PDA

View Full Version : So who here autocrosses?

gt4tified
07-13-2010, 05:47 PM
I have been autocrossing on and off with my GT FOUR for the past three years, not including this year. The car has not been on the road for the year as yet but its not a big deal...it will be soon.

Who else here autocrosses their celica and what specific mods have you done or do you intend on doing to better compete or in my case, just avoid a line of DNF's or whatnot?

I have put on since the last time the car was running:

A completely different engine and gearbox (a built gen2 3sgte but doing some de-tuning specific to the demands of autocross)

A set of Tein SS coilovers...I hope they are worth every cent I spent!

Goodridge brake lines

A RSR front strut bar and a custom rear strut bar. I'm trying to beg one of my friends for his C-ONE trunk bar from his RC that he sold.

I can't wait to test the car out on these new goodies and get the suspension tuned!

Hiko
07-14-2010, 12:55 AM
Sounds like you're car should be a lot of fun when it's back at it!

There are quite a few people here that autox, though I don't know how regularly most do. Joey on here is the resident autox guy, and I've put in more than a few races in my st184. I switched racing duties to my rx7 last year though.

One bit of advice with your suspension setup is to not neglect alignment. I notice you didn't mention anything about it, and it makes a huge difference, even compared to some suspension modifications. (friend of mine still claims alignment did more for the handling of his Jetta than a set of fully custom coilovers, and I believe him)

jsooke
07-14-2010, 02:24 AM
AutoX is quite class oriented. The mods that you are talking about will take you out of stock class and into ST or SP classes, where there are some quick cars. Also, your PAX numbers are negatively affected.

I am changing from AutoX ing the Civic (in SM class due to an engine swap) to the 91 GTS auto. Keeping it within stock class (GS), proper tires, replacing the struts (not sure, Koni or Bilstein); EBC Green stuff front pads and new rotors; making sure everytning is tip top.

By the PAX system my Protege5 (HS -- the lowest class) can easily run at the top of the field after time adjustments. On a wet day it will out perform on a PAX basis any car in our club, which includes Subies. Unfortunately, it is my wife's car and I only get permission a few times a year to run it.

SCCA site and forum is a good source of info.

Jay

KoreanJoey
07-14-2010, 06:43 AM
The protege will get pwned by the SVT Focus, that's the new HS overdog.

The 91 GT would be HS as well, not GS. The 86-93 GT-S is in GS (I'm not really sure why).

Basically the celica is only, possibly competitive in Street Mod (for an AT) or Street Mod Front-Drive (for swapped FWD Celica).

I'm hoping to build my SMF car here in the next year or so and hope that it goes from provisional to a full class.

gt4tified
07-14-2010, 06:08 PM
Hey guys,

Its great to hear the responses thus far. I started this thread because I was certain that there are quite a few ppl on this site who autox their celicas, no matter which model. I've even seen some mr2's rip up a course or two in my time, but those are much more about driver input than our cars.

The reason I did not mention alignment is well, because I thought that was understood really. I am not going into any real expense to do anything about caster, but as far as camber and toe go, the TEIN SS are fully camber adjustable in front and I have camber bolts on the rear.

I live outside the US so we do have our own classification system, but based largely on SCCA rules. In my stock class, I compete with the likes of Spoon Hatch Civics, DC5 Integra Type R's, S2000 hondas, so as most of you guessed, I pretty much get my a$$ handed to me most of the time. So it was then that I said FU$K it and mod the car to be competitive against the high powered evos and sti imprezas etc.

What rim/tyre setup do you all use? I do not have a special set of wheels for autox so I choose my rims and tyres carefully. Currently I have 16" SSR Integral A2 rims (very light: 15lbs) with Dunlop SP3000's (200 threadwear) in front and TOYO T1S Proxes (280 threadwear) in the back. The tyres are 215/40/16 because the rims are only 7" wide.

KoreanJoey
07-15-2010, 02:40 AM
Depending on whether you're in a race tire class or not is where the selection of tires matters.

I run on R-Comps. I run Hoosiers usually but I'm now on a set of Hankook Ventus Z214s. For the hoosiers we run a 295/30R18 on an 18x8 (They're seriously squeezed on there).

The Hankooks are a 275/35R18. I tried the Hankooks for the first time this last weekend and I really liked them. They're somewhere between the Hoosiers and the Kumho V710s as far as stiffness and grip. The hoosiers make better grip but the Kumhos are much stiffer. Seems like a good balance. I'll probably try them out at the next National ProSolo event at the end of the month.

Of course, this is in an HS Toyota Tacoma X-Runner.

gt4tified
07-16-2010, 03:09 PM
KoreanJoey, you had me wondering there until I read your last line! lol

Lemme ask you guys something, on a 7"wide rim such as mine, what is the widest tire that would fit on the rim without having to much of the tire "hanging" off the rim to minimize sidewall flex, say, if I'm using a 40 profile tyre?

BabyBear
07-16-2010, 03:45 PM
I run a 225 on my wheels(17x7) and it works out pretty well. To be honest though, if you aren't at the point that you can't get any faster times out of your car with its current setup due to it being your car as the limitation, I wouldn't go spend tons of money on parts. Making the driver better is the best mod you can do to a car.(IMO)

I'd love to be on R-Comps right now, but I can't justify the cost cause I know my car can go faster than I'm driving it.

The Sage
07-17-2010, 04:55 AM
me and bugs race against each other. him in his gt-s in st and me in my gti vr6 in st

Lenny253
07-17-2010, 06:05 AM
i auto cross with koreanjoey. but i've only just started and i'm getting advice from him.

KoreanJoey
07-18-2010, 05:25 AM
KoreanJoey, you had me wondering there until I read your last line! lol

Lemme ask you guys something, on a 7"wide rim such as mine, what is the widest tire that would fit on the rim without having to much of the tire "hanging" off the rim to minimize sidewall flex, say, if I'm using a 40 profile tyre?

I run a 225 on my wheels(17x7) and it works out pretty well. To be honest though, if you aren't at the point that you can't get any faster times out of your car with its current setup due to it being your car as the limitation, I wouldn't go spend tons of money on parts. Making the driver better is the best mod you can do to a car.(IMO)

I'd love to be on R-Comps right now, but I can't justify the cost cause I know my car can go faster than I'm driving it.

Ya, 225s would work well if you want better response. Personally, I'm ok with turning a little earlier and cramming as much tire as I can under the car, at least in a street touring or higher class where you can modify the suspension. I actually have some 23x9.5R15 bias ply cantilever tires that fit a 7" wheel... Of course, the steering response is less but man, massive lateral grip.