PDA

View Full Version : Might be selling the ST next week.

KM
07-21-2010, 09:02 PM
I've been getting some crazy offers on it, but the most dependable one seems to be $3500.

Now, this will leave me without a car for a little, granted I really don't drive it much.

I have a friend's miata in one of my parking spaces, I went with him to buy it, personally haggled the people down to $1650, and have done all the work on it. He won't/can't put any more money into it (I told him it needs new timing covers and a bracket that grounds the ECU to the block... like $35-45 worth of stuff), so it's just been sitting half-finished with a car cover over it.

I told him I'd give him $1700 for it if I can't find a 6th Gen for around that.

I'm kind of torn between what I want to be my next project. A turbo miata, 6th gen, or N/A MR2.

I've been all up inside that miata. There isn't a spot of rust on the entire thing, although it does have hail damage on the hood and trunk. Big, black racing stripes with actually look good on a miata. Underbody is immaculate, with no leaks in the rear diff.

I wanted an MR2, but there's something about googling "mr2 wrecks" that just makes me want to stay away. And the one I test drove just really wasn't that much fun, but it was pretty beat up.

And 6th Gen? I'd totally throw money at a WRC look-alike.

donteatbugs
07-21-2010, 09:08 PM
i like miatas for a race car but not so much a dd i think

KM
07-21-2010, 09:28 PM
I'd love to have an alltrac, but that shit just doesn't want to happen.

Cavanagh
07-21-2010, 09:40 PM
I wanted an MR2, but there's something about googling "mr2 wrecks" that just makes me want to stay away.

It's because people don't know how to drive them, or try to drive them like a FF or FR.

BabyBear
07-21-2010, 09:55 PM
It's because people don't know how to drive them, or try to drive them like a FF or FR.

+1

KM
07-21-2010, 10:47 PM

There's an orange and black 94 with a TRD wide body kit (pretty sure it's a factory turbo) driving around here somewhere. I pulled into Home Depot (oddly enough) in Peachtree City and he revved at me. I tried to wave him down, but he took off.
I really dig that car.

I'm kind of picky about my cars, anyway. I'd only get a 94/95 miata (the one I've been working on is a 95) with the stiffer chassis bracing, 1.8L, and Torsen LSD.
I'd only get a 94+ MR2.
I'd only get a 6th Gen liftback.

BabyBear
07-21-2010, 11:12 PM
You do realize that you can make a 91-93(93 only needs tails and spoiler) MR2 to the 94+ stuff cheaper than what a 94+ MR2 will cost right?

KM
07-21-2010, 11:16 PM
You do realize that you can make a 91-93(93 only needs tails and spoiler) MR2 to the 94+ stuff cheaper than what a 94+ MR2 will cost right?

What's that I read about a snap oversteer?

Hiko
07-22-2010, 01:15 AM

Two things.

One, the 93 has the same suspension as 94+ models.

And two...

As far as what to get, I would say go for an MR2 if you want to and can. And I know I'm on the wrong forums for saying this, but given a choice, I'd rather have a miata than a 6th gen (RWD=fun).

EDIT: . (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnhiFucXoVk)

BabyBear
07-22-2010, 02:33 AM

What I was talking about when I was saying you could make a 91-93 just like a 94+ is you do the tails, the spoiler, the front lip if its a 91-92, and the rear crossmember(the supposed fix for snap oversteer) if its a 91-92(93 has this crossmember stock). All of this can be done for cheaper than the retarded price they want for a 94+. Oh, and the brakes on the 91-92 cars, you'll need to do the brakes on one as well. Still cheaper than the 4-6k extra they want for a 94+

Waffles!
07-22-2010, 02:34 AM

+2

As long as you realize you're driving a mid-rear car and drive it like one, you'll be fine.

KM: I never saw an orange and black MR2 in PTC. I wonder how long the owner has had the car...

KM
07-22-2010, 03:03 AM
I saw the orange and black MR2 on craigslist a while back, so this dude is probably just some Fayette County douche kid.
It had a Gen3 3SGTE and a TRD wide body kit. It's fucking GORGEOUS.

