PDA

View Full Version : The swap is complete!

Hookecho
06-25-2010, 04:20 AM
i have toiled over getting the auto trans to work right for 3 weeks and i finally gave up. i think the auto ecu was having problems reading the speed sensor and it wouldn't shift out of 1st gear. instead i decided to build a switching station to operate the solenoids manually. i went to radio shack and bought some push button switches and i now shift the car using 2 switches to up shift and down shift. pretty much like having paddle shifters, but a little different. i have a failsafe so i can't down shift into 1st or 2nd at high speeds. i mounted the switches buy the parking brake for now. i'm going to mount them to the steering wheel as soon as i get some more time next week. one switch on each side to be thumb operated. the wires will be run through the steering column and coiled.

i was excited to finally get to drive the car. the 3sgte is so much fun and the transmission shifts flawlessly. it's pretty fun shifting it manually when i don't have to take my foot of the gas.

i still have to hook up the hks electronic boost controller but that's about it other than getting some tires for my other set of rims.

i gave it a bath but i still need to vacuum it out.

here are some night pics. the hood is popped if you get to wondering.

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/4/1/4/3/celica_front_hood_popped.jpg

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/4/1/4/3/celica_front_use.jpg

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/4/1/4/3/celica1_505169.jpg

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/4/1/4/3/hood_scoop.jpg

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/4/1/4/3/celica_side_guage.jpg

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/4/1/4/3/dash1.jpg

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/4/1/4/3/engine_bay1.jpg

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/4/1/4/3/engine_bay2.jpg

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/4/1/4/3/shifter2.jpg

METDeath
06-25-2010, 05:06 AM
Nice, it'll be interesting to see if the transmission lasts.

joe's gt
06-25-2010, 06:12 AM
Looks awesome Hook! Get rid of that top mount ASAP tho. That top mount kills what can be an awesome engine.

Grot
06-25-2010, 06:35 AM
That is awesome! How quick is the response from the transmission? If it holds up this sort or setup could become popular.

CriScO
06-25-2010, 09:21 AM
Lol, that's one way to fix it! Win!

Hookecho
06-25-2010, 11:38 AM
Looks awesome Hook! Get rid of that top mount ASAP tho. That top mount kills what can be an awesome engine.

yeah, after tires the top mount is getting replaced so i can to crank the boost. well, i also need to upgrade the exhaust system. i'm running my old 2'' right now. i'll likely do that first.

Hookecho
06-25-2010, 12:22 PM
That is awesome! How quick is the response from the transmission? If it holds up this sort or setup could become popular.

the acceleration is quick. only time will tell whether or not it holds up. the trans was rebuilt about 5,500 miles ago. here is a look at the gear ratio comparison.

A241E 5sfe Auto
Gear Ratio
stall is 2.1:1
1st 3.643
2nd 2.008
3rd 1.296
4th (OD) 0.892
Reverse 2.977
Differential Gear Ratio 3.034

S53 Manual Transmission
1st 3.285
2nd 2.041
3rd 1.322
4th 1.028
5th 0.820
reverse 3.153
API GL–3, GL–4 or GL–5
Differential Gear Ratio 3.944

S54 Manual Transmission
1st 3.285
2nd 1.960
3rd 1.322
4th 1.028
5th 0.820,

The Captain
06-25-2010, 12:58 PM
Congrats!

MCcelica
06-25-2010, 01:42 PM
There's more than one way to skin a cat. And that was not one that I'd thought of before. Which is freaken awesome. Move to custom design/fab?

Legacyofdan
06-25-2010, 02:26 PM
now to design those shift buttons into shift paddles right beside the steering wheel, very epic dude, i like it alot!

J/W are you planning on using that SAFC with your 3SGT motor?

Hookecho
06-25-2010, 03:10 PM
i'm not using the safc right now. it was hooked up to my old 5sfe ecu. if i wire it up it will be just for monitoring and cool points. i'm not going to use it to adjust fuel.

