PDA

View Full Version : Celica Stock Car Racers

jsooke
06-20-2010, 05:55 AM
Thought would start a separate thread as we seem to be hijacking the "Camber" thread.

A number of us are now racing Celica's in stock car classes, both on pavement and dirt. Lots of different names for the classes, but essentially 4 cylinder cars without any modifications on street type tires running smaller oval circuits.

Hoping we can use this thread to connect and get set up ideas, especially around suspension set up and tire pressures.

I am running a 92 GT coupe on 195/64/15 on pavement. The track is about 1/5 mile. Currently dominated by 2nd gen Integras. Have not had a race yet (first race is June 23), but under practice and testing times have been good.

Last practice was able to play around with tire pressures and see what works best. Probably starting 37F/33R cold for now. Biggest problem was very hot brakes ... no fade, but lots of smoke (about 600C on the rotors .. ouch). Will have to get proper racing pads. I left foot brake and am hard on brakes. Typical race day will be warm-up, 5 lap qualify, 2 10 lap heats and 1 25 lap main. Maybe the brakes will stay cool enough. Going to take off the dust cover and see if that helps.

Jay

celica race car
07-02-2010, 08:57 AM
The tire pressures that work for me on a 1/4 mile oval are... LF-10 RF-33 LR-12 RR-43..(195/70/14) As far as suspension goes cheap camber bolts in the front and I keep the toe in both front wheels almost straight and in the rear pointed to the outside wall as far as they will adjust. Spring clamps on all 4 springs... I was able to get away with removing my hatch and hulling the hood lightened the car up at least 75lbs... One of the biggest mistakes I made was putting the gas to the floor exiting the turns instead of easing back into it, I went from finishing 5th every week to second.

jsooke
07-03-2010, 03:26 AM
Those are pretty extreme ... maybe will try something close for qualifying. Have a much smaller track (1/8th mile?), no banking. Cannot do that for race as we can be run either clockwise or counter clockwise. Qualifying times have been 2nd both nights; unfortunately running full inverse grid with 15 - 30 cars to pass.

Running cold RF 37, LF 35, RR 34, LR 33 or so. Good for qualifying, but after the tires heat up can get push out corner 2 (corner 4 not so bad). Yes, important to ease on to throttle out of turns. I have found compared to 2nd and 3rd Integra's I can get the power down sooner and get deeper into the corner, also have the inner groove better than they can handle.

Cannot do any camber or spring mods ... not allowed ... and my Pit boss has already complained about a couple of other obviously lowered cars ... one that has faster times than me ... so I guess I better follow the rules or else.

Running the coupe, so trunk lid still on ... has much better bracing across rear than the hatch though.

Also, have determined that the car is strong: got rear ended hard on a yellow, thought it meant slow down, somebody behind me didn't .... lap chart shows that it ended his race ;). Marks on bumper and pushed in a bit.

Jay

Celicadirtracer
07-08-2010, 03:29 AM
What up guys have 4 5th gens now raced first one for thirty races bought used already raced. New car is nice 1.6 auto car, we race on 1/3 mile dirt. Can do some suspension mod, CAI, and stuff you can't see in motor,got new 2.2 auto car doing cage now two weeks till ready.

Is there any way to use cold start injector to fatten up fuel mixture if we crystal the ECU

jsooke
07-08-2010, 06:59 AM
Measured our track ... 1/5 mile. Doing reasonably well in class: 3rd in each heat and from 23rd to 7th in the main event tonight.

Need a new tire gauge: compared with another there was an 8psi difference.

Now the problem is when tank is 1/2 or less I am getting fuel starvation out of turn 2 down back "straight". Guess will have to make sure reasonably full at the start of each night.

Jay

celica race car
07-09-2010, 05:21 AM
Is there any way to use cold start injector to fatten up fuel mixture if we crystal the ECU

I don't know of any way to use the cold start inj. someone else might.. I tried changing mine about a month ago without a AFR piggyback. I changed it back to stock. I wouldn't suggest doing it unless you have an AFR piggyback.

Now the problem is when tank is 1/2 or less I am getting fuel starvation out of turn 2 down back "straight". Guess will have to make sure reasonably full at the start of each night.
Jay

I usualy start each race with 3/4 of a tank. We run 15-20 laps. But the extra fuel helps keep the rear from being to loose for me.

Celicadirtracer
07-09-2010, 05:44 AM
Would a set of larger injectors work to accomplish the same effect of that so
we can get the extra 1000 rpms and not burn motor up,
and have found full tank is best way to avoid issues I would rather have the extra fuel load but no run dry issues as we had it happen to us and know plenty that run out when we have a lot of restarts and caution laps. Fill car at beginning of season and then just top off each week.:beerchug:

jsooke
07-09-2010, 07:07 AM
caution laps. Fill car at beginning of season and then just top off each week.

Yeah, thought it would be okay .... good thing did not have a trophy dash as well. Yellow/red seemed to help, let the fuel settle back in place. Know now to keep it topped up. Anyways, looks like 4 out of 35 for class after 3 race nights; 3 integras in front of me.

And that right front corner does not look so pristine any more ... had a rookie racer cut down on me and hit her pretty good in the driver side bar, some good scrapes on the nose. Noticed from MYlaps she was DQ'd next lap.

Celicadirtracer
07-20-2010, 05:48 PM
Well after two hours on the pulling post the lil6 is straight again and doesn't drive to bad after being t boned in the drivers nose so let's hope we get a win with her now as we have a 5th, 3rd, and 2nd in heat races and blew rad in first feature, 8th in second one, and running in top 10 when when wrecked in last feature, hopping for heat race luck in feature This weekend:beerchug:

celica race car
07-21-2010, 05:40 AM
We got rained out here in Birmingham Sat. but maybe the weather will hold off this Sat. BTW Fri. night I will be taking the car to a dirt track for an open pratice. I've never raced dirt before so this should be interesting.... :-)

Celicadirtracer
07-21-2010, 06:03 AM
We race on a 1/3 mile dirt track what tires do you run at your other track, we have to run DOT tires 195/60-70/14-15 but all have to be same size on car so a little wiggle room for gearing

celica race car
07-22-2010, 04:05 AM
I run 195/70/14 we have to run a 70 series tire. If I run this car next year I will be trying a 205/70/14 But I plan on building a D16Z6 honda civic over the winter. I already have the right front a-arm shortened. Just gotta rebuild the motor.

jsooke
07-22-2010, 06:07 AM
Now tied for first in points out of about 40.... consistency pays off.

Banged up a bit in Main event, front left then rear right as I tried to get to outside to avoid a major pile up (my buddy went under another car ... tread marks on the dashboard). Will need to pull some fenders out and front radiator brace has folded back blocking air intake (luckily the air box in the fender is already gone.

Running 195/65-15 as they are most readily available. We have to run all four tires same sizing ... usually try to get a bigger (all tires are slightly different) on front right. Cannot get too aggressive as the organizers can have the race run clock wise, have not done it yet this year.

At next race night all HONDAS have to be checked for height ... too many complaints about lowered Integras. The interesting thing is they used my daily driver Civic to figure out what is minimum height, and it sits pretty high as on newer springs and shocks. Should be interesting what happens next week .....

Well, Sunday morning now out to straighten some sheet metal.

Jay

Celicadirtracer
07-25-2010, 03:30 AM
Well got rained out tonight but car seemed to drive ok from the wreck last race but with week off this will give us more time to finish up the 2.2 car and then me and my boy can race again so that will be cool cause when I race my sprint car in Sept. I can't race a 4cyl. Bomber anymore :lame: so got to get it while we can :burnout: