PDA

View Full Version : The Great Radiator Cap Controversy

klapa
06-11-2010, 02:21 AM
When it comes to cooling systems on Celica's - if it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all.

I got this new Koyo P/N A1173 radiator listed as fitting 91-93 Celica GT with my engine (5sfe) but there are NO radiator caps I can find that fit it.

This is such a PITA because I couldn't find a cap at any parts store for my old radiator either - and that cap doesn't fit this new radiator. The problem is that the neck is a little shallower - but the cap everyone lists does not have the bottom tabs that go low enough - the tabs "cut" through the lugs on the neck and there are no positive locking stops.

I've looked all over - and whether I look up a 91 or a 93 rad cap they always have the same part number.

Here is a blurry photo showing the rad neck - one can barely make out where the cap locks are cutting on the neck lugs - and there is no lock - the thing will just keep turning.

I can put it on - carefully - and it will hold some pressure - but I can smell coolant so I know it is leaking and will not work.

http://www.nashdom.com/GT/RadNeck1.jpg

Anybody have some ideas? I tried the cap from my 91 3sgte - same thing - also a different cap but with the locking tabs at the same depth.

pinoyGT4
06-11-2010, 02:33 AM
have you tried from a different car brand?

manbridge
06-11-2010, 02:41 AM
Take your old cap to auto parts store. They will have the one with the correct depth locking tabs.

Nitro_Alltrac
06-11-2010, 03:04 AM
I don't think his old cap fits either. That's the problem.

klapa
06-11-2010, 03:29 AM
I don't think his old cap fits either. That's the problem.
That's it exactly - nothing fits.

All this started during the dragon when I developed an overheating problem.

Some more knowledgeable folks thought maybe the problem was my rad cap - so I bought one at the Pep Boys in Knoxville. That cap did not fit my original radiator.

As things turned out - the problem was a crack in the top of the rad - so I bought this new Koyo rad.

It seemed at first that the cap I bought in Knoxville - which is much like the cap on my 4afe ST worked - but I later noticed the problem. The problem is that the tabs on the cap are not deep enough to properly engage the lugs on the neck of the rad. Also no matter which fifth gen 5sfe for 4afe I look up in a parts store - they all have the same P/N for a rad cap - which is wrong.

What I need is a cap with the little "button" like a 4afe has - but with tangs which reach deeper to properly engage the lugs - like the cap I have the tangs are about 1/18" below the rim of the cap - I think I need about 1/8".

I'll take better photos tomorrow.

geebes
06-11-2010, 05:53 AM
Try looking into a cap for a corolla. Thats what I had to do when I got an off brand radiator.

pinoyGT4
06-11-2010, 06:51 AM
can you go to a store and try to fit some caps? :D

maybe that would be easier? i dunno.. hth

Shadowlife25
06-11-2010, 07:58 AM
I would ask Koyo about which cap they recommend for your model radiator,

cbarett251
06-11-2010, 01:20 PM
http://www.robearracing.com/pd-koyo-hyper-radiator-cap-13kgcm2-red.cfm
I believe this might be what you are looking for Klapa!

klapa
06-12-2010, 02:58 AM
I would ask Koyo about which cap they recommend for your model radiator,

I did that - I called their California office and asked that question - their first reply was that I should use my old "OEM" cap. When I explained that such did not fit - their reply was to "call the person I bought it from".

Of course - I bought it from someone on eBay who could give a shit about it now that they have the money - so I didn't even bother to pursue that further.

http://www.robearracing.com/pd-koyo-hyper-radiator-cap-13kgcm2-red.cfm
I believe this might be what you are looking for Klapa!

Yep - thanks for looking for me - even if I saw this earlier searching around - it is better to buy it from some "real" company than eBay.

I will buy this cap - and hopefully have not f*cked my rad neck so much that nothing will work.

Still - now I need to buy a rad cap for $30? for an "OEM" rad? After I have spent $140 for the rad (which included the shipping).

Oh - it's a "performance" rad cap - I'll gain 5HP :)

I definatly LOST on this deal - and would thus warn others here to stay away from Koyo rads - at least the "OEM replacements".

For the money I will have spent by the time I really get out of this dilemma (if I actually do without a total loss) - ~$180 - I could have added maybe $40 and have a two row all brass and aluminum rad that I could buy a OEM cap that fits and been much better off.

As always - when it comes to women and cars - caveat emptor.

Nitro_Alltrac
06-12-2010, 05:27 AM
Good response from Koyo. "Yea, we made the radiator to some odd spec but you need to call the yeawho that you bought it from. We're sure he'll know what cap you need.":nutkick:

Have to remember that one.

cbarett251
06-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Good response from Koyo. "Yea, we made the radiator to some odd spec but you need to call the yeawho that you bought it from. We're sure he'll know what cap you need.":nutkick:

Have to remember that one.

Yeah, I really found it odd that they don't have their caps listed on their own website. It's only an OEM fit radiator in that the mounting points and hose entry/exit match up. The Koyo universal fit cap is supposed to work better, but I would think that the radiator would come with it.

klapa
06-15-2010, 02:48 AM
Well All,

While the "jury is still out" - I think I had a "bone in my brain" on this one.

Out of desperation - I tried what PinoyGT suggested - a Corolla radiator cap.

As I happen to have a '94 FX with a 7AFE I thought - "why not"?

I removed the cap and compared it to my "Pep Boys" cap and the things looked identical. Yet when I screwed it on it went right up to the lugs and STOPPED - and feels real good. It has good spring pressure.

So the "lugs" on the neck seem to be there to STOP the cap - the tangs on the cap are NOT supposed to be deep enough to go over those lugs. The "Pep Boys" cap - as well as my 4AFE cap - don't have the spring pressure because the original rad AND the 4AFE rad have a deeper stop in the neck than does the Corolla rad.

It's really difficult to tell - but it sure does feel like that cap seals it up just fine - and it's nearly IMPOSSIBLE to see any difference at all between that cap and the others I've tried.

I'll find out tomorrow - as the weather here has been between 95-97 degree F everyday - and forecast to be the same tomorrow. My drive to work is only about 4-5 miles - but I'll know because if it's leaking I'll smell coolant.

If everything looks good - I'll take it out on I-40 at lunch just to stress it a little.

So - I kinda feel like a "dumby" here - such a simple thing.....

Hookecho
06-15-2010, 03:20 AM
you figured it out and that's all that matters.

andy
06-15-2010, 05:26 AM
ive done this before, but it was a late model early model thing.

pinoyGT4
06-15-2010, 09:19 AM
Well All,

While the "jury is still out" - I think I had a "bone in my brain" on this one.

Out of desperation - I tried what PinoyGT suggested - a Corolla radiator cap.

As I happen to have a '94 FX with a 7AFE I thought - "why not"?

I removed the cap and compared it to my "Pep Boys" cap and the things looked identical. Yet when I screwed it on it went right up to the lugs and STOPPED - and feels real good. It has good spring pressure.

So the "lugs" on the neck seem to be there to STOP the cap - the tangs on the cap are NOT supposed to be deep enough to go over those lugs. The "Pep Boys" cap - as well as my 4AFE cap - don't have the spring pressure because the original rad AND the 4AFE rad have a deeper stop in the neck than does the Corolla rad.

It's really difficult to tell - but it sure does feel like that cap seals it up just fine - and it's nearly IMPOSSIBLE to see any difference at all between that cap and the others I've tried.

I'll find out tomorrow - as the weather here has been between 95-97 degree F everyday - and forecast to be the same tomorrow. My drive to work is only about 4-5 miles - but I'll know because if it's leaking I'll smell coolant.

If everything looks good - I'll take it out on I-40 at lunch just to stress it a little.

hah!

glad that i know i kinda helped in a way.. :D

jsooke
06-24-2010, 07:24 PM
Well All,

How did the street test go .... I am having the exact same problem, except purchased the rad at the local Auto parts store ... couldn't find the proper fit. By the part number would say it is a Koyo rad as well.

Added: 1988 2.0l Celica cap fits.
Jay

klapa
06-25-2010, 10:56 PM
How did the street test go .... I am having the exact same problem, except purchased the rad at the local Auto parts store ... couldn't find the proper fit. By the part number would say it is a Koyo rad as well.

Added: 1988 2.0l Celica cap fits.
Jay

jsooke:

I have not really "stressed" the thing yet - but I have driven it to work a few days.

It is brutally hot here - like 98F with 70%-90% humidity - and as this car also does not have working A/C I have been driving my ST mostly, even for such a short drive.

I can tell you - on the days I did drive it to work - ~5 mile drive - it was ~98F on a couple of days - and I never smelled coolant at all when I parked - while before I always smelled it, without even needing to raise the hood. I would check about an hour after parking by pulling the cap and the thing still had a little pressure - and no coolant loss either.

It is so hot here right now that my temp gauge is already half way up to normal when I start it in the morning.

I'm waiting on my A/C repair - once the A/C is working - that will be thr true stress test.

85gtsblackman
06-26-2010, 04:23 AM
home all goes well

next time try performace radiator, they make good ones

sadly im going to havta drop over 200 bones for a dual core radiator for my gts cause its going to be custom made