PDA

View Full Version : Bad rings?

bloodMoney
06-20-2010, 04:08 PM
So last night, I got Nyx's 88 AT back together with a good turbo and took it for a spin. Everything was fine until the car got up to op. temp. and started misbehaving.

She was running rough at idle, stalling when the accelerator was pushed, etc. So, we pull her back into the barn and open up the hood to find oil EVERYWHERE. It was coming out of the BOV and putting liquid oil all over the engine bay.

I'm going to do a compression test a little later today, but I just wanted to see some opinions as to what it could be, besides the obvious turbo oil seals and piston rings.

Any ideas?

Mario: She's PISSED! Last night, the drive home was :biggun1::fire:

:Help:

MCcelica
06-20-2010, 04:37 PM
Ouch bro. Did you ever take apart the block?

Hookecho
06-20-2010, 04:57 PM
have you noticed exhaust smoke? it really seems like a blown seal to me.

could be a clogged oil return line creating a little pressure. hows the oil pressure looking?

maybe too much oil could cause high pressure.

could be excessive blow by too.

clogged pcv hose.

T-spoon
06-20-2010, 10:12 PM
maybe too much oil could cause high pressure.

That's certainly true. Dealer blew out my 7Ms front main with something between 8 and 12 quarts. Put several inches of oil in my catch can flooding the PCV too. Was a terribad mess. Not that I'm saying the OP did that, just confirming Hook's suggested possibility.

Shadowlife25
06-21-2010, 06:17 AM
Comp test results?

Id be more apt to say it's a seal issue, but :shrug:

alltracNyx
06-21-2010, 05:16 PM
The compression test didn't happen yesterday, but will likely be done later this week, or next weekend.

In any case, I am ubersadface.

lamont
06-30-2010, 12:41 AM
Subscribed, I'm interested to see your findings. Hope you guys get her back up and running soon:biggthumpup:

alltracNyx
06-30-2010, 02:56 AM
We will be updating this in our project thread from here on out if you want to see how the tear down and build goes. And it includes lots of pics ;)

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48491