PDA

View Full Version : e153 trans swap?

90celicaGTX
07-15-2010, 08:14 PM
so i found a e153 trans with lsd and im goin to pick it up this weekend..
so questions..

so i run 3sgte flywheel and pressure plate
with the e153 disc.

or does the whole e153 flywheel prs plate n disc can be done? and put on to the 3s.

axles. gunna have to be mixed with the inners on e153 and my outter? right..

wut else do i need to know or am missin?
thanks!

btw car info..
90 GT w 93 3sgte and s54 trans in

4thgenceli
07-15-2010, 08:53 PM
You'll just use the 3sgte pressure plate & clutch disc. The e153 was stock with the 3sgte engine, so you can just grab the 3sgte plate & disc and be golden.

Axles, depending on the LSD unit installed, you'll need LSDD or non-LSD inner mr2 stubs, and st185 outer shafts.

Also would need a st185 shift selector (the thing that sits in the transmission that selects the various gears). You may be able to use your's from the s54 trans. You'll also need the other shift components and speed sensor which you can snag off your s54. You'll need a MR2 starter as well, and may have to modify your hard clutch lines just a bit to make the bends to the mr2 clutch slave cylinder.

90celicaGTX
07-15-2010, 10:17 PM
Well wut the guy told me is that is a stock lsd unit. I had talk to some guy that does a lot of toyota work n he said the same for the clutch and for axles. I would need to get them from a 91 v6 camry. It wouls make up the diff in legnth..

Your opinions?

4thgenceli
07-16-2010, 01:40 AM
You don't need Camry axles. They'll work yes, but st185 outers/sw20 inners work as well.

I'm not sure what the 'stock' LSD is. You may need to use the LSD inner stubs and not the non-LSD inner stubs. My transmission, I have a TRD LSD unit in mine. I'm using the non-LSD stubs because it's a TRD unit.

90celicaGTX
07-16-2010, 02:23 AM
Ill try to find out more bout wut lsd unit it is..and the inners from the sw20 would have to be lsd inners. But usin the st185 outer. Will they spline w my hub

4thgenceli
07-16-2010, 02:52 AM
Yes. the st185 will spline with your hub.

90celicaGTX
07-16-2010, 04:42 AM
Ok so I was talkin to this guy more about the trans . Wut is the code for an all trac trans? Well come to find out its an alltrac trans that he is sellin. And has the rear out put pluged w a fittin.. how would this work would it be worth it? Could just run the all trac axles but still I haven't seen anyone here run that set up..

4thgenceli
07-16-2010, 04:52 AM
Don't know about that, but yes an alltrac transmission can be converted to FWD by grabbing some parts off an e153 (mr2) transmission. You can tell quickly by just looking @ teh transmission and seeing where the shift linkage and what holes are present/missing.

Got any pictures?

90celicaGTX
07-16-2010, 05:06 AM
no i wish.. thats wut he said he made it to work for his mr2 but the he ended up goin a different route..

ill ask him to txt me some pics wut should i look for/ ask for?
do u think id be worth the hassle?

goin this route tho i can run just straight alltrac axles w no real mods right?

thanks for your help btw!

90celicaGTX
07-17-2010, 05:37 PM
saving my self the headache and not goin to do this..
i appreciate your help

burnyd
07-17-2010, 08:11 PM
why its a semi easy swap... as long as you have a transmission that is set for fwd.... not the mr2 transmission and I would not recommend the alltrac transmission.

hell I did it when i was 19??? I think with barely any tools in my parents garage, I had a mr2 transmission.

once its converted you will need the following...

Pressureplate / clutch from a Mr2 turbo or alltrac
ST185 Cross member if you are using a 5th gen
I would get all the tranny mounts...
your shifter cables will work fine.
Mr2 turbo Inners with st185 outers(the st185 outers will go to your hub)
I would also recommend getting the carrier bearing bracket.... the one that hangs from the block connecting to the carrier of the axle... the GT one is too small for the St185 outer it goes around.... its a 70 dollar part from toyota, also the snap ring that goes inside of it.

If I was to do a 3s swap to a celica ever again a e153 is a much, the gearing is alot longer, and the tranny its self is very hard to break!!!! S54's are like glass if you like to drive your car hard.

good luck!

Night_Wolf
07-17-2010, 11:44 PM
Find the transmission from a V6 solara, mines from a 2000. Thats what I have in my swap, bolts right up.

90celicaGTX
07-17-2010, 11:54 PM
Find the transmission from a V6 solara, mines from a 2000. Thats what I have in my swap, bolts right up.

wut axles did u use?
and mods u had to do?
and wut clutch set up did u use

Night_Wolf
07-18-2010, 12:27 AM
No mods, used the flywheel, clutch and pressure plate from an mr2 turbo, for axles it was MR2 inners and GT-Four outers

---------- Post added at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 PM ----------

O I'm also using the slave cylinder from a gt-four, not that that really matters

burnyd
07-18-2010, 12:48 AM
It does not *bolt* right up. The shifter assembley/ linkage will work without modification...BUT You will need to modify the mount that is against the fenderwall...... the other two mounts under the car the one under the rad and the one furthest under and behind the car unless you have the st185 cross member then the rear mount will have to be modified.

Edit

Also the carrier barring bracket!!! Need that too!!

I am just trying to save you from the normal..... yah ill budget x amount of dollars then you have to buy twice as much in parts for nickel and dimming purposes!!

Night_Wolf
07-18-2010, 12:56 AM
It does not *bolt* right up.
By *Bolt up* it bolts right up to the block no problem

burnyd
07-18-2010, 01:01 AM
yes bell housing will fit without a problem...... but its the small stuff that is expensive. When I had to get everything to move from the back of my mr2 tranny to the front of it for the linkage :(

4thgenceli
07-18-2010, 01:11 AM
I got everything I needed (excluding axles) for my swap for under $50 total.

Night_Wolf
07-18-2010, 05:55 AM
yes bell housing will fit without a problem...... but its the small stuff that is expensive. When I had to get everything to move from the back of my mr2 tranny to the front of it for the linkage :(

With the Solara trans, you don't have to do any of the PITA linkage swapping.