PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust options

4thgenceli
07-23-2010, 12:52 AM
So I've been doing a bit of digging on exhausts.

There's a few options I found. I saw that the st165/185 are the same routing/etc. I don't see a difference in the exhaust routing on the st162 from the st165.I should be able to use the 185's exhaust then on my 162 chassis.

I was looking at the HKS and Motoria exhaust kits for the st185. I can get the Motoria for $450 shipped. It's a full exhaust too (downpipe -> muffler). I would have to have an exhaust shop create the pipe that will come off the cat and over the crossmember back to the rest of the exhaust. HKS I will have to do the same thing.

Now, I found a shop out near me that quoted $195 for a full exhaust, excluding muffler (3" mandreal bend) from the cat back. At first he tried to quote with installing a cat, but I told him that the cat has been moved and is in the front of the car now. He stuck with the $195 quote, half a day to do. I would either run straight pipe (tempted), or buy a muffler and have them weld it on.

I'm thinking the 3" custom exhaust would be the best bet, but I'd need them to throw in a flex pipe as well though. Other than that, I'm finding very little reasoning why I should buy a pre-made exhaust. Any thoughts on this? (namely any recommendations for a muffler hehe).

---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 PM ----------

For example, I'm considering the 60 Series Delta Flow 2.00"IN(C)/OUT(C) Flowmaster muffler . I can get it in 2", 2.5", or 3" sizes. That'll put me just at 300 for a full exhaust.

Sang
07-23-2010, 02:22 AM
If they can do a good job (TIG'd, good quality SS, all mandrel bends) and can meet or beat the OTS stuff, then I'd get it done locally.

88st165
07-23-2010, 03:37 AM
Hmm the routing between 2wd and 4wd looked different from what i remember. Routing on the 2wd isnt as straight back bc the gas tank is before the rear axle. Id rather have a custom mandrel exhaust anyway bc I have tried an SSAC twin tip and an Aussie twin tip exhaust and both rubbed on the rear subframe no matter how I adjusted it. Im in the process of making my own out of 3in exhaust from an evo that I got for free.

presure2
07-25-2010, 01:07 PM
sang has the right idea.
although with the proper wire and sheilding gas mig welded stainless would also be fine.
300 is cheap for a complete exhaust, especially in stainless, and mandrel bent.
hell, just buying the bends to make a complete system in stainless (304 or 316) is over 200$ for me.

Hookecho
07-25-2010, 04:41 PM
Let the muffler shop do it. Did you find a flex pipe for a reasonable price?

4thgenceli
07-26-2010, 01:01 AM
Let the muffler shop do it. Did you find a flex pipe for a reasonable price?
Online :P

I've ordered the 3" flex pipe, and will have the exhaust done after a few checks come in (weekly pay FTW). But for now, 255LPH fuel pump en-route!

I'll steal my father inlaws truck for a few days and get the exhaust done.

ChrisD
07-26-2010, 04:55 PM
Just to clarify, the 165/185 and 162 exhaust routing is very different.

For the 162, custom is way better. Cheaper, etc. The big reason the alltrac chassis typically go with pre-fabbed is because most exhaust shops either won't touch it or say it can't be done. (ie. "there's no way a 3" pipe will fit above that axle...."...ya....)

JDM SNUKUMZ
07-26-2010, 05:10 PM
custom would be the best route IMO.

4thgenceli
07-31-2010, 05:15 AM
I'm going the custom route.

I can't seem to find a shop that'll do the exhaust a full 3" from the front to the back that doesn't bitch about going over the crossmember. They all want to go under it.

I did some measuring, and the stock st215 cat outlet and midpipe are 2".

I"m going to cut the mid pipe just after the crossmember, and see how that looks. I may go a 3" from the crossmember back and have the shop weld onto the 2" pipe. It's basically a full 3" exhaust, minus like 6" or so.

ChrisD
08-01-2010, 05:47 PM
Does the MP crimp down to less than that though? It won't be a bad thing obviously...stock is like that so it'd be fine, just not maximizing power.

We took the mandrel bends in to a basic muffler shop on Ryan's car....he complained, but he was good about it and did a great job. Just a lot of cutting involved. We should take some pics of Ryan's piping...

4thgenceli
08-01-2010, 05:59 PM
I don't think it 'crimps' down, but a different pipe completely. I see there's a weld in there, so I think its a oval pipe in there. I'll know more later today when I get it torn apart :P

RyanD
08-02-2010, 06:01 AM
It actually bugs me when shops say it can't be done. When you see it completed, it's actually pretty simple. A few extra cuts and welds, but nothing serious at all.