PDA

View Full Version : Timing belt replacement quote

Nitro_Alltrac
07-09-2010, 03:36 AM
I'm at the mileage where I need to replace the timing belt. I don't have any place to do it so I checked with the garage up the street. I've got the belt and the new pump. Granted, they were going to replace all the seals, install the belt and water and replace coolant. The quote? $965! A tad bit high in my opinion. Probably about double. I'm checking some other places tomorrow.

KM
07-09-2010, 04:14 AM
My shop software says a 92 Alltrac timing belt is 4.3 hours.
At $85/hr (average local price), that's $365.50.

Water pump replacement is 5 hours, which is most likely what you'll be heading at.
For comparison, the ST books 2.8 hours and the GT/GTS books 3.5

I believe they are charging you for water pump replacement AND timing belt change, instead of just pump replacement (which includes timing belt change.)

AznKlique
07-09-2010, 05:02 AM
I got mine changed at the dealer. The cost was around 300. I used a 10% coupon with it.

andy
07-09-2010, 05:03 AM
make sure they know there gonna have to remove the timing belt anyway to get at that pump, thats the only labor they should be charging you for.

donteatbugs
07-09-2010, 11:42 AM
ill do it for 150$. you have to bring me the car and supply all parts from toyota though.

Nitro_Alltrac
07-09-2010, 06:48 PM
Thanks Bugs but I think the gas might into the savings.

I stopped at another shop on the way home. It's a small 2 bay shop run by this guy and his sons. Looked pretty decent. He'll do it for $200 for labor. Needless to say I'm going with him.

My shop back in WV quoted me about $285 to do the belt. I knew that $900+ was out of the ball park.

I'm dropping it off Monday. I'll let you know how it goes.

donteatbugs
07-09-2010, 06:51 PM
they are gonna kick themselves on that labor, its no easy job while the motor is in the car. there are a few modifications that can be done to make it easier the next time though.

Nitro_Alltrac
07-09-2010, 06:55 PM
It's a Mexican garage. He looked everything up in his labor guide and priced it out. When he gave me the price I jumped right on it. I guess I'll see how it comes out.

joe's gt
07-09-2010, 07:07 PM
they are gonna kick themselves on that labor, its no easy job while the motor is in the car. there are a few modifications that can be done to make it easier the next time though.

Exactly what I was thinking. I did the timing belt tensioner stud mod. If the shop has never done a timing belt on a 'trac, there's going to be a lot of cussing going on.

Nitro_Alltrac
07-09-2010, 07:47 PM
I've got the stud kit and will be taking that to them as well. I had looked at doing it myself several times before I left WV but never got the courage up to do it. I changed the belt on a 96 Monte Carlo I had years ago with the 3.4 quad cam engine. That was an absolute bitch and it had a little more room than the Celica. I'll gladly pay someone to do it.

donteatbugs
07-12-2010, 07:27 PM
i actually dont like the studs on the alltrac, i prefer the bolts. the mr2 is a different story though, studs all the way.

4thgenceli
07-12-2010, 07:37 PM
Would someone mind explaining the stud thing to me?

My brother & I charge $150 for a pump/timing replacement (plus parts). We get it done in less than an hour typically.

Grot
07-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Your tensioner is held to the block with a bolt.

You tkae the bolt out, the tensioner comes off.

With the stud there is a stud on the block for the tensioner to slide onto and then is secured via a nut on the end of the stud.

Thats how i understand it atleast.

Nitro_Alltrac
07-13-2010, 03:23 PM
You are correct Aaron!

I should get it back today. The new Asin water pump that I bought off line had been pilfered for the gasket and a bolt. I'm going to contact the seller about that.

I let you guys know how it went later today.

joe's gt
07-13-2010, 06:20 PM
Would someone mind explaining the stud thing to me?

My brother & I charge $150 for a pump/timing replacement (plus parts). We get it done in less than an hour typically.

There's no way you get it done on a 3sgte in less than an hour with engine in car. Removing power steering belt, right engine mount and bracket, both timing covers then the crank pulley, then putting all that back together with about about 3-4" of room to work with between the engine and side of the engine bay. Just not gonna happen.

Unless the engine bay on a GT is smaller than the alltrac for some reason.

As for the stud thing, for me its always an enormous pain to get those two hydraulic tensioner bolts back in their holes. Studs worked out a lot better where I could just push the idler pulley bracket to the side and slip the tensioner on the studs.

Terracar
07-13-2010, 06:48 PM
IIRC the water pump doesn't come with the gasket nor does it come with bolts. I hope you aren't talking about the philips screw that holds the pump and T-stat housing together - that is part of the horrible horrible deisgn.

-Terracar

Nitro_Alltrac
07-14-2010, 02:58 AM
Picked the car up this morning. They did a good job. The man that owns the shop kept all of the old parts to show me. He said the belt had been changed before but the water pump and thermostat were original. I think the pump as starting to go as I had developed a squeak in that area when I first started the car up. That appears to be gone now. All that for $228. I'm pleased with it. I looked under the hood when I got home and everything was put back like it should be. They didn't jack anything up.

I went back out later this afternoon to look at something else and it looks like the damn hood release cable has broken. The hood won't open now. That happened after I got it home. I'm going to look at it tomorrow and make sure before I order a cable. It's always something.:wedgie: