PDA

View Full Version : What should I do with my GT4?

DudeMan
07-11-2010, 11:30 PM
This (http://celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45925) is my project thread.

As some of you know I'm tackling rust on a very large scale.

I'm also sick of it and ready to throw in the towel.

I really feel I don't have the skills to do the body work the level of quality I want and I'm now considering my options.

I don't know how to make a poll so here goes.

1. Finish it. Do the best I can, drive it to the ground or until a better one comes along.

2. Part it out. I'll hold on to my aftermarket goodies and the engine/tranny/LSD/RC bumper etc. but everything else can be sold. Take said money from parts and throw it in savings account, save money all winter and buy a clean/rust free 185 next year.

So what do you guys think?

I'm leaning towards the part out right now, I think it will be more beneficial in the long run.

Really bummed out about this. :(

The Captain
07-12-2010, 12:09 AM
It would almost be easier to find a clean 185.

klapa
07-12-2010, 12:59 AM
It is a matter of what are your standards - and also what is your budget.

For my recently acquired AllTrac - it has the share of rust - on the rear quarters and also front fenders - as well as some on the underbody and I still don't know how much that is.

Yet I paid $2400 for a car that is really sort of rare - and a car I wanted - and while at the end of the day it may end up looking a little rough I think it will "run like a scalded dog" and I'll have plenty of fun with it.

I'd like my car to be "Captain quality" - like it just came off the showroom floor - but it IS very far from being that - though my rust problems are less than yours - particularly with the rocker panel rust in front of the rear wheels - I doubt I'll ever get the rear quarters redone and new front fenders.

Still - if I can get this car to a state that it can run and hold the road just as if it were new - that's my aim and I will enjoy it immensely! I believe I can do that without such great expense - and I will have a source of great fun and adventure! I'll always have my GT coupe to be my "show car" some day.

You could do that too with what you have. If you want an ST185 that you can make nearly perfect - then I think you will need a big wallet to do it.

If you do decide to part yours out - please do it here - I will be like a buzzard on a tree limb.

DudeMan
07-12-2010, 05:44 PM
I never really planned on having it look immaculate, just decent. No gaping holes or faded paint kinda thing.

My parents want the garage back by October so having a deadline doesn't help.

I just think it will look like shit in the end and I won't be happy with it.

lol, I guess one option would be to leave it stripped, slap panels on and paint a #3 on both doors.

Rat-rod Celica anyone?

T-spoon
07-12-2010, 07:52 PM
lol, I guess one option would be to leave it stripped, slap panels on and paint a #3 on both doors.

Rat-rod Celica anyone?

I hear rumors these cars make good racers of some kind.. something about dirt and trees and mud.. sounds cool :hehe:

klapa
07-13-2010, 12:27 AM
Also - a body kit - while not the best option aesthetically - would serve to hid that rust - especially rocker panels.

Yep - losing access to the garage would be a blow.

I don't know what you paid for it - but generally as near as I can tell Alltracs with rust-free bodies trade for better than 8K - and that might even be without engine/trans!.

Me - I'd love to "pretty" mine up - but first I want to make a DRIVER out of it - because that IS the true strength of the Alltrac - the power - and the handling. Along the way even a rusted 5th gen can be made to look good - as the body lines are so sexy to start with many will miss a few belmishes.

Siyx
07-13-2010, 02:54 PM
You for got option #3 - Give it to me.
:D

geebes
07-13-2010, 03:03 PM
Just rock it till the wheels fall off. Or you could always rally that bish and get another GTfour since they are so easy to get up there.:canada:

vip09
07-13-2010, 04:13 PM
Oh my gawd.. I know how much work I put into my Alltrac and yours is FAR worse looking than my rust problem. I don't know what to tell you, but I wish you luck sir.

sodap0p
07-13-2010, 05:09 PM
Sell it, buy my smashed RC and fix it :) no rust on the RC

DudeMan
07-13-2010, 05:15 PM
How much?

sodap0p
07-13-2010, 05:29 PM
I was hoping for at least $3000, but I need to make space, I'd sell it for what I was going to sell it to the Cali guy for $2500. That includes the left door and left front quarter panels too(and they are already black). The left rear quarter and B-pillar are the only concerns.

ChrisD
07-13-2010, 05:33 PM
Taking the numbers appraoch, lets throw some rough #s out there...

You could sell for what, maybe $3k? (if you repaired and "did the minimum" just enough to get road worthy) How much would that cost you to fix?

And if you fixed it up *nicely*, bring the value to maybe $5k? At what cost? And, could you get it to as good or better than a JDM imported car with ~100,000 km's?

How much could you make parting out? $2k? Maybe more if you get rid of the "goodies"?

A good solid 185 JDM would go for maybe $5k?

So I'm going to say probably fixing the minimum and parting out will be the same amount of work. BUT, you have a deadline. So lets say that you can't do it "nicely" in that time frame.

Financially, it looks like almost a wash between parting, and fixing then selling.

Soooo....

My heart says keep the car alive. It's a GT4. With that said, I just parted one out that would have been easier to fix than yours.

My gut says part it out. Everything. Goodies, engine bits, everything. Then find a good, clean, JDM 185 and rock that. No worries about rust. Lower mileage engine should run for a long time if taken care of. Possibly a cleaner interior. Body would probably look better in the end.

:(

I think that's what I'd do.

ChrisD
07-13-2010, 05:37 PM
^^or buy Steve's RC and fix that!!! Definitely fixable by your deadline. :D And part out the red one/use it for donor parts.

DudeMan
07-13-2010, 05:43 PM
Very interested.

Is the frame straight?

Do you have any pics?

My email is chasegjenkinson@hotmail.com.

sodap0p
07-13-2010, 06:07 PM
I dont know if the frame got bent or not, I dont think its bent, I drove the car home after the accident and it drove straight.

It's easier to view the photos here:

http://s508.photobucket.com/albums/s327/Dragoinflies/GT4%20Accident%20photos/

http://s508.photobucket.com/albums/s327/Dragoinflies/GT4%20parts%202/

DudeMan
07-13-2010, 06:23 PM
Open to offers?

Ill have to get a trailer and haul it back to Edmonton.

Hoods still good? Its just the fender, door, b pillar and rear quarter that are damaged.

sodap0p
07-13-2010, 06:31 PM
no , sorry $2500 is the final price I would be willing to let it go for. Hood is undamaged.

"Hoods still good? Its just the fender, door, b pillar and rear quarter that are damaged"
yeah, and the rocker guard is toast too. Hood is undamaged.

DudeMan
07-13-2010, 06:58 PM
I'm considering it, I would much rather restore your RC than my rust bucket.

The only issues are the frame is possibly bent, which is no easy fix, and arranging a trailer etc.

When are you available for me to come take a look?

sodap0p
07-13-2010, 07:07 PM
This week is good, I have Friday afternoon off if that works, I'm going on holidays next week, then back for two weeks, then back on holidays. I've set September 1st as the deadline for selling the whole car, after that day I will tow it to my buddies shop and begin removing parts and selling them giving dibs to the people on the list. The RC cannot sit in my garage past September 1st

DudeMan
07-13-2010, 07:34 PM
Ill try to work everything out this week and get out there on friday or the weekend.

My cell is 780-919-1989.

Ill let you know.

sodap0p
07-13-2010, 07:37 PM
kk, mine is 403-689-9979

DudeMan
07-13-2010, 08:30 PM
Hey one more thing.

Why is the car not drivable? Is it just cause the tire is blown out or insurance reasons?

It would make things easier if I could just limp it home to Edmonton.

Hey one more thing.

Why is the car not drivable? Is it just cause the tire is blown out or insurance reasons?

It would make things easier if I could just limp it home to Edmonton.

sodap0p
07-13-2010, 08:42 PM
No, those tires I sold them, they were shit in the rain anyways(cause of my accident). They have bald Falkens that were on my ST184 on it now, but they are all full of air.

Max (a friend of mine in Calgary with a RC) came and bought some parts from the car before I was contacted regarding a whole car sale. The parts he has taken are: Front/right tie rod end, 4 tires(good amount of tread but they sucked ass), hatch shocks(the shit that holds up the trunk)

and the K&N air filter (in the oem box)

I have a new GenII Apexi Intake I bought for my MR2 but doesnt fit, maybe we can do something with it. Its NIB, I paid 150USD plus shipping, but I'd take 150CAD if interested.

Everything else is still there.

DudeMan
07-13-2010, 08:47 PM
That's fine, I actually have all those parts on my car ready to go.

I'm just wondering if it would make the 3 hour trip to Edmonton.

sodap0p
07-13-2010, 08:53 PM
I dont know how much you prefer Celica over Supra, but If it were me, I wouldnt bother with my Celica, I would get this Supra :)

I know, Im not a great salesman selling OPP. ;)

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-1994-Toyota-Supra-Right-Hand-Drive-Coupe-2-door-W0QQAdIdZ217199814

I drove it daily before the accident and ran perfectly. I dont think anything mechanical has gone bad. I drove it home from the accident, but it was only a block away from my home.

I wish I had a flat-bed trailer or a toy-hauler to tow my cars, I've been wanting one for some time.

DudeMan
07-13-2010, 08:57 PM
Is the car written off? Or a salvage title or whatever?

Cause if I can insure it and maybe slap on new end links and such I could just drive it home, way easier for me.

ChrisD
07-13-2010, 08:58 PM
non-turbo auto = no fun imho :hehe: Also high miles...

sodap0p
07-13-2010, 09:19 PM
Is the car written off? Or a salvage title or whatever?

Cause if I can insure it and maybe slap on new end links and such I could just drive it home, way easier for me.

No, I didnt have collision coverage, so my insurance company was only aware of an accident, they dont have the registration, its still in my name and is still registered in Alberta(you wont need an out-of-province inspection).

the title is also clear of all leans and such.

non-turbo auto = no fun imho :hehe: Also high miles...

drop in a 2JZ-GTE w/ 6speed :)

I have a goal, and I call it Twin Turbo.

sodap0p
07-13-2010, 10:18 PM
The door doesnt latch( but does jamb shut, we could tie it shut no problem), and doesnt have a window(we could cover with plastic). The tires are ok for dry weather, but suck in wet weather. That would be my only concerns driving it between Calgary and Edmonton.

matteo80
07-13-2010, 10:25 PM
You shouldn't part it out or sell it, looks like you have put so much work into it that to throw in the towel now would be something you might regret later. Can you not replace many of the panels and fenders with GT-S one? I know things are slightly different, but are the rocker panels and fenders not interchangeable? In the scrap yards round here there's always at least 5 or 6 5th gens when ever I make a visit, never any rust on anything in SoCal. May be worth making a trip to a sunnier climate to source parts?

DudeMan
07-13-2010, 11:16 PM
That's funny, I was just wondering about the door and any broken windows, good thinking.

I actually have a set of stock rims wrapped in brand new summer tires... That I conveniently bought right before parking my car.

You said you had a door right? I wonder if I could just install it really quick at your place, I could bring my own tools.

Just got home so I'm going over the pics a little more.

In the second album it looks like quite a few parts have been stripped off already, or are they just spares or something?

sodap0p
07-13-2010, 11:27 PM
It would be easy to install, I have all the tools we would need. I have the headlights, most of the interior, and some other stuff taken apart, but I can have them all put back together if you wanted. I started to tear the car down when I was contacted by the Cali guy. I left it at that point at his request so the RC "looked" like a parts car going across the border.

In the second album it looks like quite a few parts have been stripped off already, or are they just spares or something?

yeah. I had most of the interior out when I was contacted about buying the whole car. Right now, she is loaded with some crap my dad was storing in my boat while I had it in storage, summer cushions and shit, easily removed. I can take some recent photos...

I hate the rain...I just wanted to add that :)

DudeMan
07-13-2010, 11:30 PM
Sounds good.

I wouldn't want you to go through the trouble of reinstalling everything if I decide not to buy it, cant make any promises until I actually see the car of course.

How about you leave everything as it is and if the deal goes through me and you throw it back together real quick?

The headlights only take a few minutes and the interior is pretty easy to button up.

sodap0p
07-13-2010, 11:41 PM
I wont secure the interior unless you want me to, just kinda put most of the panels in their place for convenience. It would be easy to remove again to paint her properly.

Sounds good.

I wouldn't want you to go through the trouble of reinstalling everything if I decide not to buy it, cant make any promises until I actually see the car of course.

How about you leave everything as it is and if the deal goes through me and you throw it back together real quick?

The headlights only take a few minutes and the interior is pretty easy to button up.

yeah, sounds like a plan :)

come up Friday so you can come to RaceCity with us Friday night. We should be getting together depending on other peoples schedules.

klapa
07-14-2010, 01:12 AM
Sounds like a plan waiting to happen!

Good luck DudeMan - I'm jealous of all you Canadian's that seem to have such "cheap" access to fresh Alltracs!

DudeMan
07-14-2010, 01:27 AM
come up Friday so you can come to RaceCity with us Friday night. We should be getting together depending on other peoples schedules.

Shit, the only problem is I need someone to drive me there or can drive a standard and take my truck back. Might be hard to find someone willing on such short notice so it will probly have to wait until Saturday.

Otherwise I'd love to, I could even bring my girlfriend since she has the day off.

I'll let you know if I can arrange something.

Sounds like a plan waiting to happen!

Good luck DudeMan - I'm jealous of all you Canadian's that seem to have such "cheap" access to fresh Alltracs!

Thanks! My main concern is unibody distortion.

Our import laws and a much smaller population make it a little easier. :canada2:

DudeMan
07-14-2010, 08:17 PM
My gut says part it out. Everything. Goodies, engine bits, everything. Then find a good, clean, JDM 185 and rock that. No worries about rust. Lower mileage engine should run for a long time if taken care of. Possibly a cleaner interior. Body would probably look better in the end.

:(

I think that's what I'd do.

I think that's what I will do. :(

Even if I don't get soda's RC I'm pretty sure ill be parting this car out.

When I get home today I'm gonna start going through all my parts.

The engine, any aftermarket stuff and a few other things will be staying with me.

klapa
07-15-2010, 12:09 AM
Of course I would hate to see you part that out man but. . . .

I want the seats! I got dibs on the power lumbar seat bottoms!

Does it have system 10 door panels??

DudeMan
07-15-2010, 03:23 AM
Yes, car is fully loaded, including System 10.

Are you looking for all the seats?

Your pretty far, shipping will be expensive. You have dibs on them though.

Anyone else interested in parts please check out the part out section for my thread.

klapa
07-15-2010, 04:21 AM
Yea DudeMan - I've been through the shipping stuff before trying to get a set from either SodaOp or one of his Canadian friends - it is EXPENSIVE.

But I have since found out that in fact - I don't really need "all" the seat - I only need the seat bottoms.

I want these for my GT - as this car is my "luxury road cruiser" - and I already have all the relays and controls in my Alltrac - which has had those seats removed and replaced with RC seats before I bought it.

I am missing some system 10 stuff in the Alltrac too.....

So - this might be a perfect plan coming together! Well - except for the fact that I lament your loosing your GT-4 - I now you loved it....