PDA

View Full Version : Remote start kits and car alarm kits

RedRkt01
05-30-2010, 11:23 PM
Fellas and gals, I am interested in retrofitting one of Toyota's stock alarm systems onto my old Celica. I also want to get a remote start system going on it. Has anyone tried this? What are the pitfalls? I know I'll be doing a bunch of wiring. What might I be without on the ST162 that the system would want to wire into? Let get started on those types of questions.

I'm pretty intent on using Toyota products, so please refrain from the gratuitous 'why don't you try something else' suggestion. I already have a framework of an idea so this is more or less a discussion thread pulling everyone's knowledge together. Thanks in advance.

-K

Conrad_Turbo
06-02-2010, 07:00 PM
"What are the pitfalls?"

There are much better aftermarket solutions out there with far better range, better alarm monitoring and with more features. If you're going to the extent of adding a remote start system, why not just add an aftermarket remote start/alarm combo?

Does the OEM alarm system have a remote start capability? How are you going to send that signal from the OEM keyfob to the OEM alarm system?

RedRkt01
06-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the refrain. Yes, Toyota has a remote start system. And lots of aftermarket systems go off if you breathe on them to hard. I don't want to piss off the neighbors everytime a motorcycle goes by or something of the like. I know the Toyota system works will for those who have it; Hence my intent. Besides, these aren't the pitfalls I'm asking about.

alltracNyx
06-02-2010, 09:32 PM
The factory Toyota remote starts shut off when you open the door to get in...so in essence, everytime you remote start the car, you will be starting it a second time when you get outside. Do you have a specific model number for the unit you are looking to install? Is it going to be a remote start and alarm combo, or two separate parts, one for the oem remstart and another for the oem alarm?

On the aftermarket sensitivity, they only go off when you breathe on them IF they are set up that way. But I can respect your point since the majority of people do set them up like that...

RedRkt01
06-02-2010, 10:04 PM
That is an excellent example of a pitfall, albeit not about installation and retrofitability. How is it that the remote start system forces another start? Should you be able to open the door, insert key and turn to on position, and go? Something tells me that what you're describing might be a wiring issue. That is my hope.....

I was thinking a single unit so as not to carry around a bazillion keyfob remotes. I was also comtemplating one of the keyless entry systems if I get a ton of cash to burn. that would be pretty cool too.

alltracNyx
06-03-2010, 02:29 AM
It's actually the way the OEM units are set up to operate. If you were doing just a Toyota remote start and not an alarm too, you'd probably be able to get around this by not hooking up the door trigger wire. But since you're doing an alarm as well, then you want this wire to be hooked up because it's the input to the alarm brain to set off the alarm if your door is opened while it's armed. It's a safety mechanism for the car to not be stolen, along with the brake pedal trigger.

Aftermarket units don't shut off when the door is opened, just if you press the brake before the key is in the ignition. You can open the door, put the key to the on position and go, just like you said. I'm not sure if all Toyota units do this, which is why it would be handy to get a hold of the owners/install guide to the unit you intend to install. It might be a programmable option that can be turned off, but I don't know too much about the OEM ones offhand. With an install guide, I'd be able to give you a better idea of what you might run into. I've only ever had aftermarket remstart/alarms in my cars. And no, I don't have them set to go off when the wind blows :P

RedRkt01
06-03-2010, 02:30 PM
I'll see if I can't grab a copy of the manual.

Conrad_Turbo
06-03-2010, 05:24 PM
Just find a remote start/alarm system you want to use and find the wiring diagram for that vehicle. Figure out all the inputs and outputs and then begin soldering. Really it's the same as an aftermarket system, just that it's OEM and you have to figure out the pinouts from a wiring diagram as opposed to an installer manual.

Tecker184
06-04-2010, 01:57 AM
I want to do the same thing its just not at the top of the list. I am also very firm on wanting a OEM unit. I only want keyless entry don't care about the alarm. But from what i read its just like wiring up an after market unit. I want something that will last the test of time. I have had several after market units before that were professionally installed fail. OEM is the only way to go in my eyes.

alltracNyx
06-04-2010, 04:06 AM
Doing a keyless entry unit install (OEM or aftermarket) should probably be no more than ten wires, maybe even as few as 6 or 7. That should be a piece of cake :)