PDA

View Full Version : I need help with importing ST205

gt4st205
07-01-2010, 03:05 PM
So i have been reading for the past two hours, on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's site and the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's sites. And on this page http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/elig123109.pdf, in section VSA-80, section (b) it says i can do it. at least im pretty sure. Does anyone know anything different? Can anyone find anything that states it more clearly?

I have nearly three years left in japan, and the car is a 1996 Celica GT-Four. just incase that helps with the finding/information.

ChrisD
07-01-2010, 03:20 PM
Import to Canada = Yes. Import to USA = No. Many, many have asked. The only successes either took lots of money, lots of time, or illegal methods. Essentially it needs to be 25 years old because it's not on the grey market cars list. In Canada, our date is 15 years which is why we can get them.

METDeath
07-01-2010, 04:53 PM
The trick would be getting Toyota to say it would meet all the US guidelines for the time of it's manufacture.

Johnny
07-01-2010, 05:02 PM
The trick would be getting Toyota to say it would meet all the US guidelines for the time of it's manufacture.

I wonder if you could get a dealer to say that...?

Grot
07-01-2010, 05:08 PM
Since he lives in Japan in the US armed forces, i believe he actually may be able to bring it back when he comes home.

Im not sure about any exceptions, but you may have a chance

Johnny
07-01-2010, 05:31 PM
so hes coming to the us i wasnt sure since the pdf file was about canada yeah im sure that being in the armed forces would help at least maybe save on shipping :D

gt4st205
07-02-2010, 03:31 AM
So nobody knows of any way that i would be able to get it back to the states then?

Grot
07-02-2010, 03:49 AM
Your gt4 has a non normal spoiler. Ask around at your base someone may know something.

Johnny
07-02-2010, 09:16 AM
Your gt4 has a non normal spoiler. Ask around at your base someone may know something.

probably a 96 an above model

4thgenceli
07-02-2010, 09:28 AM
I vaguely recall my brother saying (Army) that he was able to bring his car from Germany back to the states without an issue. It would of been legally imported & all that shit. They would of tucked it aboard the big ass carrier plane and he'd pick it up once stateside (and it was <25 years old as well).

ChrisD
07-02-2010, 04:30 PM
There is a member here, username maxaud. I believe he imported a GT4RC into the states, RHD, and is military. I think there may be some exceptions for you guys. Give him a shout.

MarcP
07-02-2010, 10:21 PM
Not sure if it's the same in Japan as it is in Germany, however there must be some sort of Support Unit or something where you can ask these types of questions. I used to live in Germany (dad was in the forces) and I know there are alot of my American friends who did bring back their Mercedes/BMW's back to the states, and they were all euro specs.

Best way to find out 100% would be to ask someone on base, again, either through your superiors or some sort of support unit. Good luck, ass end of your car looks clean, lol.

klapa
07-03-2010, 11:58 PM
Having been in the service myself - I would certainly think that you could get it back here through your branch of service - the main question would be could you get it registered in the state you will live in.

If that state is California - I highly doubt it.

If it would be another state - you have a chance.

The main thing to do to get it back here in the first place might be to "NOT ASK QUESTIONS"! Don't make out like there is anything wrong to start with - just file the normal papers with your unit to have the thing shipped back - after all - this is military - the customs people will be much less involved than they would if you were civilian - and the thing will be transported via military carrier no doubt.

Mr E
07-05-2010, 10:39 AM

Looks like a standard JDM facelift to me.