PDA

View Full Version : 1992 celica GT brakes

Irish Lover
06-30-2010, 02:58 PM
Ok, I have a 92 GT with the disk brakes in rear. They are shot. So rusted that i need to replace everything. I was wondering if there are any other makes and models of Toyota that would be an upgrade for what I already have. Since I have to replace it all I would like to get what would be best. Im not racing it but i do like to go about 90 on the turn pike lol... Just wondering if I should go a diffrent way with it. Thank you......

brak
07-02-2010, 09:51 PM
I recently ordered discs and pads from rotorworks.

They came reccomended by a bunch of people on this board, and are custom made to your specs (drilled, slotted, etc).

Price was comparable with most aftermarket rotors

can't comment on performance, as i haven't installed mine yet. after my car was stolen, and beat up, i havent decided if i'm gonna fix it back up or scrap it.

jsooke
07-03-2010, 03:37 AM
To be honest, the back brakes do not stop you, the front ones do most of the work.

I have found the brakes on the Celica are good. Get good pads (Hawk, EBC) for the front and new rotors all around; rebuilt calipers if they are rotten. You do not need cross drilled rotors for what you are doing, or any other race parts ... race pads and rotors are built to deal with heat, driving on the highway will not generate the heat needed to operate at their best. I am using regular pads all around, had over heating (smoking), but no fade after 20 laps or so; cut off the dust pads and now no smoke from pads.

So, for the back: replace pads, rotors and if necessary calipers. Remember there are also shoes inside for the e-brake.

Jay

Irish Lover
07-03-2010, 03:48 PM
brak sorry to hear about your ride. That sucks. jsooka thanks for the info. it always helps when people are nice enogh to help out. These breaks where so bad the emergency pads just fell out and the back rotors both sides where rusted to hubs etc. a real mess. I replaced the fronts last month completely. all oem but pads. I found a 92 gt in the pull apart salvage yesterday with all new breaks in the rear including the emergency on the inside so i snagged them. thank you both.