Celica/88PC240121.jpg

187flatliner
11-28-2010, 06:24 AM
ANY UPDATES?

Rickstar22
11-28-2010, 07:35 AM
+1 on that front lip for the 4th gen. I'd get in line for one or 2 of those....

v8killer
12-15-2010, 09:32 PM
update

got a friend helping me on this now since i am hella busy at work. all u gotta do is get that lip in to me and cover the cost of materials, but i still need to get a good price in the material cuz the last place tried to f me. please hit me with links i do have one possible place that could be the supplier. sorry for the lag just have some patience the parts are all almost prepped. remember, text me for any questions. 831 207 9851

ChrisD
12-15-2010, 09:35 PM
hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood hood

please :D

187flatliner
12-15-2010, 10:53 PM
Not gonna be able to get a lip to u. There's only one in existing. How much for materials we talking?

elcaci
12-16-2010, 01:48 AM
how much for a celica st165 hood(bonet) sent to the u.k?

Ghost
01-10-2011, 06:48 AM
v8 any updates ?, we know you are busy so when u have time just post !!!

v8killer
01-11-2011, 08:00 PM
well i got a price for the cost on the faux cf to real cf front end parts but havent gotten a reply i hope i sent the texts to the correct number if not send me a text asap.

boo_guy
01-12-2011, 07:20 AM
Ive been lurking for a few weeks now and this thread got me to come out hiding.

Put me down as a +1 on the real cf front end trim pieces. Im pretty interested in the radiator panel and the rear diffuser as well.

If I had my wish Id like to see a front lip for the 185, and some corner bumper pieces (spats?) as well. These wouldnt need to be cf though, fg would be good too. The only lips I can find for the 185 seem to be from the UK.

Is anyone here interested in anything for the tail lights? I like the afterburners for the st205, getting that for the st185 would be pretty cool. Even something simple like cf tail light covers that we could then cutup ourselves would be sweet.

Anyway Im certainly down for the CF trim pieces.

temperacerguy
01-21-2011, 09:26 AM
What's your cost on CF? I'm currently buying mine for $24-27 per yard (50" wide yard) in both 1x1 cloth and 2x2 twill. What brand/system of resin are you using? does it use UV inhibitors?
How thick will you be doing your layups? Do you plan on using foamcore construction, or are you going to be using a skeleton frame for the hoods?

v8killer
01-22-2011, 12:50 AM
uv yes but where are you gettin the fabric is it good quality? its 6k what i can get and the 2x2.

temperacerguy
01-22-2011, 01:53 AM
It's 3K 6oz 2by2 twill. It's perfect for what you are using, as you don't need the modus of elastisity of 6K carbon fiber as what you are making is purely costmetic. The thinner twill will allow the fabric to drape well, and comform to compound curves better than higher fillament count tow fabrics as 6K or 12K.

The quality is excellent. I have used their carbon fiber, carbon/kevlar, and pure kevlar fabrics in the past.

It's CJ composites in fountain valley, Cali. thier phone number is 951-505-0155

Now that I've helped you out, how about the rest of my questions?

Now, you didn't answer my other questions... What resin system are you using? what construction techniques will you be using for these items, and what have you made in the past?

v8killer
01-27-2011, 08:42 AM
i have been talking to cj composites also, they told me a different cost. the resin will be from them, its their uv resin. its supposed to be a very good uv protectant. i have made some interior parts for my integra when i had it. and i will be making a mold and baking the parts in the mold no vacuum infusion. kinda wasteful in terms of resin usage but it works pretty well and keeps cost reasonable too. oh and i dont plan on using any fiberglass as a filler or anything

i have only used 6k i could try the 3k is there a big difference?

temperacerguy
01-28-2011, 05:06 AM
i have been talking to cj composites also, they told me a different cost.

Well, they did just bump the price by a buck on the 11th... it's $28 per yard now.

CJ composites E-bay listing for 2x2 twill. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Carbon-Fiber-Cloth-2x2-Twill-50-W-6-oz-/320638749306?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_100&hash=item4aa78f0a7a#ht_500wt_956)

the resin will be from them, its their uv resin. its supposed to be a very good uv protectant.

