PDA

View Full Version : rear toe adjustment

aye87
05-30-2010, 05:47 PM
hello
how is rear toe adjustment be achieve?
i loosen the bolt but i cant see anything that can be move around, i see a circle steel plate with a hole on top, dont know how
thank you

The Captain
05-30-2010, 11:36 PM
Assuming you have a FF Celica, There are two plastic covers about 4" by 5" under the center in front of the spare tire well. Pull those off. You'll see two concentric nuts that adjust the aft arms. Loosen the bolt head on the outside, turn the concentric nut to adjust. When you've reached the desired adjustment, HOLD the nut and tighten the bolt.

aye87
05-31-2010, 01:37 AM
which one is for adjusting, the nut inside plastic black cover or the outside bolt?
reason for posting this because the last guy who worked on it stripped both of the inside nut
i had frustration time finding replacement for them

METDeath
05-31-2010, 09:31 AM
The nut inside, the outside one simply holds it in place.

Galcobar
05-31-2010, 09:34 AM
The outside nut is actually not just a nut, it's a eccentric cam -- the bolt goes through the cam and holds the nut.

The arms running in pairs from the centre of the chassis to the wheels are called suspension arms. The rear of each pair is the No. 2 suspension arm. It is by adjusting the eccentric cam on the No. 2 arm that you change toe settings.

As The Captain described, you loosen the nuts on the No. 2 arm -- reached by pulling off the plastic cover. There's no need to touch the forward (No. 1) arm.

I got to be painfully familiar with the suspension arms when tracking down a clunk, which led to me eventually swapping to sixth-gen No. 2 arms and their threaded toe adjuster.

The Captain
05-31-2010, 02:22 PM
Best thing you can do is hold the inside nut, loosen the bolt and remove the whole assembly. You'll see how it works.

TomsGT4
05-31-2010, 03:41 PM
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/2978/atsusp.jpg

I've also always been curious how those "eccentric cams" actually change toe when rotated. The pic is from when I did the R&R for the rear subframe.
Basically, I just bring it to the alignment shop when back together.

Galcobar
06-01-2010, 12:50 AM
All-tracs are a bit different from NA Celicas -- bushings rather than spherical bearings on the outside.

Anyway, the eccentric cam works pretty much the same way as your wheel lug nuts. Think of the your wheel as the round plate of the cam, which when assembled into the car is held in place by those metal tabs on either side of the brace (pictured below).
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/5/0/7/No.2frame.jpg

Notice the hole in the brace is not round. This is because the bolt holding the actual suspension arm is offset slightly from the centre of the plate, much like a lug nut is off-centre of a wheel.

Imagine you pulled all the lug nuts off your wheel but one. Now turn the wheel -- the lug nut travels in a circle. The eccentric cam works the same way -- turning the cam plate causes the bolt holding the suspension arm to travel in a circle around the centre. In doing so, it pulls the suspension arm either in towards the body or pushes it out towards the wheel. This twists the axle carrier, which is the definition of toe adjustment.

KoreanJoey
06-01-2010, 06:48 AM
If it's a 6th gen it'll have an adjustable tie rod in the rearward (I think, or maybe forward) arm with a lock nut. Loosen the locknut and rotate the arm for adjustment.

Galcobar
06-01-2010, 08:44 AM
Sixth-gen is indeed the No. 2 (rearward) arm as well -- every Toyota I've seen which uses suspension arms seems to have the toe adjuster on the No. 2 arm.

TomsGT4
06-02-2010, 03:42 AM
Thanks Galcobar, nice description.
When I was taking everything apart the adjustment cam was seized to the assembly, and took lots of hammering & PB Blaster to get it to turn the cam plate, which caused it and the bolt to get stripped a little.
This was about 7 years ago, and the alignment shop put it all back proper at the time. I was expecting them to tell me I needed to replace the cam/bolt, but no.
I've had the rear end aligned a few times since, and no shop had complained.
Kind of out of sight, out of mind since then. Now I'm starting to wonder if I should pull the arms & change out those parts...
Dammit, why do I read these threads, just cause me more work :baaa:

aye87
06-02-2010, 03:19 PM
it is junk yard or dealer item
and doesnt the camber adjustment bolt look the same way too?
some of them are on lateral link instead on the strut itself?
im confused with the camber and toe plate, they look almost the same
i need to read more book

Galcobar
06-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Camber is not adjusted on the suspension arms. Toe is adjusted on the suspension arms, whether it's an eccentric cam or a threaded adjuster.

KoreanJoey
06-03-2010, 06:50 AM
There is no factory adjustment for camber in the rear except for the play in the hub mounting bolts...