PDA

View Full Version : Possible new Celica owner



DKazzed
06-09-2010, 04:23 PM
Hi there, I'm from Mission BC (a suburb of Vancouver) and looking at a few Celicas I want to buy, notably a 79 GT liftback but also a few 4th and 5th gens as well! I'm just really lurking around for information anyway... like how to make the 79 GT's 20R pass emissions which I'll ask in the appropriate forums. Anyway, hello!

http://images.craigslist.org/3k43m53pa5T65Q35W4a5m821fce637b351771.jpg?

http://images.craigslist.org/3m03o23l95V45T05U6a66de09f763fc7c1936.jpg?

UtahSleeper
06-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Welcome aboard.

And good luck on what you decide to purchase. Pretty sure there will be alot of assistance available.

MCcelica
06-09-2010, 06:38 PM
Welcome. Are those the exact ones you're looking at?

bloodMoney
06-09-2010, 07:13 PM
If the car is going to be a daily driver, I would try to find a rust free 4g or 5g....

If you are looking for a toy however, Definitely pick up the 79. There aren't many around :)


Oh! Welcome :D

DKazzed
06-09-2010, 07:20 PM
Welcome aboard.

And good luck on what you decide to purchase. Pretty sure there will be alot of assistance available.

Thanks! Yea looks like a good community, a few of the guys here I know from another Toyota forum!


Welcome. Are those the exact ones you're looking at?

Yep, the 79 GT is in absolutely clean and immaculate in and out, aside from three developing rust spots on the driver side that I can fix, it's mechanically in great running condition too aside from the emissions problem.

The 90 GT is nothing special, no power windows or AC (the 79 has AC lol), mechanically sound other than the 2nd gear syncros being shot, nothing a little double clutching can't help. Has rims from an 05 Celica.

Both could go to me for $1,000 ($900 for the 79 now that it's failed emissions), being strictly a tinkering around for fun car since we have another car and I take commuter rail to work, that is all I'm authorized to spend by the wife. lol.

UtahSleeper
06-09-2010, 08:12 PM
Since its a tinker car, I would say the 79. Emissions stuff normally isnt hard. Tune up, pcv, air filter, etc. Lots of basics that get forgotten.

Shadowlife25
06-09-2010, 08:38 PM
Since its a tinker car, I would say the 79. Emissions stuff normally isnt hard. Tune up, pcv, air filter, etc. Lots of basics that get forgotten.

Or worn rings or seals...... Failing emissions is not always an easy or cheap fix.

DKazzed
06-09-2010, 08:45 PM
Or worn rings or seals...... Failing emissions is not always an easy or cheap fix.

There's a 50% chance it's a worn diaphragm in the AAP, 40% chance it just needs an adjustment, tuneup, or new PCV valve, but whether I'm willing to risk that 10% chance that the rings/seals are gone... I could probably overhaul the engine easy but whether I'm actually willing to commit to it is another question. The seller is agreeing to let me look at the AAP since it's a <10 minute job. Once I've pinpointed or eliminated that cause, I'll decide whether I'll get it or not.

UtahSleeper
06-09-2010, 08:58 PM
True on the worn rings or seals. Wouldn't you be able to get slight feel for internal issues with driving?

DKazzed
06-09-2010, 09:06 PM
The engine felt smooth and strong, but when he started the car and gave it gas I noticed a bit of white smoke or vapor (forget) as well as what I assume was unburned fuel (hydrocarbon readings were fine though). It's very unlikely there is an issue with the 20R but there is still that chance.

Shadowlife25
06-09-2010, 09:06 PM
I only mentioned it as a possibility.

He apparently already knows what is wrong.

Best of luck.

DKazzed
06-09-2010, 09:09 PM
You guys are great so far, thanks. :) I'll let you know tonight what I find out.

MCcelica
06-09-2010, 09:21 PM
I look at it this way. If you get the 79 and it turns out to be more than you bargained for, you didn't lose very much as you could probably sell it much the same way it came to you. But if it is a simple fix, then you've scored one of the more rare vehicles on the road for relatively cheap. Either way though, let us know what you come up with!

DKazzed
06-10-2010, 04:37 AM
Well there was fuel on the wrong side of the diaphragm, but there was no hole on the diaphragm itself, makes me wonder where exactly is the fuel coming from. Needless to say I need a few more days to decide. I don't think it's going to go anywhere anytime soon unless the next person has more guts than I do (for now), I'm going to give a 4th and 5th gen Celica a test drive as well and see what I like. A bit sad but I'm not going to rush in to something I'm not 100% sure about. He said if he can't sell it here, he's going to have his buddy out of the region sell it where emissions is not required.

DKazzed
06-11-2010, 12:26 AM
So I really like the 5th gen Celica although the one I looked at in particular wasn't in the best shape but it wasn't terrible either. I'm going to hopefully look at the blue one pictured above tomorrow!

DKazzed
06-11-2010, 10:41 PM
I am officially a Celica owner, the 90 GT liftback pictured above is the one I ended up getting. The body is in very good condition and although it is spoilerless, the other two 90 GTs I looked at had rust around the spoilers (among other places) which signaled to me it was some sort of design flaw, this one had a little bit of a superficial scrape that I'l tend to but no rust whatsoever. No AC, no power windows, meh it's just my for fun car anyway. Included is a binder with 20 years of receipts of work done to the car, it was absolutely well kept and the only reason he was getting rid of it was that he got an AE86, which somehow he regrets buying but wants to keep it anyway.

Two things that will need replacing eventually is clutch master and front rotors, parts were included. Front rotors are easy, clutch master I'll attempt sometime but it's not urgent! For $1,000 I think it was a steal. :) I've purchased worse for $1,000.

UtahSleeper
06-11-2010, 10:56 PM
Well, congrats.

Now show PICS!!!! :)

If you ever want power windows and spoiler, you can add it later. Just depends on what you want.

For the record, my duck bill looking spoiler has no rust around it.

Nitro_Alltrac
06-11-2010, 11:22 PM
That's great to get a car with the service history. That tells you many things. Welcome by the way.

DKazzed
06-11-2010, 11:26 PM
Sorry! I must've just looked at two ill kept Celicas then.

I really don't care about the creature comforts (although the upgraded stereo system with subwoofer is a very nice bonus!), I wanted a good exterior, clean interior (I'll live with the one rip on the drivers seat) and decent mechanical condition with no emissions problems and I got it! I know I set my bar high but as a previous 91 Corolla owner with no rust and very good body, mint interior, and excellent mechanical condition with full service record, I knew that I would find the car that met my criteria.

I pick it up tomorrow so will post pics then!

Thanks all. :)

DKazzed
06-16-2010, 04:27 AM
Got my Celica on Saturday. :D

Exterior, the wheel well edge on the rear right fender is a bit scraped and driver side mirror is held on by duct tape, both which I'll fix.
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll81/DKazrolla/7bd2a83c.jpg
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll81/DKazrolla/b9e74aa3.jpg
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll81/DKazrolla/f43134d8.jpg

Interior
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll81/DKazrolla/37191e95.jpg

My other ride, a 2007 Mazda 5 GT with 5 speed manual.
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll81/DKazrolla/dbaa362e.jpg

My son approves. :)
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll81/DKazrolla/75cb32be.jpg

Nitro_Alltrac
06-16-2010, 10:38 PM
Nice!

Siyx
06-16-2010, 10:54 PM
Very nice, welcome to the board.

UtahSleeper
06-16-2010, 11:23 PM
Looks clean. Nice score.