I use many different epoxies, but for cosmetic stuff like this, I use the west system's ultra clear. It's a true water clear epoxy with excellent UV inhibitors, and can be used as a laminating epoxy as well as a finishing epoxy. CJ composites is not a true clear resin, it has a blue tint to it. Also, the UV stabilized resin is a finishing resin, not a laminating resin. So for a fully cured part you would need to mold the part with a laminating resin, then finish it off with their clear resin.

i have made some interior parts for my integra when i had it. and i will be making a mold and baking the parts in the mold no vacuum infusion. kinda wasteful in terms of resin usage but it works pretty well

Baking the parts in the mold??? Why would you bake the parts? The resin systems you mention are room temperature cure. (70 degrees) If you're adding external heat, you can cause break-down in the polymer resulting in a weak and brittle part. The only carbon fiber that gets baked in the mold is pre-preg, and that's to activate the resin and is done in an autoclave.

...and keeps cost reasonable too. oh and i dont plan on using any fiberglass as a filler or anything

I really don't understand this logic, you say you're trying to keep costs reasonable, but you're wasting the most expensive components of this process; the resin by not vacuum bagging it, and expensive cloth as "filler" as you put it. To me, that's like using picaso and rembrant paintings as insulation in wall space... Lets face it, the parts being made here are "peudo-racer" parts... they are purely cosmetic. This is not an insult, I have quite a few on my cars as well. Hell, I have a carbon fiber top to my entertainment center at my house. (and carbon fiber garage cabinets, carbon fiber to repair my evap canister and on and on and on).

The parts will be no stronger, only heavier, using carbon fiber for the non-surface layers. It will add no structure, only cost.

If I were you... I would use a light 2x2 twill backed up by a light 1x1 cloth (laid on a 45), then backed up with a couple layers of fiberglass cloth or matt. (depending upon the structure/shape. If you were making a structural part, then 4 (or more) layers of CF cloth (in alternating 45 degree angles), with a foam core, and another 4 layers of CF cloth with the whole thing being vacuum bagged.

i have only used 6k i could try the 3k is there a big difference?
The "3k,6k,12k,etc" means the filament count of the tow. The higher the number, the thicker the tow is. The tow is the bundle of fillaments woven through the carbon fiber... for example a 3K cloth, has 3,000 filaments going over 3K, then under 3K in the weaving. a 2x2 3K twill has 2 tow (each with 3K fillaments) going over 2 tow, under 2 tow.

So, the higher the K means the thicker the tow, the thicker the fabric, and the looser the weave. It will have the same tensile strength as lower K fabrics(as you will have more tow in the same space), but it will have a higher modus of elasticity (meaning it will stretch more) as the weave is looser.

The lower the K however will allow the fabric to drape easier over compound curves...

OK, well I am obviously rambling...

v8killer
01-28-2011, 09:18 AM
i dont mind ur rambling when its constructive, dont worry i dont take offense to what u say. i wasnt planning on using a lot of layers in most of the parts but you say that adding layers only adds weight and nothing else but it does add rigidity. i didnt know that resin was room temp curing, i kept the parts at 110-120 degrees and they didnt turn out brittle at all. but maybe it was a waste of energy on my part.

so the west systems ultra clear, i will look this up saturday.

also i used all 2x2 in what i made before is there a true negative to this other than cost?

temperacerguy
01-30-2011, 04:58 AM
OK, let me explain how carbon fiber works....

Carbon fiber is strong in only one way, and that's tensile strength. (meaning stretch) The way that you get rigidity is by using this tensile strength to your advantage...

Lets say that you have a 3' "plank" constructed of 6 layers of carbon fiber layed up right on top of each other (even with thick cloth this would be 3/16" thick). you place this span across a 2 foot gap. you step in the middle, and the carbon fiber will bend into a U and fall into the gap. This is because the tensile strength of the carbon fiber is not being utilized, and the carbon fiber is just bending.

