PDA

View Full Version : LeMons Racecar tech tips

dunedin
07-19-2010, 06:21 PM
We are putting together a 94 GT coupe for 24 hour of LeMons racing (and probably Chump Car too). Our $500 car has 160k miles, a big oil leak, but not much else wrong.

Does anyone have any experiences or good ideas to make it go faster on the track? The twist is that $500 is the spending limit on the car, so anything we do has to be subtle and above all CHEAP.

So far, I have heard that the rear struts from a convertible are stiffer, and will help to keep the rear end in line. There is a pair on a car in a local junkyard. Is it worth swapping them out?

Also have heard that an ST anti-roll bar on the front is thinner so it will help traction in the corners and reduce understeer. True? Or should I just take it off? It will probably just come off if the track is wet.

Are there any standard (i.e. cheap) wheels off other cars that can give us wider rubber?

Any other ideas? Any inspiration appreciated!!

Hiko
07-20-2010, 12:11 AM
Well, just a couple of random things, though I'm not sure how useful they'll be or if you've already heard of them.

There is a header off of 98+ camry's, and if you have access to a welder and can find one in a yard for cheap, it might not be a bad upgrade.

Also, there is a strut tower bar off ebay that can be put in on the cheap. (~$30) Details here (http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39846).

Finally, you *might* be able to get OEM stiffer springs for cheap from a 5th gen. The 5th gen is heavier than the 6th gen, but has essentially the same suspension, and I wonder if the spring rates are commensurately higher. I would imagine that the GT-S would have the highest spring rates of the FWD 5th gens, but I have a set of stock GT springs sitting around that I could test the spring rate on if you would like.

Good luck on the build. Keep us posted on how it's coming :bigthumbu