PDA

View Full Version : 4th Gen A/C Delete

Grot
07-26-2010, 09:47 PM
I want to ditch the AC in my GTS.

What do i need to do to acheive this?

Is there an AC delete pulley and belt i need to get or what?

UtahSleeper
07-26-2010, 09:51 PM
Think you just have to remove the ac and get a shorter belt.......could be wrong though.

Grot
07-26-2010, 09:53 PM
Thats what i was thinking, but wanted to be sure.

CriScO
07-27-2010, 07:01 AM
On the 3S-FE you just get the belt for the ST non-a/c models. I'm 99% sure the GE has the same size pulleys and uses the same belt as the a/c equipped FE's. If so you'll just need the forementioned ST belt. That's what's great about the alternator bracket being an adjustable belt tensioner.

If no one has a definite answer I'll look up some part numbers tomorrow and let you know.

Edit: I forgot to say, yes you're both right. No kit required, just a shorter belt. The a/c delete pulley kits are generally for engines with a very long serpentine belt and a spring-loaded tensioner. On some of these vehicles removing the compressor pully will screw up the belt's routing and fuck up the angle the tensioner touches the belt at(if it still touches at all), losing tension.

Grot
07-27-2010, 07:10 AM
thanks man

rev_head
07-27-2010, 07:15 AM
on the ge most people use the non aircon belt and put iver the over side of the tentioner. Most have no problems with it but the idea of running the grooved belt on a smooth pulley isnt the brightest.

Fensport and gtfour.co.uk have a kit available with a propper grooved pulley, cant remember the prices.
some have also had some luck using an fe alternator bracket wich is a built in tentioner. it tentions the belt by raising the alternator. there may or may not be clearance issues against the bonnet bracing if you go down that path

Hipster Lawrence
07-27-2010, 11:51 PM
Why do so many people do this?

My cars both have a switch on the dash to turn the AC off.

rev_head
07-28-2010, 04:59 AM
the aircon robs power from the engine even when turned of as force is required from the crank o turn the compressor. also by removing the whole a/c system you can remove around about 18kg. so if your looking for performance its a good and free way to get some extra ponies

Grot
07-28-2010, 05:10 AM
I'm just taking it out cause it don't work and I don't care to fix it.

rev_head
07-28-2010, 05:16 AM
in that case, just leave it lol

Hipster Lawrence
07-28-2010, 12:54 PM
the aircon robs power from the engine even when turned of as force is required from the crank o turn the compressor.

What like .0001 HP?

also by removing the whole a/c system you can remove around about 18kg. so if your looking for performance its a good and free way to get some extra ponies

That makes some sense, But most of that weight is in the compressor. So I say just remove the compressor and call it a day. That way if you ever need to sell the car lack of AC won't be much of an issue.

Grot
07-28-2010, 01:26 PM
All I'm doing is taking the compressor out since I will have the engine out anyway. It should make it easier to reinstall as well.

rev_head
07-28-2010, 02:41 PM
What like .0001 HP?

That makes some sense, But most of that weight is in the compressor. So I say just remove the compressor and call it a day. That way if you ever need to sell the car lack of AC won't be much of an issue.

yes the actual HP it frees up will be minimal more like 2-3 HP at the fly. but more to the point is it lets the engine rev more freely and quickly, same priciple as a lighened F/W. rotational mass has a multiplication factor (someone help me out here cant remember what the figure is). the pulley on the compresser is quite heavy slows down crank rotation fairly substantially.

yes most of the weight is the compressor itself but removing the rest does have added advantages. by removing the core you greatly enhance the airflow through the radiator. wth the removal of the gas lines to the firewall the engine bay looks alot neater and less clustered.
the core unit behind the glove box is fairly heavy guessing around the 4kg mark but more to the point with that removed the fan and heater will work substantially better with out that thin blocking the flow path (and while your at it clean out all the leaves and crap)

IMO its greatly wurthwile and im incredibly glad i did it. quicker revs, descent amount lighter, looks better, heate works much better and its free and easy. seems like a big WIN to me

Hipster Lawrence
07-29-2010, 02:10 PM
yes the actual HP it frees up will be minimal more like 2-3 HP at the fly. but more to the point is it lets the engine rev more freely and quickly, same priciple as a lighened F/W. rotational mass has a multiplication factor (someone help me out here cant remember what the figure is). the pulley on the compresser is quite heavy slows down crank rotation fairly substantially.

The pulley without the clutch can't weigh that much. You can spin it with your hand no problem. It doesn't take up any more horsepower than an idler or tensioner pulley. You could run your belt looser and get the same HP increase probably.

yes most of the weight is the compressor itself but removing the rest does have added advantages. by removing the core you greatly enhance the airflow through the radiator.
I guess this is a valid point. Especially if you are pushing high HP or had cooling problems before.

but more to the point with that removed the fan and heater will work substantially better with out that thin blocking the flow path (and while your at it clean out all the leaves and crap)

The evaporator core doesn't block flow with your heater on. In fact it has no air flowing through it at all with the heat running. There are blend doors that divert the air flow around it.

ChrisD
07-29-2010, 05:15 PM
I thought the bracket/pulley was a bit different. I know for sure we used the non-AC pulley on RyanD's swap since his car was not AC equipped and the 3sgte had AC. But probably, either will work just there is probably an extra bracket part on the AC piece.

ChrisD
07-29-2010, 05:15 PM
I thought the bracket/pulley was a bit different. I know for sure we used the non-AC pulley on RyanD's swap since his car was not AC equipped and the 3sgte had AC. But probably, either will work just there is probably an extra bracket part on the AC piece.

Grot
07-29-2010, 07:45 PM
any chance you have a pic of the belt setup?

wizzards581
07-31-2010, 07:14 AM
jus get a shorter belt even though the tensioner pully is not groved. its almost impossible for the belt to fall off the non-groved tensioner. i been driving/commuting/race with the belt like this for so long...