PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Forum Steet Car Challenge in Modified

Nitro_Alltrac
06-06-2010, 01:59 AM
I just picked up the July issue of Modified. In the editorial column he started off talking about wanting to revive the Ultimate Street Car Challenge that used to reside in Sport Compact Car. Now they've decided to go a slightly different direction. They are wanting to get together a representatives from the various interweb forums and run a challenge.

The idea sounds pretty cool. If you haven't read the column, check it out. I'd post it but I don't have a scanner here.

Do we have anybody that could represent Celicatech? It could be a chance to show that Celicas are cool cars and deserve more coverage. He doesn't go into detail on how they are going to do it but it is going to be more than just a performance run-off so the field should be somewhat level.

It's something to think about. We've been getting ticked off lately about the bad coverage we've gotten in some of the press. This would be a chance to show otherwise.

Murgatroy
06-06-2010, 02:08 AM
Bug's Car would be close I guess. Princess is pretty, but as much as it pains me to say it, she is underpowered for what she would be hit with.

If Bugs could get tuned, his car would be the most competitive I could think of on short notice.

Then I could drive it. :hehe:

Nitro_Alltrac
06-06-2010, 03:57 AM
I'd like to see the rules/set up to see how it's going to be run. I'm sure that all out power is going to be a big part of it. I'd like to see the other aspects though.

I'll check the Modified site and see if they have anything up.

pinoyGT4
06-06-2010, 07:15 AM
only one rep for each site? hmm..

ChrisD's 165 will kick ass too IMHO.. :D

CriScO
06-06-2010, 08:04 AM
I could destroy everyone with the mad power of the 3S-FE.

4thgenceli
06-06-2010, 08:28 AM
Or a 215 powered 162...

85gtsblackman
06-06-2010, 08:31 AM
if buggs could get his car not to overheat.....

if i had time and money to swap a 2jzgte, id decimate

Nitro_Alltrac
06-06-2010, 02:10 PM
Nothing posted up on their website yet.

pinoyGT4
06-06-2010, 03:34 PM
so many great celicas (and mr2s) here.. soo hard to choose... :fluffy:

Murgatroy
06-06-2010, 03:36 PM
Regardless of the MR2 owners on the board, the name is Celicatech, which means we would have to send a Celica.
:hehe:

pinoyGT4
06-06-2010, 03:51 PM
Regardless of the MR2 owners on the board, the name is Celicatech, which means we would have to send a Celica.
:hehe:

yup.. i just dont wanna disregard the mr2s.. hehe!!

Slider
06-08-2010, 04:16 AM
Royal Purple is doing a mini version of this, http://www.theforumwars.tv/next-season-entry.html

ChrisD
06-08-2010, 06:06 PM
Unfortunately I could not come close to competing without a different turbo.

Bugs has quite a bit on me.

Princess is a good example of a beautiful gt4 restoration, but not much in the high performance category...I'd bet we'd need to be well north of 300whp, probably north of 400whp, and even still we have examples north of 600whp.

Flying Bajan owns the car that first got me into Celicas. However he's on a hybrid ct20b and is probably only in the ~300whp range, possibly a tad more. But it's been set up very well.

Mafix has done a boat load, very decent power from his car. Although possibly his body mods are too much for some peoples taste.

alwayzsidewayz has a cool car. It gets bonus points for actually being raced in more than a straight line. haha

Pat C. has the highest powered GT4 that we've seen in North America. If someone could take the win, it would be him. However he's not on this board.

Sifu has a wicked build going on, not sure if he'll finish this century tho. :hehe:

tjdouble07 aka Trevor stands a fair chance. His car is awesome and is the only real threat I've seen to breaking Pat C's North American record. However, he still has zero posts here although is registered.

I'm sure there are a lot of folks that don't post a whole lot that would make good examples. Failing that there are some UK folks that could make an impact like Andy Ashby and Pete Taylor, which both have gt4's in the 11's. Oh yeah and Bill Price, always loved his car but haven't seen him in ages...

BabyBear
06-08-2010, 06:16 PM
I'll likely be seeing Trevor(tjdouble07) this Saturday, I'll have to yell at him to post more on here.

UtahSleeper
06-08-2010, 06:24 PM
Looking forward to seeing that beast, if he has enough corn juice to bring it.

karl
06-08-2010, 11:00 PM
i wish they'd more closely follow the way FSAE does their competitions, using both static and dynamic elements.

all out HP would only count for a fraction of the total score.

i'd like to see:

STATIC (judged by actual engineers, not magazine writers or "grandma."
- design creativity
- fabrication skill
- HP (emphasis on usable power rather than peak numbers)
- and for the love of god, COST@!!! anyone can bolt on a bajillion dollars worth of parts. he who can do the most with the least deserves major points.

DYNAMIC
- acceleration (1/4 mile, obviously)
- skidpad (figure-8 style)
- autocross (low speed)
- braking, 100-0, average distance for 5 consecutive stops.
- endurance (let's see that dyno queen last 10 laps at road america), with finishers ranked by total time, fastest lap and total fuel consumed.

with the competitions weighted toward endurance (who cares how fast it is if it lasts 2 laps? if you can't finish, you can't win) and cost/creativity.

