PDA

View Full Version : Cobra heat exchanger mounting

Nitro_Alltrac
06-05-2010, 05:15 PM
Anybody here used the stock Mustang Cobra heat exchanger for their WTA setup? I'm talking about the stock Garrett core. If so, how did you mount it to the car? I'm getting ready to put WTA in and need some ideas for mounting heat exchanger. Ford used a really bizzare mounting bracket arrangement on the Mustang and it's almost $250 bucks. The stock core, unlike the aftermarket replacements does not have any mounting tabs. It's going to require brackets of some sort or something else. Anybody have experience with these?

Shadowlife25
06-06-2010, 09:30 AM
Between the radiator and the area in the cooling plate in front Mike.
Take your measurements on the car for the mount points and have tabs welded by a shop with a TIG.

Nitro_Alltrac
06-06-2010, 02:20 PM
Thanks Mario.

I found a thread over at AT.Net where a guy had riveted the mounting brackets to the heat exchanger. That worked pretty well. You just have to use short rivets. I may try that.

I like the shot of you car in your sig. Looks really good.

Shadowlife25
06-06-2010, 09:36 PM
How did the rivet thing work out? It didn't damage the HE at all? No leaks?
Sorry, I'm just having a bit of trouble picturing it.

Thanks Mike, :) I figure I should put her up again. Just need some new wheels now..

Nitro_Alltrac
06-06-2010, 10:51 PM
Here's a link to his thread Mario. The top and bottom plate are solid. It takes a short rivet but it looked like it worked no problem.

http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=37871

ChrisD
06-07-2010, 12:43 AM
I'll see if I can get some pics of my heat exchanger mounts. I also don't have any tabs. Basically used flat AL stock on top and bottom on both sides, and used a threaded rod with nuts holding it together. That gave me something to use to attach mounts. No welding required, cost a few bucks from Home Depot for supplies. Hard to explain but I'll get some pics. :)

Nitro_Alltrac
06-07-2010, 02:33 AM
That would be great Chris. I was thinking of doing that. Pictures would be a big help.

lalojamesliz
06-08-2010, 08:19 AM
So is your st205 I/C system installed yet?

Nitro_Alltrac
06-08-2010, 11:52 PM
Not yet. I hope to get it on in the next couple of weeks. I'm working out how to install the Cobra heat exchanger and I have to get a fused junction block for the power. It won't be long though.

darthripley
06-09-2010, 04:30 AM
if you need any help with the junction box feel free to hit up Joe & he can help with how he did the wiring etc. on our setup.
just remember to make the pump the lowest part of the system for the best results.

you have the cell # so feel free to call or text if you need emergency help anytime.

Nitro_Alltrac
06-09-2010, 10:47 PM
Joe was kind enough to send me the diagram which I have in my hot little hand. That thing is excellent. After I get the junction block, it will be no problem wiring it up.

Shadowlife25
06-10-2010, 05:33 AM
Yeah, Joe is a nice fella. :)

ChrisD
06-15-2010, 02:54 PM
Here are my mounts that I tried to describe. A bit dirty, but should give you a view to what I did at least.

It is bolted to my fog light mount, however you could do something similar or even use an L bracket as one of the top/bottom bars to bolt to whatever what convenient, possibly the bumper crash bar. Any Q's, let me know.

:)

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/4/he_mount2.jpg

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/4/he_mount1.jpg

Nitro_Alltrac
06-16-2010, 12:34 AM
Thanks Chris! That's another very good way to mount it. I'll look it that.

Nitro_Alltrac
06-26-2010, 03:01 AM
Picked up the stuff tonight to get started making the brackets like Chris. I'm planning on taking a lot of pictures and doing a write up. I know I've had to piece things together for the 205 WTA swap.