PDA

View Full Version : Installing MAP ECU

BlueDragon
07-16-2010, 01:42 AM
Ok its all pretty simple but I have a couple questions I would like your opinions on.

First off it comes with a new IAT (intake air temp) sensor and they recommend installing it "in the plenum chamber of forced induction engines"
It wires directly to the stock ecu and has no interaction with the MAP ECU so I was wondering should I hook it up in the intake tract pre-turbo the way toyota designed it or fallow their instructions?

Second wondering if anyone knows the life-span of Wideband OX sensors and would it be a smart idea to make it easy for me to plug and play my stock O2 sensor because it seems you only need the wideband when you are tuning or am I missing something here? The instructions for installing the LM-1 Innovate are as-per permanent install. Just wondering what you guys think about this.

Also one of my main objectives here is to be able to unplug the MAP ECU at anytime and reconnect the airbox and oxygen sensor to run stock or to return the vehicle to stock if I decide to at some point. Also would be fun to run down the 1/4 back to back with my stock air box and no tuning and then see what I really gain with the tune.

Smaay
07-17-2010, 10:09 PM
i recommend installing it in the plenum like they it want to. that way you are getting a true intake temperature. Widebands last about 2 years in my experience. but that all depends on gas type. if you run leaded it kills them quickly

BlueDragon
07-18-2010, 06:44 PM
ahhh okay just wondering if this will effect my timing etc negatively because all the cheap ricer add 10 hp mods are always a diode that makes your intake temp read low always. I guess while I am at this I should hook up a gauge to the IAT sensor, I already have nozzles and lines for water injection it would be cool to see how much it helps.
I will be running e-85 as I have been doing for over a year now, any idea how that effects them?
I guess its easy enough to re-solder the old wire back together if I decide to remove the Wide-band (jdm ecu only has 1 ox wire).
Thank you for your response Smaay.

Smaay
07-19-2010, 03:57 PM
put the IAT before any water injection. that will also alter the readings. My supra for example, i have the AIT right after the throttle plate and then the NOS nozzle right after that. luckily the Supra TB is really long

T-spoon
07-19-2010, 11:03 PM
Which are you installing? The map ecu or mapecu2? I'm guessing not a 2 because the IAT sensor it comes with plugs directly into the mapecu2 unit, so it wouldn't wire directly to the stock wires.

It is correct that you do not need a wideband O2 unless you are tuning it yourself. If you are tuning it yourself you don't want to be trying to use the factory O2 obviously. The wiring diagram and instruction manuals do specify how you would do either setup (Wideband or factory).

It is easy to return to stock if you keep the AFM handy. You simply unplug the MAPecu (re-solder/splice the igniter wires if you are using timing control on the Mapecu2), take out the resister in the AFM plug and plug it back in.

88st165
07-20-2010, 02:54 AM
Is it common practice to just use a resistor between the pins on the afm harness for the air temp? I also have mapecu1 wired into my 165 but currently running learn mode. What have you 165 guys done for the fuel pump relay as it is controlled by the afm circuit. The 185 does not have that feature.

T-spoon
07-20-2010, 04:23 AM
Is it common practice to just use a resistor between the pins on the afm harness for the air temp? I also have mapecu1 wired into my 165 but currently running learn mode. What have you 165 guys done for the fuel pump relay as it is controlled by the afm circuit. The 185 does not have that feature.

TBH I never really checked to see what exactly the resistor was doing. I assumed it is a "dummy" signal to keep the factory ECU from freaking out since the MapECU is taking over.

I'm not actually using the mapecu on my 165, I have the mapecu2 on my supra. Really though you need to use the documentation provided by performancemotorresearch specific to the vehicle you're installing it on. Don't try to follow what anyone is doing with it on a different vehicle. What I'm getting at is that if something needs to be done to run the fuel pump, they'll address it with the wiring diagram for the 165 install, and if they don't, ask them on the forums. One of the good things about MAPECU is that they have really really good support.

