PDA

View Full Version : 3sgte swap in FWD 86 GT

ericfragola
05-29-2010, 08:50 PM
ok so this is my first post and i see that poeople are very respectful and helpful on this site. i have a few simple questions i need clarified. if anyone could help answer, or send me in the right directions to another forum thats already discussed that topis, then please let me know:biggthumpup:

ok so first off, im a proud owner of an 86 celica. got it COMPLETELY stock. since then ive done some nice mods to it. being that im only 17, i feel pretty damn accomplished! the mods include, paint, stereo, interior, neons, all that good stuff :D anyways heres my cardomain site. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3326960/

my sites still being done and alot isnt added, such as the reupholstered backseats, black and red rear interior, solid strut bar in the trunk, fiberglassed alpine type R. etc!

anyways, everyone and anyone who knows what the 2SE is, well you know its CRAP :wacko:

and we all know that the famous 3SGTE is the most potent 4cylinder toyotas made. so, my car has the looks of a race car (poeple want to race all the time) but it has the speed of a snail! :11doh: so, in order to cpmplete the true race car look, i want to be able to blow away all the competition. and not be laughed at anymore when my friends with camaros and what not blow me away. (as well as the typical honda ricers)

anyways, my questions for all you knowledgable people are what should i do? i know i can get the 3SGTE no problem, but finding the right trannys the problem. i dont want to have to mess with converting the started to the opposite side and all that crap.

from my understanding from research, there are a few options
1)3SFE or 5SFE tranny
2)E153
3)MR2 tranny
4)or the v6 camry or solara FWD trannys.

problem with 1 is that who knows how long theyll last, due to the power. (since im shooting for around mid 300s down the road). problem with 2, is its pretty rare, problem with 3 is i believe you have to change the side in which the starters on. andddd problem with 4, is no ones told me what year camry or solara to get the tranny from :zxflipoff: (dont worry, thats to all the other poeple on different forums that havent helped at all! lol)

and also, it seems that you have to change out the axles too? and what would be involved in doing an AWD conversion? or what about converting the AWD tranny to just FWD? can i just disconnect the drive shaft and call it a day? you all get where im coming from dont ya? :P so many questions! ahhh

any bit of info would help. i really appreciate the help guys! :biggthumpup:

these are just a few questions. as we progress in the discussion i will ahve more. thanks!

Shadowlife25
05-29-2010, 11:07 PM
To get you started: http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81

ericfragola
05-29-2010, 11:24 PM
I read the thread, I see what its saying and its main concern is to be specific. Well my mechanical background is a good one. I've had experience doing engine swaps so I'm not worried about it. It should only take 2-3days. My main concern is just that which tranny do I need? I want to stay FWD, since AWD conversions impractical.

Also, what would it take to convert the AWD tranny to FWD? Would simply disconnecting the driveshaft and plugging the outlet be enough? Thanks guys!

Shadowlife25
05-29-2010, 11:40 PM
Well....
The link that I provided you has other links and answers many of the questions you have posed.
Did you look at any of the other links and actually read everything or did you just skim it?
Seems to me that there is much more information there to be absorbed and fully understood than would take 20 minutes bud.

Transmission choice is yours. I would recommend using a Solara trans or an MR2 transmission,
to ensure you can handle the stock 200hp/tq that the 3sgte puts out.

You WILL need to get the parts necessary to convert the transmission over to work in the Celica.
This has been discussed also.

Then, you have the issue of wiring, which has also been covered IN DEPTH.

The topic of axle choice and what to use for a hybrid axle is also covered.

Please take the time to fully read and understand all the information we have available here.
Then post back with questions of a more specific nature to help you on your way.

ericfragola
05-30-2010, 01:55 AM
Thanks, ill be sure to look more into it in depth. Right now I'm just on my phone, quick question, which year solara tranny do I use? Or which generation solara. I appreciate your understanding.

kevinkyang
05-30-2010, 04:10 AM
either go with the 2nd generation ge transmission. thats the one i have on my 3sfe. its great! :D you dont want the first generation ge tranny because of where the starter sits. it will block the turbo and what not. the fe tranny works great too! if you havent seen mafix's ride then you should. it has everything you need to know about the swap. you should sign up for st162.net very helpful site and its focused only on our 4th gens.
and what shadow said. make sure you do your research good. dont want any F**K ups man

Shadowlife25
05-30-2010, 07:59 AM
Kevin, I know you're trying to be helpful bro, but we try to not refer people off site for information we have here.

