PDA

View Full Version : Drunken party next door.. Bastard hits my All-Trac.

sinkrite
07-23-2010, 12:14 PM
I was outside my apartment just as it was getting dark this evening testing out some new compound and wax when I heard a freaking loud party in the next building over. Washington State U. in Pullman has gobs of exchange students and my complex seems to be increasingly popular with them.

Anyway, hours of noise later I finally call my apartment management. They tell me they've had complaints all evening and that they'll call the cops. A few minutes they call me back and say the cops are apparently already there, and they asked if I'd go check. Okay, cops are talking to some guy, yay. Time to get some sleep finally (2:30am).

Five minutes later the Pullman PD calls me asking if I'm the owner of a red Toyota Celica. Uh oh..... I run outside. Out far enough I should be able to see it... but where is it? Oh shit, there it is. It was pushed a good five feet sideways.

Anyway, lucky for me (THIS TIME) the police have the driver in custody. Also lucky for me, he was driving a 2010 Camaro so he's likely to have some cash when I sue his ass when (if? please be if ..) his insurance won't cover the repair.

Tow truck driver, "wait, did you say all wheel drive? oh snap, is it a gt four?!"

Me, " *cries * "

Just happened, so I'll have more info on the outcome later. Four years ago my GT-S was hit similarly down the hill at another apartment owned by the same people. College towns.... ARGHHHH!!!!! I'm sure that thread's still around here somewhere too :(

Murgatroy
07-23-2010, 01:02 PM
That sucks. Repairable, but sucks.

The Captain
07-23-2010, 01:50 PM
coulda been worse. not gonna be cheap but you may get a whole new paint job out of it.

Siyx
07-23-2010, 02:34 PM
Damn, I'd kill. Never mind sue.

METDeath
07-23-2010, 02:58 PM
And the tow driver knew what an All-trac was? That's kinda rare...

At least if the driver doesn't have the cash his parents probably will.

Waffles!
07-23-2010, 03:58 PM
Ouch. I hope the insurance company deals with the claim quickly.

UtahSleeper
07-23-2010, 04:04 PM
That is jacked.............hope it gets fixed quick and a new paint job!!

Legacyofdan
07-23-2010, 04:19 PM
wow the officer would of had to put me in the cruiser...man...good luck with getting everything repaired! :)

klapa
07-23-2010, 05:01 PM
Yea - really bad piece of luck. Sorry to hear about it.

Get ready for the guy's insurance company to really low-ball the value of it and try to total it.

RIalltrac
07-23-2010, 08:50 PM
Let the insurance company do whatever they want, as long as the final amount of money hitting your pocket is gonna be enough to get the car up and rolling again. I had my trac hit way worse than that and after the insurance company totaled it out on me, I bought it back from them for like $250. Pocketed six grand (this was like 6 years ago so value has probably dropped) got a new used rear fender welded on, new paint, rims, tires and whiteline suspension kit.....I made out ok on the deal. Plus you'll have absolutely no problem getting a salvage title on that. The damange isnt major enough. I didnt have to worry about the salvage title, one I dont think the insurance company reported the accident properly (to this day if I carfax my celi it still says no major accidents) and two RI doesnt title vehicles over ten years old....Sucks you have to deal with the nonsense of it all, but its really not that bad.

Murgatroy
07-23-2010, 09:03 PM
The last car I had totaled out didn't even have to get a 'Branded Title.' I was told it was "to old to matter."

It was a `99 model.

Luni
07-23-2010, 10:48 PM
They totaled Joels GTS for damage like that.

They DIDNT total my MR2 for damage like that. Chances are you wont be a total loss, but even if you are, screw it, let them pay you your money, buy it back, fix it, and put some money into it.

Nitro_Alltrac
07-24-2010, 04:01 AM
That really blows. I hope the insurance comes through. With the cops being there when it happened that should help.

From my years working in the body shop, that is plenty repairable. You should be in good shape.

sinkrite
07-24-2010, 04:57 AM
Thanks for the comments and well wishes. Shop didn't take the time to look at it today, so I've got to wait until Monday. "Have a good weekend!" my insurance rep tells me. Yeah, ok...

