PDA

View Full Version : some facts about toyotas

v8killer
06-14-2010, 07:54 PM
1. the only t-stat u should use is one from toyota or trd the rest have no place within 10 feet from your car(they don't work well)
2. for most applications the stock ignition system with good components is enough for 300-500 hp depending on the application
3. fun=money
4. toyota bottom ends are very strong and have 2 deadly enemies too much heat and too little oil.
5. the 3sgte block is NOT a weak engine and will be good for 700 hp and more. if yours blew at less it was tunning or some other failure or miles. the block itself will not crack at less than 700 period.
6. stock for stock gen3 3sgte > gen2 3sgte, modded gen3 = gen2
7. tuning is key no way around it

andy
06-14-2010, 09:00 PM
i also found that toyota water pumps are required and DENSO OR NGK plugs ONLY!

v8killer
06-14-2010, 09:15 PM
denso water pumps for reliability yes, and i have had bad things happen with ngk, to the point where instead of saying that something is a fail i call it pulling a ngk. densos are the shiat and are the only ones i will ever use

Hipster Lawrence
06-14-2010, 11:52 PM
3. fun=money

I beg to differ.

Luni
06-14-2010, 11:59 PM
Its so cheap a caveman can do it!

T-spoon
06-15-2010, 12:09 AM
Tuning..

v8killer
06-15-2010, 12:49 AM
edited for tune'age

lovin is free i know.... ;)

Hipster Lawrence
06-15-2010, 02:00 AM
Its so cheap a caveman can do it!
lol

Nitro_Alltrac
06-15-2010, 02:30 AM
I have to say that I haven't had any problems with the NGK plugs. I'm on my second set (one set copper, second irridium). I've also got the NGK wires.

v8killer
06-15-2010, 02:40 AM
thats good for you i will never again use them they dissintegrated into my engine. thats never happened with denso's and not just one 2 of them cyl2 and cyl4

Nitro_Alltrac
06-15-2010, 03:56 AM
They're pretty common in the All Tracs. That's what most everybody at AT.net uses. You might have got a bad set. They're also one of the OEM suppliers for Toyota.

v8killer
06-15-2010, 04:16 AM
take out any new or old toyota's plugs if they are original and tell me what brand they are i know for a fact they are denso and at the dealers anywhere in the general area (salinas to san jose) i have never had them ask do you want ngk or denso, they always just give me denso and i asked for cheaper ones or other brands and they look at me funny and say go to kragen. of course this last time i did, never again.

CriScO
06-15-2010, 10:18 AM
Nitro works at a Toyota factory bro, you should listen to him.

85gtsblackman
06-15-2010, 11:00 AM
1. the only t-stat u should use is one from toyota or trd the rest have no place within 10 feet from your car(they don't work well)
2. for most applications the stock ignition system with good components is enough for 300-500 hp depending on the application
3. fun=money
4. toyota bottom ends are very strong and have 2 deadly enemies too much heat and too little oil.
5. the 3sgte block is NOT a weak engine and will be good for 700 hp and more. if yours blew at less it was tunning or some other failure or miles. the block itself will not crack at less than 700 period.
6. stock for stock gen3 3sgte > gen2 3sgte, modded gen3 = gen2
7. tuning is key no way around it

because im a smart ass with a 3rd gen....

1. most thermostats will work as long as they are over 8 dollars, if under 8 dollars drill hole in said thermostat
2. true, though every 20 years you will havta buy a new ignitor and/or coil
3. not much money
4. r series has only one enemies, broken timing chain guides, oil is optional
5. this is almost improssible for an r series engine, how every they will run with multiple holes in the block
6. rwd swapped engine > 3sxxx
7. if you have a 22r with a original stock carb, throw said carb in the trash and get a weber, you will need a brain, common sence, a ear, and a skrewdriver to tune such carb

disclaimer: this mainly applies to toyota trucks and 3rd gens, if your truck came with a 3vz-e, please sell said vehicle or have a stockpile of headgaskets and crankshafts laying about

Legacyofdan
06-15-2010, 01:40 PM
denso water pumps for reliability yes, and i have had bad things happen with ngk, to the point where instead of saying that something is a fail i call it pulling a ngk. densos are the shiat and are the only ones i will ever use

can you elaborate on these failures...or otherwise ngks

v8killer
06-15-2010, 07:19 PM
i can post pics, i can see one breaking but 2?? at almost the same time? within 5 days.... i was driving my car regularly for a while since the plugs were new with less than 5k getting into low boost trying to keep my milage good then i notced a missfire. at first i was like whatever then about 5 days later it got worse when i went into 2-5 psi so i was like ok thats enough i pulled 1 and 2 to find 2's ceramic broken and showing signs of running hot duh. then i pulled 3 expecting worse cuz of the center feed mani, it was fine. then i pulled 4 and less ceramic was gone but it looked like the electrode broke off a bit and melted on the corner of the break. i will post pics when i can.

1. most thermostats will work as long as they are over 8 dollars, if under 8 dollars drill hole in said thermostat
3. not much money
5. this is almost improssible for an r series engine, how every they will run with multiple holes in the block
7. if you have a 22r with a original stock carb, throw said carb in the trash and get a weber, you will need a brain, common sence, a ear, and a skrewdriver to tune such carb

disclaimer: this mainly applies to toyota trucks and 3rd gens, if your truck came with a 3vz-e, please sell said vehicle or have a stockpile of headgaskets and crankshafts laying about

to your 1. if it doesn't look the same it won't work the same. no matter what you pay if the design is not the same it will not work for most 4th gen and newr

to your 6. my st165 has no fear of your rwd anything

to the rest damn thats funny! and incredibly true i saw a 22re with 4 bent rods and almost no oil and a blown hg drive into my work to set up an appointment drive off then come back the next day to get fixed lol. he drove through a "puddle" sure maybe tried to cross a river IMO

Nitro_Alltrac
06-16-2010, 12:30 AM
I can tell you for a fact that Toyota uses BOTH Denso and NGK. Like Chris said, I work at a Toyota plant. I spent 10.5 years at an engine plant and everything we built could go out the door with either Denso or NGK plugs.

I'm not contesting that you had a problem but TONS of other 3S owners use the NGK plugs without any problem. I was wrong in my statement before, I've had 3 sets in my car. It had NGK coppers when I got it.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinions so let's just move on.

93celicaconv
06-16-2010, 12:53 AM
It is also noteworthy that, at the time iridiums were becoming popular, Denso was having manufacturing problems with their iridiums, and NGK manufactured Denso iridiums for a few months until Denso resolved their manufacturing problems. Good thing Denso realized their problem and didn't put out defective iridium plugs at the time. But it was also neat to see NGK come to Denso's rescue to help them get through their problem.

Also, I've always used NGK in my Toyotas, copper & iridium, and all have worked perfectly fine. I agree though, experiences formulate opinions, and we all have them, so we need to move on.

KoreanJoey
06-16-2010, 03:34 AM
v8, sounds like you were detonating... only thing I could think of for killing spark plugs like that.

joe's gt
06-16-2010, 05:55 AM
1. Used a generic one, no problems ever.
2. agree
3. depends, for some fun=handles and others fun=power and most fun=handles and power.
4. agree, although this pretty much applies to every block
5. agree
6. agree
7. agree

And yeah v8, agree with KoreanJoey. For 2 to go out at the same time, something was wrong with ur engine, not the plugs.

v8killer
06-16-2010, 07:04 AM
i will be taking it appart within a week i have had a loose belt for a bit and i think its cuz of the milled head and ebay gen3 hg i will be able to tell whats up for sure. detonation under 5 psi and 50% throttle is hard to believe for me right now. maybe i did get a bad set but if it was detonation it would have been cyl3 its still a centerfeed 3sgte manifold

ko racing has had issues with non toyota t-stats just ask chris, for me driving over pacheco pass where the wind is at your back and its up-hill i noticed the temp rise up to almost the red. on most other cars its nothing big. no one will ever notice or care if the needle moves slightly. in autoX or roadrace you will notice for sure, i do the first

vip09
06-16-2010, 07:50 AM
v8, what does your car run? I don't think I've ever seen you really talk about your car.

not12listen
06-19-2010, 04:49 PM
i agree with v8killer.

i have used Denso, Autolite, Champion and NGK plugs. anything that is NOT Denso, is crap, in my experience. that is also to say that Champion and Autolite were identical to NGK.

with NGK, Champion or Autolite, within 2500 miles (ie. an oil change), i can feel the power drop. this was consistent on my MA70, AW11, AE86, KP61, ST165 and my 1999 Subaru 2.5RS.

i put in Denso plugs, and the power would be perfect for a year solid with absolutely no issues whatsoever.

every time i've ever gone to toyota of dublin (basically across the street from me), i have only ever see Denso plugs. i know the guys in the parts department on a first name basis, and every time i call, they jokingly ask 'ok joel, what did you break this time?' :)

when i go to the local auto parts store, they always offer me NGK plugs, knowing that i will not take them... and i have had to special order Denso plugs (still have the box on my desk). and those Denso plugs are still in my Subaru currently - the same ones from 6 months ago.

T-spoon
06-19-2010, 05:57 PM
i agree with v8killer.

i have used Denso, Autolite, Champion and NGK plugs. anything that is NOT Denso, is crap, in my experience. that is also to say that Champion and Autolite were identical to NGK.

with NGK, Champion or Autolite, within 2500 miles (ie. an oil change), i can feel the power drop. this was consistent on my MA70, AW11, AE86, KP61, ST165 and my 1999 Subaru 2.5RS.

i put in Denso plugs, and the power would be perfect for a year solid with absolutely no issues whatsoever.

every time i've ever gone to toyota of dublin (basically across the street from me), i have only ever see Denso plugs. i know the guys in the parts department on a first name basis, and every time i call, they jokingly ask 'ok joel, what did you break this time?' :)

when i go to the local auto parts store, they always offer me NGK plugs, knowing that i will not take them... and i have had to special order Denso plugs (still have the box on my desk). and those Denso plugs are still in my Subaru currently - the same ones from 6 months ago.

Heh, your username is so, so true :)

not12listen
06-19-2010, 11:31 PM
Heh, your username is so, so true :)

i fully agree that my handle is well chosen. but, i'm curious why you're playing 'that' card at this point? :)

i was commenting on my experience with spark plugs. maybe i'm a bit late to the thread, but i was just adding my 2 cents. :)

T-spoon
06-19-2010, 11:49 PM
i'm curious why you're playing 'that' card at this point? :)

Who's playing cards? Just calling it like I see it. :hi:

DudeMan
06-20-2010, 12:14 AM

My 3VZE is still pulling strong at 335000km.

I don't exactly meticulously maintain it either.

It's overdue for an oil change, using green (acidic) coolant instead of Toyota red, I rev the living shit out of it almost daily and not a single problem.

I think the 3VZE's reliability being so horrible is a bit exaggerated. I'll admit, I hate the engine, it has no balls and sucks gas like a fat girl gives head but its torquey and has yet to let me down.

The real problem is the exhaust design. The crossover pipe blasts the 5th cylinder with heat, exactly where the headgasket is prone to break. Install headers or even modify the existing crossover piece and the HG issue is solved.

Anyways, back on topic, whatever that may be.

T-spoon
06-20-2010, 12:19 AM
Anyways, back on topic, whatever that may be.

I'm pretty sure the topic is "Opinions about Toyotas gleaned only from personal experience" so I think you were on topic. :ohsnap:

not12listen
06-20-2010, 01:58 AM
Who's playing cards? Just calling it like I see it. :hi:

well then my lord, i wish to apologize and offer only my humblest words and state that you are the captain of the most obvious facts and observations. :)

so... sarcasm aside, i'm basically asking the point of drawing attention to that particular bit of information at that time... that's all. :) was it personal glory or did it serve a greater purpose? :)

T-spoon
06-20-2010, 02:25 AM
well then my lord, i wish to apologize and offer only my humblest words and state that you are the captain of the most obvious facts and observations. :)

so... sarcasm aside, i'm basically asking the point of drawing attention to that particular bit of information at that time... that's all. :) was it personal glory or did it serve a greater purpose? :)

Tch. If you're going to have a username like that and argue with everyone, expect a jab or two from time to time. Smile about it and move on, you don't need to whip it out at the drop of a hat. You're moderately clever but if you abuse it you'll find it just isn't fun after a while.

Demz
06-20-2010, 09:30 AM

3. not much money

I laughed at the amount of truth here. Especially #4.