PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe to start my all-trac while on stands?

lalojamesliz
06-11-2010, 09:21 AM
I need to find out of my oil pan has a leak or if it's the rear main seal. Only way I can think of is by raising it on stands and starting it and going under to visualy check the pan. Will the engine vibration make my car fall off?

donteatbugs
06-11-2010, 01:28 PM
ive done it about a dozen times. its safe as long as its stable

ChrisD
06-11-2010, 05:05 PM
Yeah just make sure it is stable. And, of course, make sure it is in neutral! haha.

For extra safety, leave the front wheels on so that if it were to fall, it wouldn't crush you (completely). I would probably just jack the front up and set it on blocks with the rear wheels still on the ground.

Legacyofdan
06-11-2010, 06:35 PM
as they all said make sure it is stable, DONT do it in a gravel or grass area, find a smooth hard even surface. and make sure it doesnt rock from side to side or whatever, and you will be fine. my 0.02$ :)

Funkycheeze
06-11-2010, 11:44 PM
If you have ramps, I would use those instead of stands. Ok on stands as long as its stable.

celicaGT90_05
06-12-2010, 12:42 AM
^ I wouldnt, ramps can be very tricky, stands are very safe as long as they are seated properly and the car isnt on a slanted surface. I have heard of cases where cars were able to roll off ramps before.

FluffyNutts
06-12-2010, 12:43 AM
I would say you will be alright and why dont you get some brake cleaner, clean it and then put some die in there and run your car for a couple days and check it with a uv light?

Shadowlife25
06-12-2010, 01:06 AM
+1 for UV dye and a blacklight.

Hipster Lawrence
06-12-2010, 01:43 AM
You know what works better than uv dye? Spray foot powder.

Get the engine really clean, spray the powder over the suspected leak area and the powder will show the leak as soon as it happens.

KM
06-12-2010, 06:20 AM
That depends on how big your tires are... ;)

lalojamesliz
06-12-2010, 09:50 AM
Sorry for not replying guys, I got some wicked virus and have a nasty fever and to top it off my kids and wife got sick too :( I forgot to mention Ill be doing this in my garage that is almost level. I will also leave the wheels on. I like the dye & uv light idea. I just need to clean up under my car first. Thank you for the advice guys :)

ChrisD
06-13-2010, 04:44 PM
Good to hear you didn't go and crush yourself. :)

Also, when talking about jackstands. I hate how relatively unstable they are, and I hate how they bite into your chassis.

I have a much, much better solution that is infinitely more stable. I have made wood block stands. Basically, just cut a 2x6 peice of wood into several 8" sections, using nails to hold them together. I've done them in stacks of 4 peices per "block" When I jack my car up, I just put two blocks on either side. The car bites into the wood, and is incredibly stable.

ChrisD
06-15-2010, 02:51 PM
Here are the wood blocks that I use, instead of jackstands. So much better!

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/4/woodblocks.jpg

wizzards581
06-24-2010, 05:27 AM
i had my alltrac tested for 4wd. sitting on jackstands all four and spin the wheels up to 100mph. i just want to see if the 4wd really works.

i even let my engine run without coolant til it start to heat up.

lalojamesliz
06-25-2010, 03:50 PM
i had my alltrac tested for 4wd. sitting on jackstands all four and spin the wheels up to 100mph. i just want to see if the 4wd really works.

i even let my engine run without coolant til it start to heat up.

:eek5:

Here are the wood blocks that I use, instead of jackstands. So much better!

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/4/woodblocks.jpg

thanks for the pics. thats a great safe idea :biggthumpup: