PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy it?

klapa
07-23-2010, 05:11 PM
The LAST thing I NEED is another car, but.....

There is a GTS that's been around here for awhile. A '92 that's at a car repair place with rod knock. I haven't looked at it yet - but both the photo's and what the guy told me seems that the thing has a nearly pristine body and interior. It is super red color and I would guess grey interior.

I been wanting the power lumbar seats for my GT and also the system 10 door panels. As I'm planning to get seat covers anyway the color would not be a big deal. (GT is super white with blue/grey interior).

I also need at least one front fender and both rear quarters on my '91 All Trac and I figure those items from a GTS would be the same, right?

The car started out at $900 from the original owner and then went down to $750 from the car dealer a couple of weeks ago. I offered the guy $650 with a tow included a week ago and he turned me down saying some guy was coming to buy it this week.

Well I just heard from the car dealer and the other guy backed out. I figure with the items I'd get, plus parting out some other stuff, it might be a good deal.

Hell - maybe somebody here needs a "roller" body and I could sell that and not take the fenders.

Still - $650 is allot of money for a car with rod knock - but if it is indeed pristine inside and out I think I might go for it.

alltracNyx
07-23-2010, 07:22 PM
You can use the body panels from the GTS for the alltrac. It's what we are going to be doing once we get the st165 on the road and the st185 off the road. We already have a parts car as well.

$650 would be a good deal. Even if you do just take the seats and body panels and send the car to a scrap metal yard, it would be worth it. Whether or not the wife is okay with you having another car is a different story :P

85gtsblackman
07-23-2010, 08:04 PM
if its a parts car i say do it

the last thing i needed was the last 2 vehicles i bought but i bought the 400 dollar 4 runner for the engine for the celica and the interior for the truck.

i bought 100 dollar 82 celica gts and scrapped it for 75 but i stripped it down to a shell since u cant find 3rd gens around here in the junkyards

i almost bought a wrecked 85 vert with only 125k on it but the guy wanted 700 for it and i offered him 500 (i was debating putting the front end on the 82 as well as the engine) but he wouldnt come down off the price so i offered him 150 for the engine and he said 200 so i wound up spending 250 on the engine, rack, radiator, random misc parts, and he delivered it all to my house.

The Captain
07-23-2010, 10:09 PM
doooooiiiiiiit!

klapa
07-23-2010, 11:21 PM
I did it - I've as much as made the deal with the guy and will be there tomorrow AM to pay and do the title stuff - so long as the body and interior are "as advertised" - and then take delivery by Tuesday when I will have my garage in a state to accept the car.

I sure need to get rid of something - as "Klapa's Kar Korner" is getting pretty crowded these days!

Nitro_Alltrac
07-24-2010, 03:58 AM
Sounds like a good deal. It's worth it if its got good quarters and you need those. Post up some pics once you get it.

klapa
07-24-2010, 04:24 PM
Well, I just got back from meeting the guy and looking at the car.

It took me all of 1 minute to decide that I was not going to get it.

It is a '92 GTS - but either I am confused about what a GTS came with standard, or the interior of that car has already been swapped out with a GT/ST. It had seats and center console exactly like my car - blue/grey cloth and no power lumbar. It didn't have the power lumbar controls on the center console either - just the blank panel. No System 10 either.

Add to all the above - the passenger side rear quarter panel was bashed - repairable damage but damage non-the-less.

The rest of the body was very straight and while the paint is faded badly there didn't seem to be even a spot of rust on it.

I didn't even bother looking at the engine.

This is the first "Craiglist" car I've come across that was so badly represented. The listing has just been taken down in the last day or two - but as I remember it the interior was different in those pics.

If anybody local is interested - the car is at Gaston's garage on Old Raleigh Road in Apex, NC. They are anxious to get id of it because - as the guy told me - the parking place the car is in is worth more than the car.

Hookecho
07-24-2010, 04:57 PM
Well that sucks.

klapa
07-24-2010, 08:34 PM
Yep - obviously somebody that is not a "plain dealer".

The fact that the listing - with photos - disappeared a day or two ago only bolsters that suspicion.

The interior was probably swapped a few days ago - and it is "odd" that the "owner who had it for twelve years" all of the sudden had the day off at the last minute.