Legacyofdan
06-25-2010, 03:22 PM
Just making sure :)

Hookecho
06-25-2010, 03:30 PM
There's more than one way to skin a cat. And that was not one that I'd thought of before. Which is freaken awesome. Move to custom design/fab?

i'm going to do a full write up on the push button shift after i get it installed on the steering wheel. i have to go to radio shack and get some circuitry. i want the lock up converter to automatically engage when i shift into 4th gear and disengage when i down shift or brake. pretty much i'll have it to where the lock up solenoid engages when it reads 0v from the shift switch station(both solenoids are off in 4th gear) and disengages any time it gets a 12v reading from the switch box or brake light.

when people see the buttons on the steering wheel they'll assume i have the NOZ, but really i'm shifting gears.

Hookecho
06-25-2010, 03:32 PM
Just making sure :)

good lookin out:biggthumpup:

METDeath
06-26-2010, 06:17 AM
Oh oh! Get a 7th gen GTS wheel from an auto car and have factory paddle shifters.

MCcelica
06-26-2010, 06:37 AM
Ooohhhhh... That's a good idea from Marshall. I think the MRS has those wheels too. In theory it could work. In application... I volunteer Bruce to find out. :D

Nitro_Alltrac
06-26-2010, 02:19 PM
Congratz! Great solution to the problem. I'm curious as to how the tranny is going to hold up behind the 3SGTE. A lot of the Caldinas with the 4gen 3S had autos.

ChrisD
06-26-2010, 02:44 PM
Congrats! Now that's thinking out of the box for sure. You are definitely one of the few to survive the swap with your Auto trans...except you've now made it a manual. haha. If you wanted other ideas on the shifter, talk to Conrad. A while back he was working on sequential shifters for his manual trans...

I still think you could get the trans working like normal if you wanted. Worst case would be wiring in the 5sfe ECU like stock via a set of T connections for damn near everything.

Really awesome to see it complete!!

Hookecho
06-27-2010, 05:24 AM
i pretty much had the 5sfe ecu completely wired. i had everything the schematics showed was needed to run the auto trans. maybe it was something i overlooked or the two ecu's not wanting to work together. i'm sure i'll end up trying to make something work. i could use a standalone.

Hookecho
06-27-2010, 05:27 AM
Oh oh! Get a 7th gen GTS wheel from an auto car and have factory paddle shifters.

what! i didn't even know the 7th gen had that option. i'll have to look into that because that would be cool. if not i'll just use my setup.

Luckynumber5
06-27-2010, 07:52 PM
you know, I bet a v6 automatic would take the punishment just fine. IPT makes shift kits for both. Any plans for a higher stall converter?

mar_phi6
06-27-2010, 11:52 PM
are you the first to do this kind of swap? that auto

METDeath
06-28-2010, 12:27 AM
As far as I know he's the first to get it running, but he also started with a VERY fresh transmission. We'll have to wait and see if it can take the punishment. I have a strong suspicion that an auto from a V6 Camry/Solara would work as well, it would just need the same axles as the E153 conversion (MR2/All-trac hybrid axles).

Murgatroy
06-28-2010, 03:25 AM
No, there have been other 3SGTE autos.

The most prominent I can think of was a kid in California I believe, who showed his often. he used to post frequently.

Hookecho
06-28-2010, 05:01 AM
i have yet to find any real documentation of anyone else mating the 5sfe auto to the 3sgte. i have actually seen a 5sfte auto camry though.

rizin
06-28-2010, 05:59 AM
The thing sounds like fun for a auto now. A auto I might like to drive.

I am thinking you have a ECT auto. I am betting it is easier with a regular hydralic trans. I don't know anything about the ECT trans. This pdf ( http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h16.pdf ) from reding the ecu also needs a TPS reading but you can't just splice it or you might not get the correct OHM reading to both ecus. Also having the performance and norm switch wired up.

Thought I might throw that in there if you want to get it back to stock.

Edit: The more I read the PDF the more I like your push button decsion.

CriScO
06-28-2010, 01:06 PM
I am thinking you have a ECT auto. I am betting it is easier with a regular hydralic trans.
I've been kicking that idea around for a long time, because I'd love to make the hatchback a consistent drag car. Problem is, about the only hydraulically controlled auto that will bolt up is the A140l. The a140 is pretty much composed of shit and fail.

Don't get me wrong, I've been holding my a140 together with large amounts of Lucas for years, and it keeps going. But you can feel it in the way it shifts. It'd last about two gear changes under boost.

