PDA

View Full Version : Who knows about shipping big items.?

celica9303
07-20-2010, 05:06 AM
I might be buying a hood. And its out of state.and im trying to help the seller out, with how to ship it. Any ideas?

T-spoon
07-20-2010, 05:12 AM
You can get a price quote for UPS freight. Need the dimensions and the weight. Specify no liftgate needed if they ask. There are other freight companies too, but they're a little less convenient to check with.

Ehhhh, you know on second thought, I'm not sure how available UPS is to non businesses. My experience with large items was all with the dealership and we had accounts and whatnot with shipping companies and with a service that found shipping quotes. Some hoods might be small enough to ship normally via UPS and Fedex though, you could always measure and check on their websites.

celica9303
07-20-2010, 05:25 AM
You can get a price quote for UPS freight. Need the dimensions and the weight. Specify no liftgate needed if they ask. There are other freight companies too, but they're a little less convenient to check with.

Thanks. Its a cs hood (bare/just the panel) any idea of the weight?I'm guessing round 35-40lbs. Wife says its a go( most likley) depending on shipping cost. I can get the other dimensions from my hood.

What about greyhound? Possibly any cheaper than ups?

Would you reccomend a crate for it?

T-spoon
07-20-2010, 05:34 AM
Weight, I'm not sure, I do know they are MUCH lighter than the stock hood. You should need a crate, just cardboard with packing material to protect it. A crate would obviously protect it better but it would also add a lot of weight and make it more expensive. Remember the dimensions will be the whole thing packaged, not just the hood itself. I don't have experience with greyhound but it could be worth getting a quote. If I can remember some of the shipping companies we used I'll post'm, but at the moment I'm drawing a blank.

celica9303
07-20-2010, 05:40 AM
Hmm ok ill relay that info to the seller too. And get my own quote too. I hope my wife says yes.....and shipping is a foot in my mouth.

---------- Post added at 12:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 AM ----------

How does the dealer ship them(hoods im general) cRdboard box and peanuts lol or other packing material

T-spoon
07-20-2010, 05:43 AM
Heh, they actually get to the dealers in a flimsy cardboard box that's open on the inside face of the hood. They're terrible and some of them get damaged by the points digging through the cardboard and getting scraped or folded over on the ground. I guess they count on them being tightly packed together to protect them. Actually now that it's mentioned.. I took home a free 6g GT4 hood once because it had some minor scrapes on it due to the crummy packaging. It's now on a guy's car on 6GC. :hehe: We probably threw away 10 or so hoods one year.

When we shipped them out to individuals we put paper and bubble wrap on the edges and enclosed the box on all sides. Usually people would be buying a bumper cover too (CS conversion stuff) and we'd strap them both on a palette.

celica9303
07-20-2010, 06:04 AM
Hmmm interesting....lol so cardboard box(slim) with paper and bubble wrap surrounding the hood so it doesnt move and is protected. Well I hope the seller I willing to ship it to me(seemed very leary about it) cuz I hate to say it its a way better price than the dealer. And its brand new. I'm estimating shipping cost at around $150 maybe 200 am I wrong do you think?

T-spoon
07-20-2010, 06:10 AM
Oh, for the "points" (the edges that are tapered at the back of the hood where the hinges are) a good way to protect them is to take two small boxes and cut slots in them to stick over the points so even if they mis-handle the box it protects them.

It should be less than that really. A whole palette with bumper cover, hood and some other parts was usually right around $150, so the hood by itself shouldn't be that much.

celica9303
07-20-2010, 06:28 AM
Awesome! Thanks spoon. I can definetly talk my wife in to it if shipping is cheaper than 150. But it is comming from half way across the country so idk.. now I just hope he can do it. I even gave him the aproximate weight of the hood.