PDA

View Full Version : Hood Scoop

Naemion
07-22-2010, 11:45 PM
I don't want to go out and spend $600 for a hood, although if I could find one for about $100 I'd pick it up right now.

What I want to do is find a hood scoop online and add it to a spare hood that I have lying around, and try fabricating my own.

Anyone have any good places to find good scoops for cheap? I would like to pick one up for about $30-40, and I have all the other tools I would need.

What I am planning on doing is drilling holes around the scoop, then making a metal bracket the same shape and drilling the same holes. Once I have that done, I am going to put the scoop where I want it on the hood, and drill the holes through the hood and sandwich everything together and do some body work to the top of the hood to make it look pretty.

As far as cutting the hole, I was planning on cutting the hole slightly smaller than the scoop and then bending the front of the hole down slightly toward the engine to give it a little more of an opening. My only concern is when it rains. Is it good to get all that water under your hood, or is there a way to prevent that?

Anyone else have any ideas, send them my way. If I can get this to work fairly easily, I may start making them and selling them as kits to people that want to add a scoop for cheaper than buying a complete Alltrac hood.

KM
07-23-2010, 12:36 AM
The main scoop on the Alltrac hood allows water to go in, but you'd be surprised how little actually gets in even in a bad storm. The only real issue is when you're washing the car. You will get water EVERYWHERE.

I'd recommend following the AT hood design and putting a vent to let that scooped air OUT, or else you might see your hood flying off at high speeds like an umbrella in the wind.

Naemion
07-23-2010, 12:54 AM
Do you know where those can be purchased for fairly cheap?

KM
07-23-2010, 03:13 AM
You'd be lucky to find a AT hood for $100, although I have seen it. Check your local craigslist.

I know there's a CS hood with no inserts in Colorado for $100.
There's a OE-style carbon fiber hood in GA for $150

If you're planning on buying an aftermarket scoop, stay away from Pilot Automotive. They're the ones that are sold in Autozone/Advance/etc.

As a side note, and it's like blasphemy saying it, but check alltrac.net's for sale forum (http://alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=15) for GT4 body parts

http://alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=38187 is $50, prefers pickup, but might ship.