Then let's say that you build another "plank" using 2 layers of thin carbon cloth, then 2" of foam, then 2 layers of carbon cloth. Even though this is using less carbon fiber, You step on this "plank" and it will support your weight with no problems. The reason for this is because you are utilizing the true strength of carbon fiber, it's tensile strength.

As you step on the first plank, the lower most layer is being stretched only a fraction of an inch further than the highest layer... The elastisity of the carbon fiber is making the part flexible.

As you step on the second plank, because of the distance between the upper and lower layers (from the thickness of the foam), the elastisity of the carbon fiber is quickly "used up" and the lowest layers of the carbon fiber are stretched to their max, and the tensile strength of the carbon fiber is being used to support the weight imparted on it.

So, just by adding more layers of carbon fiber, you are not adding strength or rigidity, adding distance between the inner and outter layers is what adds rigidity. Any filler material can be used to increase this distance; carbon fiber, fiberglass, foam, shredded beanie babies, ANYTHING as long as they bind the upper and lower layers together. as the center layers don't do anything to add strength to the part. This is why I question the use of carbon fiber as a filler. It's not adding strength to the part, it's just adding expense and weight as carbon fiber is the heaviest material I listed.

From a strength perspective, the only reason to add more layers of carbon fiber, is if the load imparted on the part causes more tensile load than carbon material is designed for.

for the type of project, the only reason to add a 2nd layer of carbon fiber is to keep light from transmitting through the weave, which is why you want to use a 1x1 cloth on a 45 degree angle as the 2nd layer. as 1x1 is stronger, and lets less light through. It doesn't have the cosmetic look or the drape of 2x2, but it's stronger, and less light permiable.

I thought about it... you're probably adding heat to your parts to keep the viscosity of the epoxy low to keep air bubbles from forming. While you can get away with this with cosmetic only parts that are not going to see any load, you won't be able to get away with this with anything that will see a flex, or carry a load. The excessive heat causes bad mojo in the polymer binders. Think of molasis that has been hit with a blowtorch.. it will carmalize and become brittle.

v8killer
02-01-2011, 02:33 AM
so this filler doesn't have to be extremely thick or fully impregnated with epoxy correct? see i was helping my friend who worked at a shop that made carbon parts for boats and they simply used layers of carbon fiber to make these "speaker towers" and they were very rigid and still relatively lite for the amount of material and size of these things, it took 3 people to move it because of its size but 2 could lift it no problem, they were 8' tall and about 10' across.

for the aesthetic parts its no big deal but i do want to milk you for all the info you got :D . the resin your speaking of is a room temp cure as well, correct?

i know the "basics" of how it works as you say but even the parts i made were more rigid the thicker i made them and i do see how using something other than carbon in the center would have the same effect. it just seemed to me that the fabric itself would be lighter than using other materials.

temperacerguy
02-01-2011, 03:07 AM
I have wasted more thousands working with various laminate constructions than I really care to count. I have no problem sharing information. I have built custom cars, race cars, boats, planes, high power rockets and various other big and small projects. I have learned mostly through failures, and a few small successes :-)

No, the filler material doesn't need to be "dense" but it does need to be rigid to retain the lack of back and forth motion between the layers. Most of the time I use a foam of some sort, such as a pour in place 2 part closed cell epoxy foam, but if it's something I am making a sandwhich laminate, I use foam core material (either scored or non-scored) in various thicknesses depending upon the curves of the part. Current kit planes have wings made of this... the design and structure of the wings are made using foam that's cut with a hot-wire, then fiberglass/carbon fiber/kevlar is laid up wet over the foam to make the structure.

