PDA

View Full Version : Finished building my cat back exhaust

Hookecho
07-15-2010, 02:51 AM
I went to a muffler shop on my beat yesterday and bought 10ft of 2.75in exhaust pipe and a muffler. I decided to against the norm and bought a Flowmaster Muffler. It's a 40 series Delta Flow. The shop owner had one that he ran on his car for a few months and replaced it with a different type. So he sold me the muffler for $35 and the pipe for $45.

I've been working on my exhaust since this morning and finished up around 7pm. It was i bit of a pita but being that i have a welder i figured i could save some money. Once i bought some prebent pieces, couplers, reducers, a flex pipe and a couple clamps i was into the build for about $150.

I must say that the Flowmaster Muffler has the best tone i have ever heard on any 4 cylinder motor. The tone pulses just like it would on a 6 cylinder but a little faster. It's really deep and has that patented wuh, wuh ,wuh, wuh sound that just sounds plain sexy. I have a video that i'll try to upload later.

That being said. i'll never do a cat back myself again. I hated doing it and will pay to have it done next time.

Grot
07-15-2010, 03:54 AM
I planned on going with the flowmaster 40 as well on my 162 whenever i get it running.

i do want video tho.

donteatbugs
07-15-2010, 12:35 PM
i think the 3s sounds good no matter what is on it. even open down pipe is awesome

Nitro_Alltrac
07-15-2010, 02:37 PM
I've never heard a Flowmaster on a 4 cylinder. I've wondered what they would sound like. I love the sound they produce on a V8.

ChrisD
07-15-2010, 06:09 PM
Nice! 2.75 would probably be a good compromise size for loudness and good power.

anyway...

:worthless:

Luni
07-15-2010, 06:39 PM
So how does it feel Bruce? It coupled with gutting that primary cat should have really awakened the demon!

T-spoon
07-15-2010, 06:45 PM
i think the 3s sounds good no matter what is on it. even open down pipe is awesome

Yeah, but boy it's loud!

METDeath
07-16-2010, 03:54 AM
I like my Flowmaster 40 series (2.5"), sounds faster than the car is...

Hookecho
07-16-2010, 05:25 AM
So how does it feel Bruce? It coupled with gutting that primary cat should have really awakened the demon!

It was a big difference for about 10 minutes. Then the small split i had in the TB to TMIC connector became a gapping hole. There was two 1 inch long splits on the end of the connector where it clamps to the intercooler. I knew it was a source of my boost leak but i guess the added flow capabilty from having a non-restrictive exhaust just caused it to blow out. so i ordered a new one this morning.

So once i get the new connector installed i'll be able to drive it harder and see if the larger exhaust fixes the problem i was having with knock/timing retard. I installed the NGK 7092's. I'm hoping you were right about the weenie 1 5/8 probably causing the high engine cylinder temps. Thus causing detonation.

I'll have to make a new video because the one i made had a lot of static.

bzdweezy
02-22-2011, 11:03 PM
Hey Hookecho, did you ever make another video of your exhaust?