PDA

View Full Version : e-brake wont work?

187flatliner
07-26-2010, 09:24 PM
tech info.

87gt gen 4 hatch <drums?>......... when i bought this body to swap my good motor into it the ebrake didnt work, as in it wouldnt hold the car when stopped either. i tightened the cable by the way of the handle screw and it worked, but only on the driver side but i figured it worked if i needed it to. so i finally get around to replacing the pads, drums and the spring sets.....found out i had a bad wheel cylinder so i replaced both sides. made sure everything was set right and I DID BLEED THE BRAKES PROPERLY. e-brake didnt work so i tighten it to the max and still it didnt work......so i replaced it with one from a junker.

still doesnt work....ive tightened and adjusted everything i know of but it wont even lock up the rear wheels....even tho i have gotten it to slow the car while moving but it just feels like it isnt tight enough....

any advice before i just take it to a shop?

93celicaconv
07-26-2010, 10:46 PM
With your shoe adjustment to the back drum, have you adjusted the star-wheel adjusters so that you have a "very slight" drag on the drum when you turn the drum? If you haven't adjusted your star-wheel adjusters like this, that is likely your problem. If you can spin your wheels and they turn freely without any slight drag, you probably don't have the star-wheel adjusters set right. You need more travel of your emergency brake cable to engage the emergency brakes than is available because your adjusters aren't set quite right. At least this is one possible reason for your situation.

sodap0p
07-26-2010, 11:39 PM
I would try would 93celicaconv suggests and if that still doesnt work it could be the cables are seized or starting to seize, remove them and check individually by hand. If you cant pull them easily, replace them. I'd say the passenger side is toast.

Nitro_Alltrac
07-27-2010, 02:36 AM
+2 to what they said. Check the adjusters in the drums and make sure the cables are moving freely.

187flatliner
07-27-2010, 04:40 AM
i adjusted them to a slight drag with the star adjuster.....i totally replaced the cable with a different one and still not working........ i figured that at least i would be able to get one side working or something. the springs on both cables are tight and not very easily moved backwards.....

93celicaconv
07-27-2010, 05:13 AM
Well, something sounds like it isn't installed quite right.

Not sure on your 87, but on Gen 5's, if you take the drum off, and if you have someone lift the emergency brake level all the way up, the star-wheel adjuster should click & move. Using the emergency brake lever in this way is actually another way to adjust the star-wheel adjuster to get the shoes set up properly for use. If the star-wheel adjuster does not click and move as the emergency brake level is pulled all the way up, then put back down, something is not installed correctly.

KoreanJoey
07-27-2010, 06:26 AM
The "auto-adjust" is really, really vague. Just adjust it at the drums manually.

Galcobar
07-27-2010, 10:11 AM
The e-brake handle adjustment is largely a matter of proper pull length rather than setting the actual contact of the e-brakes.

FYI, the handle should move 7-10 clicks for full engagement.

As noted above, proper adjustment of the e-brake is done via the star-shaped wheel. Double-check your assembly of the e-brake; one mis-aligned spring can cause a lot of binding and impairment.

187flatliner
08-20-2010, 10:36 PM
did that.......i checked everything ....installed all new hardware and drums and a new cable(junkyard).......adjusted them from the drums and still no e-brake action.....im not understanding what the hell is wrong. but im also now thinking of doin the axle swap now that i just bought a gts for 300 bucks.

Galcobar
08-21-2010, 09:24 AM
When you installed the cables, did you ensure they crossed to prevent binding?

Nitro_Alltrac
08-23-2010, 02:02 AM
Have you tried getting under the car and having someone pull the brake handle to see what's going on? This would give you a better idea of where to look anyway.