Not as good as baktasht's, though.
[IMG REMOVED. SOMETHING ABOUT TROJANS AND HORSES AND WHATNOT.]

The one I saw locally is seriously Home Depot orange with everything from the bumper line to the ground gloss black.

Also, I wouldn't pay 4-6k for a car in general, much less pay 4-6k MORE for a year.
Unless that more means I get a Supra. Then oh hells yeah.
I'd rather get an MR2 than a 6th gen, I'll say that.

My miata love deal is that I've driven this one and absolutely loved it. Granted it took 3 hours to get it home from I-285 exit 1 to I-85 exit 47... thanks to every reason I used to haggle the price down failing at the same time.

burnyd
07-22-2010, 05:11 AM
gl getting a miata mr2 etc etc...

people want a million dollars for their half running cars as long as they have a spec of rarity anymore just a tiny bit its glorified like its a 98 supra.

KM
07-22-2010, 05:33 AM
gl getting a miata mr2 etc etc...

people want a million dollars for their half running cars as long as they have a spec of rarity anymore just a tiny bit its glorified like its a 98 supra.

I've noticed quite a few MR2 guys getting away from them for a 4-seater, but not wanting to trade because "MR2s are rare". I'd convinced one guy that my car is worth ATLEAST that of an N/A MkII, and then as soon as he wanted to trade, I didn't want to 'cause I found out his car was a rust bucket.
Getting a miata wouldn't be as hard as getting an MR2, considering a friend of mine has had one sitting underneath a car cover in one of my reserved parking spaces. It doesn't run, but it'd take less than $50 and a day to make it.

85gtsblackman
07-22-2010, 05:42 AM
get REAL rwd

or a 6th gen a a pure daily

KM
07-22-2010, 05:58 AM
get REAL rwd

or a 6th gen a a pure daily

I really don't like 3rd gens, sorry.
I thought about getting an AE86 or a 240.
I have a friend that has both. Both turbo (4AGTE and SR20DET). Both drift sluts. I drove the shit out of them, and while it was fun, it's definitely not something I'd want to drive daily. Just not comfortable.

Hipster Lawrence
07-22-2010, 01:37 PM
My ae86 is very comfortable to drive on stock suspension and mk1 mr2 seats. Your buddy prob has 8/6kg trd springs.

Mk2 mr2 n/a would be an OK daily.

Miata would be a great daily driver. IMO. As long as the top doesn't leak id go for the miata.

You could get an mk1 mr2. There's one on CL with a blown engine for 500 or so, I can sell you a good 4age for 150.

Hipster Lawrence
07-22-2010, 01:37 PM
double post.

UtahSleeper
07-22-2010, 06:09 PM
I have only heard good about miata's with handling and overall performance.

85gtsblackman
07-22-2010, 09:45 PM
I really don't like 3rd gens, sorry.
I thought about getting an AE86 or a 240.
I have a friend that has both. Both turbo (4AGTE and SR20DET). Both drift sluts. I drove the shit out of them, and while it was fun, it's definitely not something I'd want to drive daily. Just not comfortable.

i ment the miata over the duce, theres nothing like the feel of a well balanced F/R set up.

though i was going to suggest a 86 or a 240 if u want to leave the toyota family

but if u just want a daily driver, which it seems u dont, id opt out for a 6th gen

KM
07-22-2010, 10:43 PM
i ment the miata over the duce, theres nothing like the feel of a well balanced F/R set up.

though i was going to suggest a 86 or a 240 if u want to leave the toyota family

but if u just want a daily driver, which it seems u dont, id opt out for a 6th gen

No matter what I get, it will be my daily. By that, I mean my 10-20 miles I may or may not drive.
I've wanted something rear wheel, something I can have a little fun in.

I'm probably getting the miata. I just have to persuade the owner into selling it to me. Should be easy, since I have the resources to fix it, not to mention I have his only key on my garage wall.