Here's just one place to find this foam core:

For laminate construction, there is alot of information out there in the following fields:

Kit aircraft forums or suppliers such as aircraft spruce or fibreglast (fiberglass/carbon fiber with foam core construction)
Boat builders (they use resins as top-coats for wood decks, fiberglass for hulls/structures, and foam for floatation)
surfboard builders (foam core construction and various polyesters/resins)

Yes, anything will become more rigid the thicker the part, but you don't need to use a dense material for the core. Hell for structure you don't even need a core as long as the tensile strength of the part is being utilized... Here's an example

I used to make carbon fiber tow handles for waterskiers. I would make them out of two layers of 6K carbon fiber sleeve(CF tubing like a sock), the mold was a 2 piece alluminum negative (one was the bottom, the other was the top) that I had CNCed out of billet. I would thread a length of rubber tubing down the two sleeves (one inside the other), then dip the whole thing in resin making sure there were NO dry spots. I would lay the sleeves/rubber tubing in the bottom half of the mold, then place the top half of the mold on, and bolt them together. I would then inflate the rubber tubing with shop air to press the sleeves against the halves of the mold and squeeze out excess resin. I'd then clamp off the tubing to hold the air pressure, and let the mold sit for a day.

The next day, I would unbolt the mold halves, and split the mold and break out the tow handle out. Deflate the rubber tubing, twist it, and pull it out of the handle. This was my first generation. They were strong enough, and had zero flex. I got great feedback....except there was a problem (I quickly found out), that they didn't float too well. I solved this problem with (again), marine 2 part closed cell foam poured into the center of the handles. These floated no problem, and never had one break.

It's amazing with a little skill, a little knowledge and $5 in materials, that you can make some serious money as each one sold for over $100 to a retailer who re-sold them for $150.

v8killer
02-01-2011, 09:06 AM
lol nice work, i mostly work on engines, turbo'd or not and i race so that takes up most of my time.... well just work does now. thanks for the info on everything i now wont be over-doing things with these parts. oh one last question, is the process different for higher temp requirements for some parts like intake manifolds, intake tubes and other engine bay related parts? or can i simply use the same process/materials ? (i dont plan on doing these now but i may later)

temperacerguy
02-02-2011, 12:40 AM
I used to own a shop. I've built more HP than a fleet of NHRA dragsters. everywhere from a custom 4cyl dragster motor (block and head cut from a chunk of billet), to a 1500 HP LSX drag engine, to RB26s, SR20s, Toyota 4, 6, and 8cyl, and all Honda H and B series. Engines and Turbo systems were where my bread and butter were. The composite work was learned as a hobby that turned into an obsession.

As for intake manifolds and the like that deal with high temp, The fabric isn't the issue, it's the resin. The right way to make a CF composite manifold is with ceramic molds, pre-preg and an autoclave. I am sure there are wet lay up resins that can handle the temperature, but they will probably be specialized, so you will have to speak to some resin specialists...

That being said, even if you made the manifold from carbon fiber, all the flanges would need to be made from alluminum/steel or Ti, so the expense and time of making a CF manifold for a one off, or short run really don't make much sense. If you're going to be making manifolds, it just makes sense making them out of metal.

Tubing can be made pretty easily, I would make rocket tubes out of carbon fiber sleeve wrapped around a cardboard tube with wax paper wrapped around it. After I wet out the cloth with resin, then I would use large shrink wrap heated from the center of the tube out to squeeze out the excess resin.

After it's cured, I would split the shrink wrap with a blade and peal it off... then I would drop the tube assy into the pool and let is soak for a couple hours to soften the cardboard, grab an end and twist it out. The same process could be used for straight intake/charge tubes.

For curved tubing where you only need ONE, you can use a lost mold technique. make the tube form cut from foam. wet and cure with the same technique as above, then pour acetone into the tube to melt out the foam.

If you're making a run of curved tubing, then make your plug out of alluminum piping. Make a two part fiberglass mold from the plug. then lay wet out sleeve into the mold with a rubber tubing core with the same technique that I used making the waterski handles.

v8killer
02-03-2011, 07:48 PM
thanks so much for the help i might end up making that manifold simply for the "wow" factor if i do find the proper resin.

i've only built about one top fuel drag car's worth of hp so far lol

well once people start sending me the cash to do the parts that i have in i will start implementing the processes u have mentioned thanks again for helping me not waste time and effort on these parts. :D

boo_guy
02-22-2011, 04:02 PM
So any updates on any of this stuff?