Hookecho
06-09-2010, 12:53 AM
this would be really cool to see. i wonder where the competition would take place.

pinoyGT4
06-09-2010, 01:44 AM
what if they hold the competition on the dragon with Keiichi Tsuchiya and Manabu Orido as two of the drivers to run them? :biggthumpup:

Murgatroy
06-09-2010, 02:19 AM
what if they hold the competition on the dragon with Keiichi Tsuchiya and Manabu Orido as two of the drivers to run them? :biggthumpup:

Then I would enter Chaos and have a chance.

pinoyGT4
06-09-2010, 03:37 AM

then that would be great!

anyways..

still no updated rules etc? :(

Nitro_Alltrac
06-09-2010, 10:48 PM
I checked the web site a couple of days a go. Nothing yet.

Chaos kicking ass on the Dragon would be great. I can see it now, all of these hot, shiny rides and Chaos comes out named the winner. That would be classic.

Hipster Lawrence
06-10-2010, 01:00 AM

Hell my can run with the big boys on the dragon. I could only imagine how it will handle on konis and coilovers.

CriScO
06-10-2010, 06:45 AM
I'm telling you guys, 18 second 3S-FE pwns all... :hehe:

We just need Vip to drive it.

Colossus20v
06-10-2010, 07:16 AM
I read this in the magazine when it arrived at my door stop. Made me want to go buy Geebes car and enter it as the CelicaTech car, but thought the entry would probably need to be AWD so it could play with the EVO's/STi's and all.

Either way, it would be cool to see someone entered for celicas, whether it be CelicaTech or NewCelica or whatever celica site wanted to enter. Getting recognition would be cool.

hmmm. Geebes is only asking $6500.....pondering....pondering... ;)

The Captain
06-10-2010, 01:16 PM
Princess is pretty, but as much as it pains me to say it, she is underpowered for what she would be hit with.

It's ok Murgypoo, I never intended for her to be a power monster. She's just a corner carver and I'm ok with that. I like the word "optimized". She'd fall easily to a snot nosed rich kid with a tricked out Evo. Princess is a senior citizen! It's a car that's one of a thousand, not one of a bazillion. She knows you love her, and that's all she needs.

With a little bit of sorting, Bugs' alltrac might stand a chance. What would really make it interesting is if they did this type of challenge with an old school category. Pitting a 1985 Celica to an NSX is silly. Maybe an $8,000 limit. I dunno. It's the old adage, he with the most money wins. To me longevity and performance is most important. 1000hp Supras don't last long, but it makes people buy magazines.

Keep us posted, Nitro!

Mafix
06-10-2010, 04:01 PM
i wish they'd more closely follow the way FSAE does their competitions, using both static and dynamic elements.

all out HP would only count for a fraction of the total score.

i'd like to see:

STATIC (judged by actual engineers, not magazine writers or "grandma."
- design creativity
- fabrication skill
- HP (emphasis on usable power rather than peak numbers)
- and for the love of god, COST@!!! anyone can bolt on a bajillion dollars worth of parts. he who can do the most with the least deserves major points.

DYNAMIC
- acceleration (1/4 mile, obviously)
- skidpad (figure-8 style)
- autocross (low speed)
- braking, 100-0, average distance for 5 consecutive stops.
- endurance (let's see that dyno queen last 10 laps at road america), with finishers ranked by total time, fastest lap and total fuel consumed.

with the competitions weighted toward endurance (who cares how fast it is if it lasts 2 laps? if you can't finish, you can't win) and cost/creativity.

interesting thing here. if they did something like this it would have to be an alltrac. acceleration would be either pat of trevor. hands down. after those two it would be hopes and prayers that a FWD car doesn't break apart. braking would be best in a ABS FWD with upgraded brakes (and not just 185 brakes, real upgrades) and i don't know of anyone off hand. skid pad and autocross would be best in one of the many st165 autocross cars on here (most of them have better suspension than the 185 guys). endurance would be best in a FMIC or preferably n/a car. chassis doesn't matter.

cost would boot out most of the AWD cars. HP would be he who runs the most boost. fabrication would go to anyone with a cage, serious suspension work, swapped, ect. and design would go to the pretiest car.

all in all i'd say trevor or pat. but it's so diverse that most of the cars on here could compete. i'd honestly love to do something like this. mabye a forum competition to find the best (and active) member and car?

Sifu
06-10-2010, 06:56 PM
Maybe you guys can all come over and help me build her up then. I keed'! She loves money and isn't shy about it. My project is geared towards balance but again there are so much stuff to get. I'd rather not think about it because it makes me sad.

If I were to nominate it would be Pat, Trevor, Marteen, Muerz, James Unger and lastly (secret weapon) Ryan. Ryan has a killer build (his login is RM32r, sorry on my crappy iPhone). I am quite envious of it actually because he stole all my ideas. I keed' I keed'!

pinoyGT4
06-11-2010, 06:58 AM
hmm.. so having said that we can find a car that would be the one to compete..

should we choose another driver to match the car? :D

team work is teh shiz! :biggthumpup:

tjdouble07
06-20-2010, 10:21 PM
I'll likely be seeing Trevor(tjdouble07) this Saturday, I'll have to yell at him to post more on here.

Haha, I'll have to start getting on here more. I look around occasionally but don't really post up anything.

BTW, you should come out to the track on Friday... Got a new fuel pump and plan on seeing what the Celica can do on 38-40 psi and corn juice. :-)