PDA

View Full Version : Coolant change ?'s 2000 GTS

drag on
07-28-2010, 10:32 PM
Want to change coolant and I noticed that the coolant is pink.

1 Can you use any coolant and recc. ratio and capicity?

2 I only looked quickly but there was a sticker under the hood that looked like several different steps to disconnect hoses etc.

3 Do any of you guys run Wetter Water or any other additives in your coolant?

Thanx in advance...

MCcelica
07-29-2010, 01:20 AM
Capacity is 5.8 litres. (about 1.5 gal)

Whatever coolant you use should be an ethylene-glycol base. Most of us prefer "the red stuff not the green stuff". If you want to go more expensive than that, it's your choice.

Grot
07-29-2010, 01:26 AM
Like Seth said do use red. Something in he green (silicate?) has ill effects on the cooling system.

donteatbugs
07-29-2010, 03:44 AM
yes, use the red and mix it 50 50 with distilled water. or buy the premixed pink. either way i would take the draincock out and let it drain for a while. then unbolt the coolant tank and drain it too. dont bolt it back up because the you will need to set it on the hood latch to bleed the air out of it.

Smaay
07-29-2010, 03:14 PM
Yes only use the toyota red or pink coolant. water wetter is ok to use. i use it in my 7th gen race car. bleeding the air out of the system is very tedeious and requires patience. next time i do it ill make a video of my un-orthodox way.

Jack the front of the car up as high as you can. fill the resivoir. then what i do is blow into the resivoir. that forces the water into the system. keep refilling and blowing untill it seems like it wont take any more. run the engine and and massage the coolant hoses. turn the heater on full blast. then occasionally crack open the bleeder valve (small plug) on the resivoir. once you have hot air coming through the heater, you are pretty much done.

vergucci
07-30-2010, 05:08 AM
i used a yellow one on mine
is that bad?

drag on
07-30-2010, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the info. Is the red available anywhere or does Toyota have something special?

Johnny
07-30-2010, 08:43 AM
the red stuff is from toyota its a bit expensive but its the best!

donteatbugs
07-30-2010, 12:51 PM
yeallow is not as good as red. not gonna say it wont work though.

Maikeru
07-30-2010, 07:10 PM
http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Red%20Long%20Life%20Top-Up%20Coolant/

Same as the Toyota red and pink.

The Toyota red is only supposed to be used on aluminum radiator. So I would advise against using it on an older car unless you've upgraded your radiator.

It doesn't react well with copper/brass. Also don't mix the red with any other coolant, unless the old was red as well. Just do a full flush.

Galcobar
07-31-2010, 11:13 AM
Wait, Toyota's pink is their Super Long Life Coolant, as opposed to the red Long Life Coolant as I understood things -- with 160K on initial change and 80K for subsequent changes.

Johnny
08-01-2010, 08:22 AM
pink is just premixes with water

donteatbugs
08-02-2010, 03:07 PM
yeah, the red turns pink when mixed with water. use distilled water though.

alltracman78
11-21-2010, 06:11 AM
No.

The red and pink are 2 different coolants.

Red is 30k mile change and needs to be mixed with water.
Pink is 100k mile change [every 50k after that] and is pre mixed.

Be careful if you buy non Toyota coolant. The color means nothing, it's just a dye added to the coolant.
Toyota coolant has little to no silicates in it, most other coolants have silicates.
Toyota says silicates damage water pump seals, though with the way thier water pumps leak I don't think using a coolant without silicates makes much of a difference.
The other nice thing about Toyota coolant is it leaves a heavy pink residue when it dries, so you can see where it's leaking from.