Edit: Ok, so did some research (hadn't really had a reason to look before) and yeah.. they expect the MR2 wiring information to work for all the AFM 3sgte's. I don't THINK there's anything about the 165 that would keep that from working correctly. I know there's at least one guy that has wired up a MapECU2 to his 165 and it definitely runs so I don't think the fuel pump thing you mentioned is an issue.

BlueDragon
07-20-2010, 04:29 PM
I am a bit confused on this whole thing... what I am looking to get is the actual temperature of the air entering my engine post charge correct? Wouldn't the WI decrease the temp, therefore making your IAT still not read the true intake temp?

I am installing normal MAPECU and with this you wire into the stock ecu for the IAT replacement, which from Toyota's design their definition of "Intake Air Temp" was in the actual intake not inside the charge pipe or intake plenum. Just seems like the car would want to pull timing and who knows what else all the time reading a much higher temp than stock....

To further clarify what is going on here... I too am planning to run in auto learn for a while and I do plan to tune it myself dyno or not.... as far as the O2 I just meant that once you get your tune in you could effectively switch back to your stock O2 and not wear out your wide-band. I know the stock O2 is super sensitive near Lambda for part throttle fuel economy, does the wide-band work just as good for that?

How have you tuned yours t-spoon? I understand the safety issues around "road tuning" which is always a big no-no but I have no access to a dyno, I just do not see how actual road tune would not be better because your dealing what what the car really deals with not some fabricated environment of a dyno with fans etc. Just a thought, and with someone driving and someone tuning its really not dangerous.

T-spoon
07-20-2010, 04:47 PM
I see.. that's kind of an odd setup with the IAT on the original MapECU. I'm guessing that's why they went with a standalone that reports directly to the piggyback for the MapECU2. I think you should ask about that on the MapECU forum and see what they have to say about it.

As far as tuning, I don't have a wideband and I did have it dyno tuned, so it ran off the stock O2 and used the dyno's wideband for the tuning only. There's really nothing fake about the tune you get on a dyno as long as it is done properly. You can pick up a lot of power.. but.. yes.. it's expensive.

BlueDragon
07-21-2010, 09:45 PM
I got it hooked up for auto-learn mode. I had to take my desktop pc out there to put it into auto-learn because my LT broke and everyone I try to borrow from does not have a com port! boooo so for now I will just let it auto-learn I guess.

88st165
07-21-2010, 11:01 PM
Yea I had to buy a usb to serial cable which I paid wayyy to much for but i wanted it that day. It was the one listed on the mapecu forum that was proven to work from radio shack.

T-spoon
07-22-2010, 03:04 AM
Yea I had to buy a usb to serial cable which I paid wayyy to much for but i wanted it that day. It was the one listed on the mapecu forum that was proven to work from radio shack.

Joel (sloceli) has an adapter that was pretty cheap that has worked great on many different computers. I forgot what brand he said it was though..

BlueDragon
07-22-2010, 08:02 PM
Yeah not looking forward to paying out anymore especially for something everyone says does not work well. So I think I will just try to find an old cheap or free LT to use for this.
I got my last one for free but it stopped working before I ever got around to this.
I have looked on the MAP-ECU forum and they suggest if you are hooking the IAT directly to the stock ECU to put it in the Intake. Also more debates on this still ongoing.

Another thing... I hooked up a T-VIS LED while I was messing with all this... I looked all over alltrac.net and here and I couldn't figure out if its a hot or a ground so i hooked it up to the hot side of the LED, but I don't think its working right, it comes on at like 2000 rpm is that normal?

BlueDragon
07-22-2010, 08:02 PM
Yeah not looking forward to paying out anymore especially for something everyone says does not work well. So I think I will just try to find an old cheap or free LT to use for this.
I got my last one for free but it stopped working before I ever got around to this.
I have looked on the MAP-ECU forum and they suggest if you are hooking the IAT directly to the stock ECU to put it in the Intake. Also more debates on this still ongoing.

Another thing... I hooked up a T-VIS LED while I was messing with all this... I looked all over alltrac.net and here and I couldn't figure out if its a hot or a ground so i hooked it up to the hot side of the LED, but I don't think its working right, it comes on at like 2000 rpm is that normal?