It's nice to hear the general consensus is that it shouldn't be a big deal to get fixed. I'm worried if they hit the rear wheel though, could that have messed something up with the drive train?

Oh, man.. Also, the police officer and I found the "suspect"'s credit card in the street on the scene. She said it was the same guy they had in custody. Hillarious. As the car was being towed a few hours later (after the first post) the dude drives up and gets out and on his way to the apartment the party had been at asks me two brilliant questions.

"Is this your car?" and "Did you call tow truck?" ...... frown. He's lucky I didn't beat the snozz out of him on sight.

geebes
07-24-2010, 07:57 AM
I'd killanigga...thats really lame man.

Hookecho
07-24-2010, 05:17 PM
I'm sure everything will work out to your benefit.

Hipster Lawrence
07-25-2010, 12:07 AM
The insurance company will try to total it. They probably won't even want to come estimate it.

Don't bend get what your car is worth and buy it back for free (negotiate that into the settlement)

I got 3800 dollars for an mk1 mr2. I'd try and get 10k for an alltrac.

sinkrite
07-26-2010, 11:28 PM
The other party's insurance has taken liability and is sending an adjuster to look at it. The shop did an appraisal and said it looks to be easily fixable within the assessed value (~$5800) of the car. Of course, the adjuster from Geico could make things difficult and nothing's set in stone yet. At least they're giving me a rental.

They said there's pretty much no way I can try to justify a whole new paint job, but on the bright side my doors, front quarters, and front bumper seem to be recently painted. That'll leave the other rear quarter, top, back, and hood unpainted... Which'll look even weirder. Probably try to pay them extra to paint the rest while they're at it, but we'll see.

Anyway, so far so good... I'd love to get a look at the Camaro's damage.

sodap0p
07-27-2010, 12:00 AM
Sorry to see that :(

Shop around the repair shops, some are so busy they wont do anything extra for you and some not so busy might throw in the full deal to get your business. Also, I'd check out some of the cars they've repaired to see the quality of workmanship.

Just my two cents, I've had some dealings with body repair shops, not many, but some.

Maikeru
07-27-2010, 06:41 AM
Sorry to hear about that. Glad it will get fixed though. I would hate to see an All-Trac thrown away.

Edit: Woot! Ten posts. I can see sig pics now. lol.

sinkrite
07-27-2010, 01:48 PM
Yeah, I thought about shopping around some more... but the problem is I think the offending party's insurance writes a check to the body shop for the amount the insurance company's adjuster agrees to. Not sure it's actually going to be up to the shop to throw in much extra in that case. They repaired my other Celica and it looks great... but they did miss the odd tiny trim pieces here and there. *shrug*

Also, they gave me a print out with prices for various parts of the repair... some of which seem retarded. Bumper cover, for example, is $250 for a used one. toyapartszone.com for example has a NEW one for like 275. Same deal with the tail light assembly.. $85 used, $135 new. Seems ridiculous, given the slight differences here and there and the headroom they told me they had for the repair costs to cut those corners.

Buuuuuut... I'm just happy it's going to get fixed.

JDM SNUKUMZ
07-27-2010, 02:40 PM
seems like youre gonna make it out oka.

Nitro_Alltrac
07-27-2010, 11:18 PM
You can take the car any where you want, the insurance company can't dictate that. They also should write the check out to you if there is no lien holder on the car. I worked in a dealer body shop for almost 4 years and unless it is way different in your state, that is how it should work. Also, the estimate they write to begin with is not the absolute final one. If the shop gets into the repair and finds damage that the estimate doesn't cover they should call the insurance company back and get a supplement. The insurance companies will give you the run around to try and save money but they have to pay what you're entitled.

sinkrite
07-28-2010, 04:49 AM
Cool. Thanks for the advice. I'm really not sure what I'd say to try to justify repainting the whole car. Also, it's a problem since the car isn't drivable as is. I suppose I could try to pry the quarter panel back and off the wheel... but it's in the shop's fenced in area, so I'm not sure what I'd tell 'em. "I want to take it to a few more shops too." .... ?

Nitro_Alltrac
07-28-2010, 11:15 PM
If you're happy with the shop that it is currently at, I'd say leave it there. Unless things are different in your state, the insurance company is going to write their own estimate any way regardless of what the shop wrote UNLESS the shop is in their prefered shop program, if they have one.

As for getting them to paint the whole car, in my experience it will either go one of two ways. One, they won't do it. They should figure to blend the paint onto the adjacent panels. That would get you some extra cash. Number two, they'll figure to paint it but then they will turn around and depreciate the amount due to the age of the paint and any fading. They do that will tires and wear items. It might be different where you are but that was my experience in the body shop.

Are you in a rental? It think you said you were. If not, bust their ass on that. You're entitled to one since their insured hit you.

Keep us posted.

sinkrite
07-29-2010, 05:09 AM
Yeah, I'm in a rental. Geico (other driver's insurance) was good about taking care of that for me. I'll pop over to one of the other shops tomorrow and see what they say. Not sure how that'll work since the car isn't drivable, but hey. Thanks for all the input, Mike.

Ugh. Looked at the car again today and noticed the interior panel of the trunk is busted. Not like into smitherines, but pretty messed up. That thing's going to be impossible since it's st185 specific. BLEH...

Nitro_Alltrac
07-29-2010, 11:18 PM
No problem. Keep us posted on how it works out.

sinkrite
08-10-2010, 10:08 PM
Over a week later, Geico is still dragging their feet and being difficult. After wasting a whole week with me still not yet in their rental car, I finally had to give them alltrac.net as a source to even find others for sale. What he told me on friday (two weeks after the incident) was that he averaged the prices of the ones marked as sold within the past six months and came up with ~$4000 as the value of the car. Having bought it for $5400 and put over $2000 into it so far, this obviously isn't what I wanted to hear.

Meanwhile, I had told the body shop to start the repairs in part because they said given what they could see and their estimates on the value of the car it should be a straight forward insurance repair. That was when there was a replacement quarter panel available two weeks ago -- now there isn't. They said they're having a heck of a time with it and that the tire and possibly suspension are going to need attention as well. Not to mention the interior of the trunk which got smashed.

So there it sits in their shop taking up space until I tell them to go (and accept responsibility to pay for it if Geico continues to make excuses). I was told that it's no longer even up to the agent I've been dealing with, but rather his boss and other higher-ups due to the complicity of the whole thing.

The bottom line right now is that there's pretty much no way for them not to consider it a total loss. Out the door after licensing fees etc. and the $500 to buy it back, I would get ~$3900. Body shop's now sitting on it because of the question of insurance covering it or not, and I just don't know what to do. Had the quarter still been available it'd have been much more simple, but now... I just want it over with! Guy gets drunk, guy starts fight, guy hits my car trying to get away, guy should be responsible for hitting car. I may have to take him to small claims court, but that idea doesn't exactly sound like fun.

KM
08-10-2010, 10:25 PM
This is exactly why insurance companies are a scam.
They'll take your money all day long, but when it comes to actually providing the service they're selling... yeah, it's not going to happen.
They're a business, and that's how businesses work.

You just need to hound them. Call them every day, or even two or three times a day.

sinkrite
08-10-2010, 11:43 PM
Off the phone with them again, and after talking to his boss he asked if I can provide receipts for the recent work I've put into it. What helps in this case is that the guy himself seems to genuinely be a nice person. Said himself that he didn't know the cars existed and kind of even wants to buy one now.

Got back from the body shop (took my rear seat bottom out to clean it etc.. might as well do my own work while it's sitting there) and they said it'll be right around $3k to fix not including the new tire and maybe a few smaller things. Not sure if I'd be better off with a salvage title and possibly a few hundred bucks to spend on other repairs or fighting for the insurance to take care of it all. Probably the altter...

Hipster Lawrence
08-11-2010, 12:50 AM
Fight them. Don't give up hey WILL cave. You have 7500 in the car so far? Ask for 9k. Settle for 8k and you keep your car.

