PDA

View Full Version : Wifey wants a celica like mine..

theadidasmunky
07-25-2010, 05:12 PM
So my wife had a flat tire the ther day so I let her take my car to work. She gets home and tells me she loves my car and wants one but not convertible. Awesome. That meas I get to get her out of her p.o.s. Mazda protege. So she's looking on autotrader and craigslist and doesn't find anyhing that really sticks out. Then I remembered that back in 04 a buddy of mine bought a 91 celica gt with a cracked head with the intention of swapping in a 3sgte and making it into an all trac. Long story short, he's all talk and there has been a 3sgte with an alltrac transmission sitting right next to the car for the past 5 or 6 years. I called him up and he said he'd give me both for 700. So I'm thinking sell the 3s make a lil profit and put that mony towards restoring the car. I don't yet know if I'm gonna swap a used 5sfe in or see if I can track down a block for cheap. Well, that's my story for the day.. She gets a car and I get a project.. That's a win in my book.

Grot
07-25-2010, 10:21 PM
Sounds like a good idea.

Assuming the 3s is a gen 2, you can get a quick grand if it has a wiring harness.

And you can get a replacement engine for a couple hundred from junkyard.

theadidasmunky
07-25-2010, 11:25 PM
To my knowledge it came off a jdm 91 alltrac. I don't know what gen that would be. And the harness is cut And has no ecu, just the transmission. so idk. I'm consdering just taking the car for $100 like he had orginally offered.

Johnny
07-25-2010, 11:40 PM
good stuff man id love to come home and hear hey honey i want a celica too!

Nitro_Alltrac
07-25-2010, 11:40 PM
That would be a 2nd gen. Without a good harness and ecu it wouldn't be as easy to sell, at least not for higher price. If you can get the car by itself for $100 and it is in any kind of shape, that's a heck of a deal. Both for $700 is a good deal but selling the 3S without a harness and ECU would probably just make your money back, maybe a little bit more.

theadidasmunky
07-26-2010, 12:35 AM
Ok then. I'll just get the car alone. It's not too bad. Like I said it has a cracked block. But it's not totaled or anything. It's been sitting for about 6 years. It's gonna need new tires, brakes, minor body work and paint. Maybe a clutch. I'll have to purge the fuel lines and freshen up everything. And I know it needs a radio and exhaust. It'll definitely be a fix 'er upper but still a steal at $100

theadidasmunky
08-03-2010, 11:37 PM
So I went to uneedapart.com and filled everything out. I've had about 5 emails back so far just today from junkyards across the nation saying they have the 5sfe I need. The lowest price was 550 shipped but the engine had 150k miles. I had another offer for 775 shipped with 180kmiles I think the one that I'm going to go with was $1k shipped with only 56k miles and a 3 year warranty. The local junkyard here didn't have and 5sfe's which I thought was suprising.

85gtsblackman
08-04-2010, 08:29 AM
buy a running car off craigslist, swap engines and such, sell the rest. or if someones parting one out, grab the motor.

also did you try car-part.com?

alltracNyx
08-04-2010, 06:53 PM
Car-part.com always has a bunch of stuff, but depending on the place, there probably won't be a warranty, at least not a 3 year warranty.

Personally, I'd probably go for a cheaper motor with higher miles and do a rebuild. You can trust your own work more than you can trust a random junkyard's word and warranty. But that's also dependant on how much work you can do yourself.

JDM SNUKUMZ
08-04-2010, 07:00 PM
hey 100 bucks for a chassis and all trac motor is a win win for me.

theadidasmunky
08-04-2010, 07:52 PM
i got a friend that will be helping me with the swap.. he comes from the tercel world... but knows his shit. i dont have the knowledge or paitence to rebuild the motor... i woudnt even know where to start..

Murgatroy
08-04-2010, 08:16 PM
Yeah, I keep having this issue with the wife. Sometimes I think she loves Chaos more than she loves me.

Every day I have to listen to her whine about how she wants to drive Chaos, or she wants a 'Pretty Celica.' I have even gone out of my way to make Chaos as unpretty as possible. Still no dice.

I bought her a Corolla with a 4AFE, thinking that might soothe her. Nope. She likes the Corolla, but it isn't Chaos.

I might have to buy her a Celica one day. She doesn't want Mudhoney.

alltracNyx
08-04-2010, 09:00 PM
Yeah, I keep having this issue with the wife. Sometimes I think she loves Chaos more than she loves me.

Every day I have to listen to her whine about how she wants to drive Chaos, or she wants a 'Pretty Celica.' I have even gone out of my way to make Chaos as unpretty as possible. Still no dice.

I bought her a Corolla with a 4AFE, thinking that might soothe her. Nope. She likes the Corolla, but it isn't Chaos.

I might have to buy her a Celica one day. She doesn't want Mudhoney.

Isn't it a good thing that the wife wants a Celica? And besides, even if you get her a Celica, it's still not Chaos, so you may be forever doomed :P

theadidasmunky
08-04-2010, 09:03 PM
well now she wants the celica and she wants me to put the 3sgte in it... sounds fun and all... but my wife cant have a car faster than mine!

Murgatroy
08-04-2010, 09:22 PM
Isn't it a good thing that the wife wants a Celica? And besides, even if you get her a Celica, it's still not Chaos, so you may be forever doomed :P

She and Chaos don't get along. Chaos will refuse to start for her, the key won't turn, she will foul plugs, stall and just be a general bitch.

I remember several years ago, the wife took Chaos to go get some groceries. I took a nap. A couple hours later I get a knock at the door, it was my brother. I wouldn't wake up to answer the phone, so she called him. Seems Chaos had decided she didn't want the wife driving her, and as such, would not allow the key to turn. The wife had been sitting at the store for an hour, with a key that wouldn't turn. When I got there, Chaos fired right up and purred...

It is like the Steven King novel Christine.

alltracNyx
08-04-2010, 10:33 PM
So the wife wants Chaos, but Chaos doesn't want the wife. That's too funny. I can't imagine why she would want a car that seems to give her (and her only) problems.

well now she wants the celica and she wants me to put the 3sgte in it... sounds fun and all... but my wife cant have a car faster than mine!

Haha, why not? That's how it is for me right now!