PDA

View Full Version : Engine swap help

wtaung
07-21-2010, 11:19 PM
Hi... i have a toyota celica 95 convertable.... it is an automatic transmission... i am looking for an engine ehich has more power then the one i have right now... i have the 3SGTE in mind... but the ones i found online didnt specify whether it is an auto transmission or a manual transmission..? can anyone help me with this issue..?

4thgenceli
07-21-2010, 11:36 PM
3sgte's only came with manual transmission. The exception to this is the ST215, gen4 3sgte. This came either manual or auto.

Check out the FI (forced induction) forum. There's some stickies at the top that explain everything you'll need to know about doing the 3sgte swap.

Smaay
07-29-2010, 02:39 PM
why dont you just throw a turbo system on your 5S-FE? its been done...many times

wtaung
08-02-2010, 03:17 AM
by how much will the horse power increase then..? n do u have any rough idea of how much a turbo system costs..?

MGCustoms325
08-02-2010, 05:31 AM
Turbo'ing the 5s is more expensive than the 3s due to the fact that in order for it to run properly and reliably it involves alot of tuning with a standalone.

---------- Post added at 12:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 AM ----------

Explained perfectly from someone that has had both a 5SFTE and now has a 3rd gen 3s. 2nd to last post by pressure2 http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=73105&st=220

JDM SNUKUMZ
08-02-2010, 07:53 PM
like MG said the cost of doing a turbo kit for the 5s is practically next to nothing for what it takes to make it run.

now if youre gonna do a 3s head on a 5s block then thats a whole diff ballgame.

MGCustoms325
08-03-2010, 05:07 AM
Snukumz knows what he's talking about. If you need any further proof take a look at his mr2...

JDM SNUKUMZ
08-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Snukumz knows what he's talking about. If you need any further proof take a look at his mr2...

I try you know :)

Smaay
08-03-2010, 08:29 PM
have you turboed a 5S-FE? you have no clue what you are talking about, you can get a used MR2 or ST185 manifold and turbo for about 200 bucks. then get a pipe kit and intercooler on ebay for what 350? have a fabricator shape the pipes to fit 200-300. used Supra injectors and MAP sensor 100 bucks... Total = 950 DONE!

JDM SNUKUMZ
08-03-2010, 09:13 PM
have you turboed a 5S-FE? you have no clue what you are talking about, you can get a used MR2 or ST185 manifold and turbo for about 200 bucks. then get a pipe kit and intercooler on ebay for what 350? have a fabricator shape the pipes to fit 200-300. used Supra injectors and MAP sensor 100 bucks... Total = 950 DONE!

and fuel pump?
adjustable fuel presure regulator?
some type of tunning?

Just cause you put a map sensor in the car it means youre good to go man,and even then you dont need another map sensor as the stock one will be good for a couple of pounds.

What you have stated is what the cost of the parts.Which what we have said its not the problem, the problem is for the car to run good and be reliable.

I noticed in your sig you have a 5sfte in a celica care to explain what you have done to it? and howm long its been running for...

Not trying to put no one down but at the same time giving the proper advice/help counts as well.

bloodMoney
08-03-2010, 11:32 PM
BACK ON TOPIC:

The choice between a 3s and a 5s turbo is entirely up to you. An ST205 front clip can be had for around $3k. Its kinda steep in know, but this comes with everything you'll need for the swap. Plus, you may even get the ST205 hood and bumper as well :)

The 5s turbo setup has been priced out between 1k-2k depending on what type of tuning you choose to do. If done PROPERLY, you can spend up to 1k just for the tuning hardware (this doesn't include getting someone to tune it). The 'quick and dirty' way to do it would be to simply add a SAFC and wideband and tune so that the AFR's stay within the acceptable range.

There is also the non-turbo 3sge BEAMS motor which puts out ~200hp (think stock 2nd gen 3sgte).

So, there are options out there, the choice and research is up to you.

EDIT: The s54 trans (standard to all M/T 6gen celicas) will fit any of the options you are considering. If you do buy an ST215 auto motor, you will need to do a little extra wiring to bypass the neutral safety switch. stetsonaw on 6gc.net has her auto to manual swap documented in her build thread over here (http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=58722&hl)

Smaay
08-04-2010, 06:31 PM
sure, i have done everything that i just explained. but it cost me a fraction since i did all the work myself. and i used the pars off my All-Trac

there is this really cool thing called a search. try using it, i have posted all my projects on here

but ill sum it up for you, right now im using the RX7 460 injectors and an AEM FIC for tuning. thats it. but its been proven over and over on MR2oc and 6GC that the 2Bar MAP sensor and Supra 315 injectors work perfectly together.

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/6/1/6/dsc04223.jpg

JDM SNUKUMZ
08-04-2010, 06:47 PM
sure, i have done everything that i just explained. but it cost me a fraction since i did all the work myself. and i used the pars off my All-Trac

there is this really cool thing called a search. try using it, i have posted all my projects on here

yeah I did look you up right after I posted and saw what you was using for tunning which contradicts what you posted earlier by failing to mention the fact that you were using a piggyback for tunning.:kekekegay:

but ill sum it up for you, right now im using the RX7 460 injectors and an AEM FIC for tuning. thats it. but its been proven over and over on MR2oc and 6GC that the 2Bar MAP sensor and Supra 315 injectors work perfectly together.

once again what youre not understanding is that not everyone can do what you can do.

I mean hell I can do what you said on any 5s motor as well and call it a day but the point of this whole topic and its what youre failing to see is getting the setup to run effectively and realible.:hsughno:

I'll stop here cause if im not mistaken everyone else understood what I was trying to say, which bloodmoney backed me up and also tried to explain to you and yet it still wasnt clear.

bloodMoney
08-05-2010, 03:08 AM
It was not my intention to back anyone up with my post. I merely wanted to post up some clarity amongst whatever swordfight is going on between the two of you.

JDM: The truth is, Presure2 ran his 5sfte for a long while reliably using the SAFC and wideband.

Smaay: Why did you not get the oil filter relocation kit for the motor? I'd imagine that the oil filter gets pretty hot at op. temp.....

OP: That's another expense that would be a good idea to put on the list.... An oil filter relocation kit ~$200

Smaay
08-09-2010, 06:24 PM
it probably does get a little warm. im not going to stick with this setup much longer. the CT26 just sucks! the purpose was to do this really cheap since i already had everything on hand. im going to be building a new manifold and use the same turbo on my 7A-FE kits. flows better and faster spool up.

JDM SNUKUMZ
08-09-2010, 06:42 PM
It was not my intention to back anyone up with my post. I merely wanted to post up some clarity amongst whatever swordfight is going on between the two of you.

JDM: The truth is, Presure2 ran his 5sfte for a long while reliably using the SAFC and wideband.

Smaay: Why did you not get the oil filter relocation kit for the motor? I'd imagine that the oil filter gets pretty hot at op. temp.....

OP: That's another expense that would be a good idea to put on the list.... An oil filter relocation kit ~$200

I know about Pressure2 setup but smaay didnt metioned no type of piggyback which is what I was trying to state in this thread.That some type of piggyback is needed.

Angel