If they don't like it then they can fix your car.

Keep the rental car as long as possible. It's probably a good idea to call the rental place and bitch and get a more expensive rental that might light a fire under Geico's ass.

I fukin hate Geico.

sinkrite
08-14-2010, 01:23 AM
Geico guy called me saying he wants to get this wrapped up as soon as possible, mentioning there isn't unlimited time on the rental. I figure he made me wait, I can make him wait. My car won't be done until late next week at the earliest, so why should I give the rental back before then? Woof!

Still don't know what they're going to do, fix or total. Either way, it's getting fixed.. but bleh..

KM
08-14-2010, 01:36 AM
The thing is, you can't let them do all the work.
A friend of mine had an 89 IROC Camaro. She fishtailed into a tree, insurance wanted to cut her a check for $3000 when she paid $5000. We did our own research and found similar cars selling for $10,000-15,000. The paid her $10k, plus the rental for two weeks.

T-spoon
08-14-2010, 07:17 PM
The thing is, you can't let them do all the work.
A friend of mine had an 89 IROC Camaro. She fishtailed into a tree, insurance wanted to cut her a check for $3000 when she paid $5000. We did our own research and found similar cars selling for $10,000-15,000. The paid her $10k, plus the rental for two weeks.

This DOES have some effect. When my 93 MR2 got rear-ended I went online and printed off 20 or so comparable cars for sale along with my receipts for recent upgrades. They did total the car (this is based on cost of repairs as a percentage of value of car, they don't have to not total it based on fair market replacement, they just have to give you fair market price to REPLACE it) but gave me something like 8k (I paid 4500, which is of course a steal) and I bought the car back with salvage title.

There is nothing at all you can do to keep them from totaling it, all you can do is effect how much they give you for it.

zmile06
08-16-2010, 05:34 AM
Be happy it's gecio, when i got in a car accident the progressive adjusted cursed me out on the phone, and then when i called up to talk to his supervisor they told me the call was not recorded.

Make sure you don't eat up all your settlement in rental, just find out the minimum for property damage in your state, average it out with your settlement. They want to settle because they have to pay for the rental, progressive didn't even want to admit it was there insurer and refused to set up a car rental.

If they try to give you crap about the rental tell them they have to provide you the car until you are able to obtain a new vehicle. They can't gank it, without you having another mode of transportation.

You can also ask for a itemized list from there adjuster, if they are using aftermarket parts, or are leaving out things needing replaced that are small it can add up.

You can also use the nada guide to justify a higher price, and tell them averaging out the total sells does not compare to the condition of your car, since yours is obviously higher condition.

Make sure you tell them of all the aftermarket wheels etc. If they even have a scratch on them you need them replaced, because it won't be like it was before the accident no matter what they do.

Also best way to justify a higher price is go to a local listing and show them similar cars (think someone already said this), if they want receipts tell them the majority of people don't keep receipts, for these circumstances.

Whatever you do though, don't let them push you around, they are legally obligated to work with you. Does not mean they will make it easy though.

sinkrite
08-16-2010, 08:20 PM
Appreciate the advice. Apparently the value they came to was based on others on alltrac.net that actually sold, he wasn't using ones simply for sale. Also, he said that for example the '93 with 40k miles that sold on ebay for $13k recently wasn't even relevant due to its near mint condition. Should I fight them on that? Seems like they should at least take it into account somehow. Haven't really been able to show much evidence that it's worth a whole lot more based on hard evidence of completed sales. All in all though, if I were actually to get it completely replaced I'd have to spend a ton of money even traveling to find it which I would think should be compensated for too. Not having my bill of sale doesn't help, but the guy wrote a much lower value on it anyway to save me in sales tax. Getting close to crunch time and not sure how much to accept. After buying it for $5400 and putting near $3000 into it right before being hit, their $4400 seems retarded.

Nitro_Alltrac
08-16-2010, 11:25 PM
Not rain on your parade but you can't really count the repair money you've got in it. They might give some on certian things but they'll depreciate it to some extent. I haven't seen your car personally but All Trac in good condition seem to be going in the $4000 to $6000 range. To get $8000 or $9000 it's going to have to be in primo shape and excellent mechanical condition. The one that went for $13,000 was about as good as you can get and a 93 if I remember right. 1 of 81. There's a reason the selling price at AT.net averaged out to about $4400. The demand for these cars is dropping. I have been very active at AT.net since I got my car in 2006 and there has been a considerable drop off in the price the All Tracs go for in the past couple of years. When I first got mine they were actually selling for $7000 to $8000 regularly. About two years ago they started to drop off. You could really tell they prices were going down by the quality of the people that started posting. The knowledge level started to drop off. The cars are only worth what people are willing to pay for them. With All Tracs, you have to find some one who's willing to pay and those are getting harder to find.

I don't like it any better than you do. I'd like to get $7000 or $8000 out of mine but in reality, I'm looking at the $4000 to $5000 range. With cars this old a lot of the value depends on the demand and there's not that much demand for All Tracs any more. Most people, like the adjuster, don't know what they are.

Like I said, I'm not trying to be a dick, but you're probably looking at around the figure he came up with, maybe more. If you've got receipts for the new parts and work, provide those, that should get you a little more but most likely not all. I hope you can get $7000 to $8000 out of them but it's not really likely.

That's the problem with having old cars, you will rarely get out of them what you've put in. With cars like these you almost have to have a stated value insurance policy and then with those you are severely limited most of the time on how much you can drive and where.

sinkrite
08-17-2010, 03:40 AM
Mike, what you said makes perfect sense. The only reason I'm even trying to use the repair receipts in my claim is because most of the work was done less than a week before the incident. I told the adjuster I want my car back on the road similar to how it was before his guy smashed into it. That was my bottom line, that their driver got drunk, started a fight, tried to run and hit my parked car. As a completely innocent involved party, I just wanted them to fix my car. He said he'll see what he can do for me. We'll see what happens now.

Nitro_Alltrac
08-17-2010, 03:59 AM
Definitely take the receipts to them. That will help, especially since it was that recent. I wasn't sure what kind of time frame we were talking about.

From the pictures, the car is very fixable. They need to make you whole on this deal, especially given the circumstances. What I said earlier wasn't to try and shoot you down or anything. I was just trying make the point on how they are going to determine value. It sounds like you're dealing with a halfway decent adjuster. A lot of the ones I dealt with when I was in the bodyshop wouldn't have made half the effort this guy has.

Hang in there and keep us posted. It is a bitch going through this when your car isn't just a couple of years old. Have you checked any of the old car pricing guides like cars or particular interest (I think that's the name of one of them). Our cars may be showing up in them by now, I'm not sure. The thing is that interest in japanese performance cars is just now staring to take off. We've got a few more years, probably, before the All Tracs start to swing back up.

Hopefully things will come out alright. Nothing else, if they'll go for $4000-5000, see how much they'll give you without declaring it a "total loss" and branding the title. I don't know how it works in your state, but in some, like WV, you don't automatically get the option to buy the car back. You have to go to the salvage auction and bid on it. I know because I had a couple totaled in flood about 10 years ago. One was numbers matching 72 Monte Carlo. That sucked. Be sure to check about this if they talk about totaling it so you know what you're in for if you want to keep the car.

sinkrite
08-18-2010, 05:28 AM
It's a done deal. The repair won't be done until Friday (I hope) but they're cutting me a check for $4200 after $500 buyback and one or two hundred in fees. That means their value on paper is at $4900 ish. I had to push and shove them to go that high, and though I think I could have gone a little higher I started to feel like I was giving a decent guy a hard time. The adjuster really did want to help me out. As far as a branded title goes, in WA I believe if a car is over 20 years old they may not have to do it. That would be nice, as there was pretty much no way they weren't going to total it. Possible suspension and drivetrain damage showing up later due to where it was hit.... Body shop told me it'll be right around $3200 to fix, so that'll give me $1k to take care of other things like the interior piece if I can find one. All in all it could have been a lot worse, but still..... I need a protected parking space! heh..

T-spoon
08-18-2010, 05:30 AM
I need a protected parking space! heh..

THIS!

blackkanto
08-18-2010, 05:39 AM
Well I'm glad you came to a resolution. Would have been nice to get more considering what you put into it, but thats life for ya. As you said, it could have been a lot worse and thankfully it didn't turn that way. Glad it will be on the road again soon :)

Nitro_Alltrac
08-19-2010, 02:47 AM
What were the fees for?

sinkrite
08-20-2010, 02:53 AM
I'm not entirely sure. I dunno. The settlement explanation essentially reads as follows:

Agreed value of vehicle: $4000
[x] add state sales tax $324
[x] misc fees & adjustments $376- Reg. Title & Adj
Amount to you (payment enclosed) $4200

The math there doesn't make sense, but the $4200 amount is what I was able to haggle Geico up to.

Also, Geico's yanking the rental car as of tomorrow (ETA on repair is next friday, one week after) so I plan on using a new rental quote as support when I take the guy to small claims court. That and documentation of whatever it takes to find that trunk interior panel should be enough to make him cover at least some of it. I'm going to really stick it to him however I can since it was in no way my fault, not even being in the car at the time.

Nitro_Alltrac
08-20-2010, 04:09 AM
I understand. The fee line is additional money they paid you. When the insurance totals a car they pay you the equivalent sales tax plus your license fee. Add those two amounts to the 4000 and that gives you $4700. You said they sold you car back for $500, right? Take that off and you've got your $4200.

I'd definitely go for the extra rental car expense when you sue the bastard and anything else you can get out of him.

Your interior is grey right? There's 90 GT-S in one of the pick and pull yards here that has all of the rear compartment panels but it's blue. I guess you could have it painted.

sinkrite
08-20-2010, 06:57 AM
Gotcha, yeah that makes sense. Appreciate it, but as I discovered when I got my alltrac.. the trunk compartment is actually smaller, and the interior panels are different. Discovered I didn't have a jack compartment cover when I got the car and started looking for a replacement... then I realized I hadn't actually looked in the car and sure enough it was down with the spare tire (haha). Anyway yeah.. it's alltrac specific :( booo!!

Nitro_Alltrac
08-21-2010, 12:32 AM
You're right. The luggage compartment trim show to be different in the All Trac than it is in the other Celicas. I figured that a GTS would be the same since it's a wide body as well. Learned something new.

I looked this up on wholesaletoyoparts.com. The rear trim pieces still show to be available in the catalog. They price the left side trim at $61.63. I've bought a lot of stuff from these guys and they are great. Their communication is great. Anyway, it might be worth checking to see if it is available. I've been surprised at what is still available for these cars. If that fails, you might check the for sale ads at AT.net. These pieces show up from time to time. I got the rear panel for mine there. Good luck.

sinkrite
08-21-2010, 02:00 AM
Thanks, yeah when I got my all trac I was surprised that the luggage area was smaller all the way around and not just shallower (due to the rear diff?). Anyway, I tried a few different sites and once the order gets to processing they're like, "oh wait, yeah that's discontinued." Good advice once again tho.

sinkrite
08-28-2010, 03:50 PM
I got my car back yesterday, at long last. 5 weeks after it was hit. $3400 repair, $800 less than what the insurance company gave me for it.

Slider
08-28-2010, 04:18 PM
Nice looks as good as new

Nitro_Alltrac
08-29-2010, 04:18 AM
The 185 looks great!

Congrats on the 165. Looks like you've caught the All Trac disease. You're now on the same path as LegacyofDan. LOL

trumanpriest
09-11-2010, 04:42 PM
Glad to see the 185 got fixed up. Looks like they did a great job.

gen5dream
09-13-2010, 05:20 AM
Holy crap! My heart goes out to you and your celica :( i would surely sue his ass to death for hitting my car. I try not to park my car near idiot drivers but no matter how careful you are there is always a montreal taxi close by... RIP Candy1 :(.

Luckily all the hell i lived through brought me to my Japanese imported GT-FOUR.

Cartel
09-14-2010, 08:11 PM
dude that sucks