I have considered getting a FWD Caldina tranny and seeing if that could work, but that's a long way off.

METDeath
06-29-2010, 12:21 AM
Could also get a 3S-GE auto trans, that may be different, and a bit tougher than the 5S-FE trans... then again, it could be the same trans for both.

donteatbugs
06-29-2010, 04:45 AM
sweet, get that boost controller hooked up and up to 13

CriScO
06-29-2010, 06:23 AM
Could also get a 3S-GE auto trans, that may be different, and a bit tougher than the 5S-FE trans... then again, it could be the same trans for both.
Don't know about any newer 3S-GE's, but the original used the A140e. Basically the 3S-FE's got the hydraulically controlled A140l, and the 3S-GE's got the ECT. Same basic unit though.

Hookecho
06-29-2010, 09:16 PM
The thing sounds like fun for a auto now. A auto I might like to drive.

I am thinking you have a ECT auto. I am betting it is easier with a regular hydralic trans. I don't know anything about the ECT trans. This pdf ( http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h16.pdf ) from reding the ecu also needs a TPS reading but you can't just splice it or you might not get the correct OHM reading to both ecus. Also having the performance and norm switch wired up.

Thought I might throw that in there if you want to get it back to stock.

Edit: The more I read the PDF the more I like your push button decsion.

i had the tps wires spliced to the 5s ecu from the 3s ecu. the voltage signals were good at closed and open throttle on the 5s harness. the ect switch wouldn't have to be wired in order for the trans to upshift.

i just unhooked the 5sfe ecu and put it up for now. i don't need it to shift the trans anyway. i am however getting a speed sensor code from the 3s ecu. so that confirms that i was having a speed sensor problem that was keeping the auto ecu from sending the signals to the solenoids. i'll likely replace the vss that sends the signal to the combination meter. that should fix the shifting problem if i wanted to hook the auto ecu back up.

right now it's more fun to button shift. when i do hook the ecu back up i'll have it where i can select between manual and auto shifting.

Hookecho
07-01-2010, 02:59 AM
i installed my electronic boost controller a while ago. the process requires the tvsv to be disabled. before the tvsv was disabled i was peaking at 9psi. now i am peaking and holding at 13psi and i don't even have the boost controller turned on.

the good part is i hit 13psi in all gears now and the car is much faster. so i won't even have to utilize the boost controller right now. i didn't even try to increase boost pressure.

Shadowlife25
07-01-2010, 04:05 AM
Bruce, see my post on the AVCR and retaining the factory safeties.
Joel explained and did a diagram with using the OEM Toyota relay.
I did the same but using a BOSCH relay.

You want this safety.

13psi is the absolute limit of the ecu pressure. (Mine cuts at exactly 13.1psi)
And by disabling what you have, it bypassed ANY knock protection.

I would hate to see all your hard work get ruined bro.

Shadowlife25
07-01-2010, 06:56 AM
thats hot

Consider this your one and only warning:

More spam posts like this, ONE more, and you are getting perma-banned.

I truly hope you understand exactly what I mean here. Because I am entirely serious.

Hookecho
07-01-2010, 01:35 PM
i would have used the image you made Mario but i can't access it.

question. which relay am i supposed to tying into. also, which wires are those going from the ebc and solenoid into the relay.

i already have the leds for the knock detection mod so that part i understand.

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/9/0/SAFEBOOST.JPG

Hookecho
07-01-2010, 01:35 PM
double posted.....again.....go figure.

sloceli
07-01-2010, 04:09 PM
Bruce, the relay is a standalone relay any 4 post one will work. The wires going to the solenoid are the two wires from the EBC. All this is doing is taking the cutting the power to the solenoid when the ecu deems it not safe to boost.

Hookecho
07-01-2010, 06:03 PM
oh ok. thanks.

acidice333
07-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Hurray for 3SGTE Auto Power!

Question.... what is your fail-safe so you can't downshift into 1st/2nd at highspeeds you mention?

I was gonna attempt to Auto my swap up but I didn't but I was gonna do it properly by making a transmission controller that had computer controlled safeys, being able to toggle between automatic and semi-automatic, etc..