PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to Celica - Valve Cover Gasket Question

roccoand
06-24-2010, 10:13 PM
I'm trying to replace the valve cover gasket as my car kept losing oil and it was all over the back of the engine.

Question- I've replaced valve cover gaskets before but I don't see how to get this one off.

I took off the 4 nuts that go around the spark plug holes but the thing wouldn't budge. I didn't want to break anything so I just tightened them back up. It loses less oil now too so I'm pretty sure that is the culprit.

Did I miss something or should I just pry it off?

Also, when I do put it on, should I use that sealer stuff or is the rubber enough?

Thanks!

ChrisD
06-24-2010, 10:28 PM
Depends on the engine, however there should certainly be more than that. I believe from the factory the valve cover bolts were phillips head style. Look around the outside edge of the valve cover. Should be a 3-4 on each side as well as a couple near the spark plug holes.

93celicaconv
06-24-2010, 11:25 PM
Assuming you have the 2.0L 3S-FE engine, right?

If so, the only thing that holds the valve cover on are those large nuts that screw onto the spark plug tubes.

The BGB says to use a flat blade screwdriver along the flat spot on the distributor/exhaust side of the engine, and pry up slightly to break the seal, then pull the valve cover off. It is not unusual for the gasket to be tight and requiring a slight pry to get it started.

roccoand
06-25-2010, 01:08 AM
Yes, it has the 2 liter 3S-FE Engine. Thanks, I'll use a screwdriver on the distributor side as you suggest. Thank You so much. I've only seen valve covers with the bolts all around it.

Have you done the starter mod? I have that problem and I'm taking a trip in two weeks. I found this forum by searching for the starting problem, which I actually found here at this link-

- http://www.st162.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=236

Describes my problem exactly.

Uh, what is the BGB? I am a Toyota Newbie! My truck never needed anything.

93celicaconv
06-25-2010, 02:13 AM
The BGB is the acronym for the Big Green Book. Actually, this is for the 1993 Celica service manuals. In most cases, especially like removing the valve cover, you can refer to the engine sections on the 5S-FE (it is nearly identical to the 3S-FE, except it has a slightly longer stroke and larger bore to make it a 2.2L). There are some difference, but not many. A link to this 1993 model service manual is below:

http://www.celicatech.com/imagearchive/bgbonline/93celica/

roccoand
06-25-2010, 02:25 AM
Thank You so SO much! This board is as great as they come.

I'm out wrenching right now!

CriScO
06-25-2010, 09:27 AM
Assuming you have the 2.0L 3S-FE engine, right?

If so, the only thing that holds the valve cover on are those large nuts that screw onto the spark plug tubes.

The BGB says to use a flat blade screwdriver along the flat spot on the distributor/exhaust side of the engine, and pry up slightly to break the seal, then pull the valve cover off. It is not unusual for the gasket to be tight and requiring a slight pry to get it started.
^This.

Be careful with the alternator wiring harness, you may have to take out the screws on the plastic mount to get it out of the way.

As for your sealant question, don't use it. Rubber and silicone generally don't mix. The gasket alone is sufficient.

93celicaconv
06-25-2010, 12:03 PM
Well, there are those spot areas where the gasket has to go over the camshaft bearing caps on both ends, and the half-circle plastic plug, which the BGB instructs to use a small amount of FIPG (form in place gasket) material, because the surface there is not perfectly flat and needs more than just the rubber valve cover gasket to seal. In those spots, you should put a dab of the FIPG material, but none along the rest of the sealing area.

4thgenceli
06-25-2010, 12:16 PM
Well, there are those spot areas where the gasket has to go over the camshaft bearing caps on both ends, and the half-circle plastic plug, which the BGB instructs to use a small amount of FIPG (form in place gasket) material, because the surface there is not perfectly flat and needs more than just the rubber valve cover gasket to seal. In those spots, you should put a dab of the FIPG material, but none along the rest of the sealing area.
That's how I've sealed all my valve cover gaskets.

Used the normal rubber seal, and then on those edges where it doesn't seal just a small dab of OEM FIPG to help.

Never failed on me yet.

93celicaconv
06-25-2010, 12:27 PM
Right. And the BGB states to do it that way also, and if one is fortunate enough to be the first to remove a valve cover since it was assembled in the factory, that is the way it was put together the first time too.