PDA

View Full Version : c-one coilovers?

Mr Celica
07-16-2010, 11:06 PM
i just picked up a rough (astheticly) set of used c-one coilovers for a 5th gen alltrac... i know the rears won't fit in my GT-S w/o modification, but the fronts will...

question is, ive searched everywhere and can't find any information on these, or if they are even for an alltrac. anyone know where i can get information as to how to adjust/ spare parts/ how to make them work/ spring rate, or anything?

i got the set for cheap so i can't complain... will they with modification work and work good for my 1991 GT-S? here is a picture to help you guys out...

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs043.snc4/34504_411509291460_502486460_5042984_992641_n.jpg

any help/information is greatly appreciated!!!

thanks

Rich

Naemion
07-17-2010, 04:05 AM
What's different about the alltrac and the GT-S?

Mr Celica
07-17-2010, 09:48 PM
think the rears are shorter... ill find out soon though...

ANYONE have any information on these?? i know someone has had to have heard about themm....

pleeeeeeeeease lol

Nitro_Alltrac
07-27-2010, 02:38 AM
The rears are different due to the axle shafts.

Mr Celica
07-27-2010, 03:49 AM
how so? is it modifiable? if not i'll be kinda bummed, but i can always just sell them...

Nitro_Alltrac
07-27-2010, 04:17 AM
I'm not sure if you can mod them or not. I'm thinking the All Trac rear struts are shorter to clear axle shift. If I remember correctly the FWD Celica rear strut bolts to the rear knuckle in the middle. On the All Trac they bolt to the top of the knuckle.

Somebody else probably knows more about it than me and might chime in. There is a definite difference between them though.

If you decide to get rid of them I might be interested in them.

Galcobar
07-27-2010, 10:20 AM
FWD doesn't quite bolt to the middle of the rear axle-carrier (yeah, I know, misnomer).

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/5/0/7/axlecarrierassembled.jpg

However, the strut attachment point on the FWD models would interfere with a rear axle so there is a length difference.

Nitro_Alltrac
07-27-2010, 11:26 PM
I wasn't sure exactly how far down it came but that would definitely be in the way of the axle. The All Trac rear knuckle is different and the strut mounts higher up.

You might be able to modify but don't do anything that would be unsafe. The last thing you want is for the modified mounting to fail and the wheel to come off. Something like that usually happens at very inopportune times.

Car_Barn_Bandit
08-01-2010, 10:27 PM
You might be able to modify but don't do anything that would be unsafe. The last thing you want is for the modified mounting to fail and the wheel to come off. Something like that usually happens at very inopportune times.

There is an appropriate time for axle failure?

Is there any info on the c-one's in terms of how to rebuild them, etc?

Mr Celica
08-02-2010, 12:58 AM
i actually repainted them. everything works great, and everything moves freely. all the parts are there, too

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs060.snc4/35372_411775546460_502486460_5049903_4652823_n.jpg

METDeath
08-02-2010, 02:02 AM
The rears pretty much just won't fit. I'd say sell them to someone that has an All-trac and then use the funds to buy some Megan coil-overs for a FWD car.

Car_Barn_Bandit
08-02-2010, 05:20 AM
The rears pretty much just won't fit. I'd say sell them to someone that has an All-trac and then use the funds to buy some Megan coil-overs for a FWD car.

I second that motion. They're an awesome find as well.

You have to question yourself over the headaches involved with a decision to make them fit. Giving yourself and someone else a bolt on option, while gaining a rebuildable set with a warranty is going to go far for you.

They cleaned up really well!

Mr Celica
08-04-2010, 04:07 AM
thanks guys yea i am guessing thats what i'll probably do. just wish i knew how much they cost new and what they could sell for used...

METDeath
08-04-2010, 05:28 AM
Could try looking at closed auctions on eBay or see if they are offered on JDM import sites like RHD Japan or even Yahoo Japan auctions (seems to be bigger than eBay over there).

celica9303
08-04-2010, 09:25 PM
What about swaping out hubs for the alltrac ones? Should bolt up you would just have a hole for where the axle would go.... not positive it would even work as I've never been under an altrac but knowing toyota the basic mounting point for the hub assembly should be relitivily close. Just food for thought.

KoreanJoey
08-05-2010, 03:08 AM
What about swaping out hubs for the alltrac ones? Should bolt up you would just have a hole for where the axle would go.... not positive it would even work as I've never been under an altrac but knowing toyota the basic mounting point for the hub assembly should be relitivily close. Just food for thought.

Would need something to go into that hole as the axle end and nut are what hold the wheel bearing together...

Mr Celica
08-05-2010, 03:28 AM
too much work! someone make me an offer!! haha

darthripley
08-06-2010, 08:29 PM
C-One no longer makes those for the ST185 - they only make coilovers for the ST215 Caldina now.

I couldn't find the published spring rates since they are so old now, but from other ST185 coilover specs of the time I would prolly guess these are something like 8kg in the front & 6kg in the rear.

The long & the short of it is unless you have the extra weight of a 3sgte in the front of your car these are going to be way too stiff & uncomfortable for daily driving unless you like your fillings to rattle out of your teeth on the street.

Put these up for sale over on alltrac.net & you'll get a quick sale so you can get the correct coilovers made for your FWD Celica.

A fair price would be between $700-800 considering they are used.
New Tein coilovers go for ~$1700 these days.