It will be interesting to see if the thing pops ip again on Craiglist.

Still - I might be wrong - maybe a GTS did come standard without system 10 and power lumbar, and maybe it is "normal" for a GTS in super red to have a blue/gray interior - except for the dash.

Maybe - but not likely.

When I turned the deal down the guy continued to say "you can't find an ORIGINAL GTS anymore!". He then pointed to the mirror controls on the console as the power lumbar controls - while of course the battery was "conveniently" dead.

I emailed the guy again with a "diplomatic" email such that if the price was "substantially reduced" I would still be interested. After all - the fenders are still there - and I could use the quarter panels.

Still - I'm pretty sure whoever it is will continue to attempt to pawn the thing off as a "original" GTS. Who knows? Maybe it is.

I'll be on the lookout - as I always am.

alltracNyx
07-24-2010, 09:14 PM
I believe it was an upgraded package on the GTS to have the power lumbar seats and the system 10. So some of them had it, and some of them didn't.

But the blue gray interior on a car that is super red, that's not right.

klapa
07-24-2010, 09:41 PM
So - GTS was only a widebody with a 3SGE and nothing more?

I thought they all came with the "luxury" items such as power lumbar, system 10, automatic climate control, security system, etc.

Grot
07-24-2010, 09:42 PM
Only have the 3sge overseas.

In the states were still 5sfe

klapa
07-24-2010, 10:22 PM
Well then it was all my own mistaken expectations.

In any event - I don't need an immovable pile of junk in my garage that I would pay $650 for unless it has some parts I really need - and this GTS did not.

Case closed.

klapa
07-31-2010, 02:33 AM
So this is still "going on".

After turning the guy down and sending an email explaining why, a week later and I got another email.

I am "waffling" on this one - so I'll spell out the "pro and the con" here:

Con:

I'v really no place to put this car. I'm trying to gt my garage cleaned out from 10 years of "married stuff" and am "almost there" - but the garage is supposed to be for my Alltrac.

I really don't actually NEED the front fenders - on my Alltrac I only have a little rust on the passenger side wheel-well. I think this is repairable.

The rear quarters on my Alltrac are probably repairable "as-is" as well.

The interior is not original - of that I am sure - because I don't think there was ever a blue/gray interior in a red car.

While iz might use many parts, and "part-out" the rest of them, I would need to pay to get the thing hauled off when all is said and done.

The "pro":

I get allot of parts! Body parts, electrical parts, wheels, etc.

Many others here get allot of parts - cheap.

The car is not sent to the crusher.

So I am still "agonizing" about this one. I sent the guy a "conciliatory" email explaining why I didn't want to buy it for the first price. A week later he sent me back an email asking for another offer.

So - I sent a "low ball" offer and await a response.

Nitro_Alltrac
07-31-2010, 04:11 AM
Keep us posted.

I'm sure you're right about the interior. That doesn't sound right in GTS. Even the interior in my son's old ST was grey.

klapa
07-31-2010, 04:41 PM
Well - it looks like I bought it - though the actual transaction has not occurred yet.

I was wrong about the door panels - they ARE System 10. The listing was re-posted with photos that show that. So maybe that IS actually the original interior - though it is rather "odd".

So I offered $450 and settled for $500 - delivered to my place. We'll see - I expect the deal to be done on Monday and to take delivery Tuesday.

I think even with just the body parts it is worth the deal - it is just the "storage" aspect - and the justification to my wife - that is the difficult part.

Hopefully I can sell some stuff here to help mitigate the cost.

klapa
08-04-2010, 01:09 AM
So - I ended up buying it - for $500 with the tow to my house included.

I have rather mixed emotions abot the decision - as well as a real "crunch" on space around here - but that's all subject for another discussion.