Carbon fiber trim pieces and cooling panel pretty please :D

90ToyAllTrac
02-22-2011, 04:39 PM
Dumb question: is the point of a CF roof to actually cut the factory roof off and bolt on a CF roof? or is it just a cover for looks? Im not a body guy so never heard of a CF roof.

Ive been thinking about getting a CF GT4 CS whatever vented hood to replace the hood scoop hood. Are these going to be vented style or scoop style and will they be any better/cheaper than the $600 ones currently online?

UtahSleeper
02-22-2011, 05:58 PM
I like the idea of making some CF goodies. I would say start small and see how many people follow through with buying.

v8killer
02-22-2011, 06:43 PM
yeah the follow through has been a little lame. so of the parts here i guess its now first pay- first make. if i dont have the part u want made here the original offer will apply.

as for the carbon roof, its more for better grip to lower your center of gravity. but for the alltrac/celica its a very involved task so this will be one of the last things i will be doing. remember all if you want to call me for more info the number is 831 207 9851.

boo_guy
02-22-2011, 09:09 PM
You have PM sir :P

Night_Wolf
02-25-2011, 09:00 PM
Pm'ed

Car_Barn_Bandit
02-25-2011, 10:45 PM
...modus of elasticity...

I am glad I am not the only person to know about this... :D

v8killer
04-23-2011, 07:06 PM
i gots update the materials are ordered for the front end cf parts for the fifth gen

pintoBC_3sgte
04-23-2011, 07:47 PM
lol wait so what cf parts for the 5th gen are you making?

v8killer
04-24-2011, 04:56 AM
those front trim parts are being made first

pintoBC_3sgte
04-24-2011, 10:42 PM
Cool. Ballpark price for said pcs ?

boo_guy
04-25-2011, 02:01 AM
Sweet!!!! Last time I PM'd you v8killer I got the impression you werent interested in doing the trim pieces anymore.

Im still interested, paypal ready to go :)

v8killer
04-26-2011, 04:10 AM
oh mybad, yeah waiting on materials :D

CoreyST
05-06-2011, 09:30 PM
What about a 6th gen coupe trunk? I would be in for that or the interior panels.

cjh4l22
05-11-2011, 10:35 PM
i'd be interested in a 6th gen hood, cooling panel, or underside panels

Carolina91GT-S
10-18-2011, 04:24 AM
Stay away guys. I dug up this old thread when it crossed my mind the other day. V8 killer received payment in full from me as well as several parts to use for mold making. The Cf parts were never made, never sent to me, they money was never refunded, my parts were never returned.

~Chris

boo_guy
10-18-2011, 06:22 AM
Damn, thats really crappy. Thanks for posting up about it.

Guess I'll look elsewhere to get it done. I know there was a guy on ebay looking to take on CF projects that I saved.

Car_Barn_Bandit
10-18-2011, 08:12 AM
Damn, thats really crappy. Thanks for posting up about it.

Guess I'll look elsewhere to get it done. I know there was a guy on ebay looking to take on CF projects that I saved.

Did v8 ever get back? I knew he was really busy, which is why I was leery of having him do anything. Plus, California, people like to take siestas and they all have short memories...

Galcobar
10-18-2011, 10:33 PM
You know, his profile still lists his sister's phone number, even though he hasn't been on the site since July.

Carolina91GT-S
10-19-2011, 02:05 AM
i have his phone # and his email address but it seems that it takes two to communicate.

Car_Barn_Bandit
10-19-2011, 02:49 AM
i have his phone # and his email address but it seems that it takes two to communicate.

3 hour time difference, give him a call...

joe's gt
10-23-2011, 07:20 AM
I didn't want to say anything until it actually happened, but as soon as I saw this thread and saw who started it awhile back I pretty much knew that nothing was going to come of it. Sorry,about your money Carolina, I hope you get it back.

Carolina91GT-S
10-23-2011, 03:57 PM
I texted him again yesterday. No response, yet

hyriu
11-10-2011, 11:02 PM
I would involve the cops and fight the charge with paypal or the CC company