PDA

View Full Version : ignition key problems on gen 7

mykel44
06-24-2010, 09:31 AM
Hi I'm new to this Forum and looking for some advice!! My ignition key seems to be jamming in ignition barrel when I turn engine off, and takes a lot of turning on and off before I am able to turn key fully to enable me to remove it.
The question is - do I need to replace the barrel? and if so what are the steps? also will part from breakers be compatible, ie will I still need old key to auto lock/unlock?

donteatbugs
06-24-2010, 10:26 PM
have you tried some spray silicone lube in the hole?

mykel44
06-25-2010, 07:14 PM
hi donteatbugs, yeh ive tried a copper based lubricant, but to no avail, it feels like something inside barrel has dropped slightly , that is causing the problem!!!

donteatbugs
06-28-2010, 07:23 PM
do you have any other keys? it may be the key is old and worn and not letting the pins get aligned properly. i would try that first before i went to the trouble of taking the key cylinder out and cleaning and rekeying it.

mykel44
06-29-2010, 09:26 AM
Hi again, the newer keys seem to be worse- for the moment im leaving key in ignition which is not a great idea!!

donteatbugs
06-29-2010, 07:12 PM
id take a free 6 hours or so and take the cylinder out and look at it. worst you can do is find the tumbler thats sticking and remove it or fix it. i did this on one of my truck locks and it ended up with only 3 tumblers instead of 5.

mykel44
06-30-2010, 07:59 AM
I think i'll take your advice, but do you know a step by step guide for removing the barrel/cylinder on the celica

donteatbugs
06-30-2010, 02:44 PM
i do not have the process but if you look in the service manual (bgb) it might have something in there about it.

i do know you will need to take the steering column cover off and maybe the lower knee panel. disconnect the battery too. after that i dont have precise steps

donteatbugs
06-30-2010, 02:44 PM
i do not have the process but if you look in the service manual (bgb) it might have something in there about it.

i do know you will need to take the steering column cover off and maybe the lower knee panel. disconnect the battery too. after that i dont have precise steps

mykel44
07-01-2010, 10:45 AM
sorry im so new i dont even know what the "bgb" is- can you help me locate this

cheers mike

donteatbugs
07-01-2010, 12:09 PM
They are on the main page of this site, but you have to be a donating member to view them. ($5) or try google for celica service manual