Here are some pics - and please excuse if they are large - my laptop with my good image editing software dies week before last - so it is currently being fixed under the "extended warranty" at the depot:

Front end view:

http://www.nashdom.com/GTS/GTS_Front.JPG

Rear view with hatch open:

http://www.nashdom.com/GTS/GTS_Hatch.JPG

Interior shot - carpet is bad but I wouldn't want it anyway - though with care it might be salvages:

http://www.nashdom.com/GTS/GTS_Interior.JPG

Rear view with hatch closed:

http://www.nashdom.com/GTS/GTS_Rear.JPG

The very unfortunate rear quater damage that might make me wonder why I bought the thing in the first place.....

http://www.nashdom.com/GTS/GTS_RQ_Damage.JPG

This view shows the rear quarter damage better:

http://www.nashdom.com/GTS/GTS_Side1.JPG

Some views of the engine - 5SFE:

http://www.nashdom.com/GTS/GTS_Engine1.JPG

http://www.nashdom.com/GTS/GTS_Engine2.JPG

System 10 is there - both in front and back:

http://www.nashdom.com/GTS/GTS_System10.JPG

Trunk and hatch are pretty near perfect:

http://www.nashdom.com/GTS/GTS_Trunk.JPG

So - we will see - I will get my money out of this car if I'm really up for these projects I've started.

There are many good parts on this car - yet I need to strip it quick.

Murgatroy
08-04-2010, 01:12 AM
So, you have a Celica problem, eh?

It is okay, I do too...

Nitro_Alltrac
08-04-2010, 01:22 AM
It looks like a good deal for the potential parts you got. I don't think you got hurt on it.

klapa
08-04-2010, 01:36 AM
So, you have a Celica problem, eh?

It is okay, I do too...

Yep - and I'm gonna have a "neighbor problem" that will escalate to be a "police problem" pretty quick if I don't get my garage cleaned out and this car in it - and also make some room on the road in front of my house.

Murgatroy
08-04-2010, 01:50 AM
What does that put you up to, four, and every trim of 5th Gen?

It would be awesome if they were all four years too.

klapa
08-05-2010, 12:33 AM
Well - ALMOST -or MAYBE....

Yes - I have FOUR -

super red '92 STX with 4AFE, manual trans, and manual everything (windows locks, etc.).

super white '92 GT with 5SFE, auto trans, brake, suspension and exhaust mods.

"rustoleum flat black" '91 All-trac with 3sGTE, 5-speed, and many mods.

super red '92 GTS with 5SFE (rod knock), pretty much "box-stock" as near as I can tell.

This GTS is a "funny bird' - I really have not yet figured out exactly what it's "niche" was supposed to be - marketing-wise.

Looking at all these different cars that actually seem to be the same - I marvel at how different they all really are. Almost all of the sub-systems have differences - A/C, cooling system, intake, etc.

I do not have the "base" "ST" - only the "luxury" STX - I think the big differences there were the rear spoiler and exterior pinstriping.

Too bad about the GTS not having the power lumbar seats - as I really need those in my "highway cruiser" GT because I have a bad back. I thought all GTS had those seats because every one I have seen parted out here listed them - but all those were from Canada.

I guess the Canadian's got better cars than we did, eh? :)

**Edit

Oh - I will add - not having read ALL of your post, Murg.

It might be "awesome" from a collector standpoint to have all four years of a 5th Gen - but it would certainly be very much less than awesome from a parts interchangeability standpoint. I'm glad I have all '92's - and have found (radiator cap issue to name one) differences between early '92 and late '92.

Murgatroy
08-05-2010, 12:37 AM
The ST and STX are the same thing. The STX was a dealer option for the ST. It left the factory as an ST. The dealer added some nifty things, which vary, but can include wheels, spoiler, pinstriping, graphics packages, A/C (although I have yet to see a 5th Gen without it) a sunroof and in some cases power windows and locks.

klapa
08-05-2010, 01:02 AM
Well, my STX has no power options and also does not have cruise or a sunroof.

What it DOES have is a near perfect rust-free body, grreat interior, cold A/C, and a 4AFE that with even 241k miles still purrs like a kitten. You cant even hear the thing when it idles at a rock steady 800 rpm.

It was my first Celica - and "infected" me with the "5th gen fever".

I'm going to put a new radiator in it, buff it out, and sell it.

Mr Celica
08-05-2010, 03:33 AM
thats def. the grey interior. the seats fade and look blue after years of sun. mine looks the same way.

i have a 91 gts with cloth, no power seats and no system 10... but the interior color is exactly the same.