PDA

View Full Version : Macco and new paint job

grimmythereaper
06-15-2010, 12:25 AM
Not sure where to put this thread so ill put in here. Has any body tried macco for a paint job, my celi needs new paint and i dont have a lot of money. does anybody have any suggections or if any body lives in houston, tx does anybody have any place that have taken there car too?

93celicaconv
06-15-2010, 12:40 AM
I've had 2 different Celicas painted at Macco's in Wisconsin.

The first, a premium paint job, was not very expensive, but after nearly 8 years, I can see how poor it was. Hardly any trim parts were removed, just masked. Paint has chipped off and also faded badly.

A second Celica was painted at Macco's 2 years later (before the poor quality of the 1st paint job really became evident). I opted for a slightly less expensive paint job on this one. Now, 6 years later, no problems, paint is still glossy and is not chipping (the first one started doing this within the first couple of years, so this was done much better, or the paint itself was much better). Also, there was no overspray on any items that should not have paint on it, so I think most of the trim parts were remove prior to painting, then put back on again.

So imagine that, two identical Celicas painted within 2 years of each other, with totally different results. Sounds hit & miss to me, largely based on what paint they are using at the time, and what the motivation is of the people doing the work at the time.

4thgenceli
06-15-2010, 12:43 AM
I've had 2 different Celicas painted at Macco's in Wisconsin.

The first, a premium paint job, was not very expensive, but after nearly 8 years, I can see how poor it was. Hardly any trim parts were removed, just masked. Paint has chipped off and also faded badly.

A second Celica was painted at Macco's 2 years later (before the poor quality of the 1st paint job really became evident). I opted for a slightly less expensive paint job on this one. Now, 6 years later, no problems, paint is still glossy and is not chipping (the first one started doing this within the first couple of years, so this was done much better, or the paint itself was much better). Also, there was no overspray on any items that should not have paint on it, so I think most of the trim parts were remove prior to painting, then put back on again.

So imagine that, two identical Celicas painted within 2 years of each other, with totally different results. Sounds hit & miss to me, largely based on what paint they are using at the time, and what the motivation is of the people doing the work at the time.
Damn.. not the response I was hoping for either :(

Buddy owns a Maaco here locally and will spray my car for cost + $50. I'll be bring him the paint I want, and just using his clear coat & whatever for prep work.

klapa
06-15-2010, 12:46 AM
Maaco is a "franchise" operation and like any other shop - regardless of the name - they are only as good a the people that run it.

That being said - my wife rear-ended somebody in our 2002 Ford Escape family car and the insurance company place nearest was a Maaco here in Cary. They did us good - fixed everything and painted too - yet a trans line had been bent that they missed - and later the thing started leaking and my wife was on the side of the road.

The Maaco place sent a tow truck to come get the car, sent it to a transmission place to be fixed, and did not even charge us one dime for the whole thing. So at least as far as my experience goes - the Maaco here did us right.

Note that paint gets very expensive - very fast. It's all about "preparation, preparation, preparation".

The more you do your self to get the thing read for paint by smoothing stuff out and possibly prepping yourself by sanding - the more money you will save and the better you paint job will come out to be.

Most times - unless you own a "priceless jewel" - it is a better idea to prepare things one part at a time and get "touch-up" work done - using the painter to match the paint well and spray it in his dust-free paint room.

Just my 2 cents.

grimmythereaper
06-15-2010, 01:05 AM
it sounds like i should research the macco by me house

*on*

UtahSleeper
06-15-2010, 01:11 AM
That and if you want it done right I have read it is best to do as much of the prep work as you can before taking it to them.

Again, depends on the people.

klapa
06-15-2010, 01:24 AM
That and if you want it done right I have read it is best to do as much of the prep work as you can before taking it to them.

Again, depends on the people.

Couldn't agree more - that was essentially my point.

It is EASY to find some place that will properly PAINT your car - but it is very difficult indeed to find the body man that will take the time and loving care to truly prepare the bumps and blemishes.

YOU are the only one that loves your car that much - my suggestion would be to find your "body man" - take your car there and get his advice as to what needs to be done to get the body up to your standards.

If it's some reputable person - they will explain what needs to be done - and probably even help you to determine the "grunt work" that you can do yourself and the expert body work they would need to do to help you save some money.

Also - as I said - in my own experience it is better - both from the perspective of "cash flow" and the final quality of the job to do it in "sections" - rather than all at once - unless you have rather substantial funds available or are willing to take a half-ass job that will only last a few years.

Galcobar
06-15-2010, 05:25 AM
I'll chime in on the variability issue between franchises.

That said, Maaco, even ones run by people with interest and dedication, does not use the best paints. There is a reason why their prices are typically low.

Like most matters of manufacturing, you get what you pay for -- or at least, the cheap stuff is usually cheap for a reason. Klapa's suggestion is a good one, local expertise makes a major difference.

Check local car boards, see if they have input. After an Explorer backed into my hood I did the research -- much more than when my car was vandalized -- and chose a place with a solid reputation (who was also recommended by the parts manager at my local Toyota dealership). Their standards were such that upon hearing the age of my car, the bodyshop manager immediately told me he doesn't work on rust buckets. I asked him to let me know if he found any rust. Before they took the car, he went over it, identifying the issues with me and laying out a timeline for repairs. Worked out well, and I'm happy with the job they did.

85gtsblackman
06-15-2010, 08:06 AM
basicly, sand your car yourself or at least cover/remove all trim, lights, ect

my 91stx came out pretty good, i got the paint blended with the clear. came out nice, bumper started chipping a year later and they were going to redo it but i never got around getting it done before i traded it for the 3rd gen

i keep meaning to go get an estimate for them to paint my beater and fix the quarter panel dent, bondo crack, and the dented bumper, the rest of it i could care less as long as it comes out nice and glossy.

though im really tempted to get it shot in black. Which im on the fence of doing, red would be cheaper, but i want the car in glack with gold/anodized wheels. basicly id go get some sherwin williams fleet paint, or 3m paint, and clear and ask macco how much to shoot it

FluffyNutts
06-18-2010, 02:41 AM
I would agree with everyone, they can do good paint work fo rthe price, only if YOU take the time to prep it yourself. If not, they will mask and spray because its what you pay for. And as far as quality, IMHO, it depends on how much the painter enjoys doing his work.

celica91gts
06-18-2010, 06:07 AM
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37370

rule #12
really though, i wouldn't a couple of my friends have gotten their car back unhappy with quality. a paint job really is one of those things where you get what you pay for.

85gtsblackman
06-18-2010, 12:56 PM
ive found if you tell the person thats spraying your car you'll get him an 20 bucks and a 18 pack of beer if he does a good job it usally turns out damn good

alzeem88
06-19-2010, 04:47 AM
I got my integra painted black around 3 years ago. It cost me 750$ in total. full paint and they r kinda great.

Hipster Lawrence
06-19-2010, 11:08 PM
Macco does no prep work. They go over the car with a scotch brite pad and spray it.

They always paint right over the radiator or condenser whatever is behind your grill.

A good paint job will cost you around $3000.

klapa
06-19-2010, 11:46 PM
A good paint job will cost you around $3000.

That is very true - the best "premo" paint job with "candy apple" paint WILL cost in the thousands.

However - if you do some careful prep work yourself - and mask off most of the areas yourself - you can get a better than decent job in Acrylic Enamel done for a bit less than $1000.

Hipster Lawrence
06-20-2010, 07:07 PM
I mean a paint job that looks OE. You remove every body panel that can be removed, all the glass the door panels all the trim etc. Sand prime paint clear and a buttload of wetsanding.

I wish I could afford to have the mr2 painted this way.

mar_phi6
06-22-2010, 01:50 AM
and that why i never got my car painted yet even it look dull

Smaay
06-22-2010, 05:41 PM
FUCK MAACO!!!! i paid for the best paint job they had to offer when i painted the Supra. they screwed it up so many times. my Supra looks like ass. they sprayed clear over the badged and it wrinckled. i had to buy all new badges after they screwed that up. noe the paint is faiding and chipping after 3 years. they can lick my goat cheese balls

alzeem88
06-23-2010, 07:47 AM
FUCK MAACO!!!! i paid for the best paint job they had to offer when i painted the Supra. they screwed it up so many times. my Supra looks like ass. they sprayed clear over the badged and it wrinckled. i had to buy all new badges after they screwed that up. noe the paint is faiding and chipping after 3 years. they can lick my goat cheese balls

they could be bad with different people i guess. I know the owner personally, plus I was the whole time when they painted it lol. though for a really good job on an exotic paint would cost u 3grands, but a nice touch is always around 1000$ as far as i know..