Mafix has a HUGE project thread here and all his info is in there.

We also have alot of folks that are quite knowledgeable about the 4th gen Celica as well.
Crisco comes to mind...

Also, it seems you're dead set on that Solara transmission for some reason.
While I don't personally have your answer, give it a few days bud.
It's Memorial Day weekend man. EVERYONE is gone on holiday.
Be patient and wait for an answer from someone who has the info you need.
Remeber, Rome wasn't built in a day. ;)

4thgenceli
05-30-2010, 08:04 AM
Thanks, ill be sure to look more into it in depth. Right now I'm just on my phone, quick question, which year solara tranny do I use? Or which generation solara. I appreciate your understanding.
It would be easier to find a mr2 transmission to be honest. mr2oc has them pop up for sale frequently, sometimes you'll luck out and get one w/ a LSD unit installed.

ericfragola
05-30-2010, 08:58 AM
Also, it seems you're dead set on that Solara transmission for some reason.
While I don't personally have your answer, give it a few days bud.
It's Memorial Day weekend man. EVERYONE is gone on holiday.
Be patient and wait for an answer from someone who has the info you need.
Remeber, Rome wasn't built in a day. ;)

i know rome wasnt built in a day, neither were any celicas. well maybe the manufacturing part, but not the design! lol. ive been researching this swap for a while and now im really cracking down on how to do it since i have the money for the engine and tranny. also, the money coming in from family due to my graduation will be greatky appreciated ;)

and im not set on the solara tranny, it just sounded simple since its already a FWD and will bolt up. ya know? as far as that goes, i havent even looked for one yet lol. but if an MR2 trannys the way to go, then what exactly would i have to do to make it work for my FWD? im sure someones used the MR2 trannys before. anyone know a post that has all the info on converting the MR2s tranny over to my celica? or would you be so kind as to help me? :boobies:

woohoo holiday weekend! too bad all my car buddies are out of town with their families :P i guess ill just continue my interior mods for now to kill some time.

my goal is to get this swap done within a month or 2.

ohh! and an offnote, i heard that since the 94-99 3SGTE was never released in america, if i were to out it in my car, it wouldnt pass visual smog. even though japanese are alot stricter on their emmisions :thumbsdown: so with that in mind (if its true) i guess ill go for the 90-93 3SGTE (a little more oomph than the 1st gen ;) )

4thgenceli
05-30-2010, 09:22 AM
i know rome wasnt built in a day, neither were any celicas. well maybe the manufacturing part, but not the design! lol. ive been researching this swap for a while and now im really cracking down on how to do it since i have the money for the engine and tranny. also, the money coming in from family due to my graduation will be greatky appreciated ;)

and im not set on the solara tranny, it just sounded simple since its already a FWD and will bolt up. ya know? as far as that goes, i havent even looked for one yet lol. but if an MR2 trannys the way to go, then what exactly would i have to do to make it work for my FWD? im sure someones used the MR2 trannys before. anyone know a post that has all the info on converting the MR2s tranny over to my celica? or would you be so kind as to help me? :boobies:

woohoo holiday weekend! too bad all my car buddies are out of town with their families :P i guess ill just continue my interior mods for now to kill some time.

ohh! and an offnote, i heard that since the 94-99 3SGTE was never released in america, if i were to out it in my car, it wouldnt pass visual smog. even though japanese are alot stricter on their emmisions :thumbsdown: so with that in mind (if its true) i guess ill go for the 90-93 3SGTE (a little more oomph than the 1st gen ;) )
You are correct. Since the solara transmission is already FWD, that makes it that much easier to use. You will still need some other parts though.

Hybrid axles: MR2 inners and Alltrac shafts and outers
-need to be careful of which inners to get, you may need LSD or the non-LSD depending on if the e153 has LSD, and what type it is.

Alltrac tranny cross-member
-this is not really needed, I did my swap with my 162 crosssmember.

Alltrac shifter cables.
-Again, not sure if really needed as to me it looks like the 162 and 165 cables are the same.

Alltrac tranny top and rear mounts.
-Yes, you need these for sure.

The MR2 transmission conversion is really not that difficult. If you have a grinder, tap/dies, and BFH you can do it. You cut off the gear selector, unbolt the cap, knock out the assembly, put in the st185 assembly, drill new holes and tap them for the other selector (that sits on the tranny case), bolt on the other alltrac parts and you're done. It's really not hard.

Check my project thread, I have some pictures in there of my transmission I'm using a 93+ mr2 turbo e153 transmission.

Also, here's a thread about where I decided for the e153.
http://celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43924

Honestly, I would give more time for the swap. I thought I was going to be done in 3 or 4 months, turns out there were delays with my harness (busy time for the shop), and my sock monster. I'm about 7 months into it, and I'm hoping to finish by end of summer, but really my deadline is December (so I can get it to the 2011 Dragon).

ohh! and an offnote, i heard that since the 94-99 3SGTE was never released in america, if i were to out it in my car, it wouldnt pass visual smog. even though japanese are alot stricter on their emmisions so with that in mind (if its true) i guess ill go for the 90-93 3SGTE (a little more oomph than the 1st gen )

Correct. The st205 and st215 were never released in the States. While you can go with the st185 swap (90-93), keep in mind that if you buy from an engine importer changes are that engine set is going to be a JDM unit lacking the USDM emissions hardware. Some importers do have USDM versions, however I gave up on my search for one a long time ago.

I've heard that the St185 swap in the st162 is a kick in the pants. You can get the JDM st185, and then have faux emissions so it'll pass visuals, or convert it to USDM with the needed parts (usually easier to just buy a USDM head and swap out various parts needed, I have no clue what's needed). Since you're in Hellifornia, you'll prolly not be able to fake the emissions equipment.

ericfragola
05-30-2010, 09:44 AM
The MR2 transmission conversion is really not that difficult. If you have a grinder, tap/dies, and BFH you can do it. You cut off the gear selector, unbolt the cap, knock out the assembly, put in the st185 assembly, drill new holes and tap them for the other selector (that sits on the tranny case), bolt on the other alltrac parts and you're done. It's really not hard.!

so all youre saing is that i need to hack at the transmission and replace the guts? lol. its not that im up for the task, i would just prefer to do something simpler. the solara is soundin pretty nice right now that youve scared me off with your list of things to do to convert the MR2 tranny :eek4dance: lol

Honestly, I would give more time for the swap. I thought I was going to be done in 3 or 4 months, turns out there were delays with my harness (busy time for the shop), and my sock monster. I'm about 7 months into it, and I'm hoping to finish by end of summer, but really my deadline is December (so I can get it to the 2011 Dragon).!

well this car is my daily driver and i cant be out of a car for that long! :wacko: its gonna be summer soon! theres gonna be so many races and meets i need to go to! lol

and as for what year engine im gonna get, ill just go with the 2nd gen 90-93. itll pass california smog and still be a rocket.especially since im going to eventually redo the entire boost system.

would you happen to have pics of your swap? gotta love celicas!:biggthumpup:

4thgenceli
05-30-2010, 10:10 AM
so all youre saing is that i need to hack at the transmission and replace the guts? lol. its not that im up for the task, i would just prefer to do something simpler. the solara is soundin pretty nice right now that youve scared me off with your list of things to do to convert the MR2 tranny :eek4dance: lol

You don't need to tear it complete apart unless you fuck up like I did and knock shit into the tranny.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/celiman89/rwd_e153.jpg

Remove big back plate sitting on top.

See the blue carrot above the yellow marks? Remove that. Take this part from the alltrac tranny, and put it where the other blue marking is.

See the yellow vertical line? Remove that boot, and cut that shaft. The yellow horizontal line should fall loose.

Remove the breather and set pin in big black oval. Remove 4x bolts in black oval. knock out that assembly (make sure transmission is in neutral). Install alltrac shift selector assembly.

Plug up hole you made on other side with freeze plug (1.2" freeze plug will do the trick).

Install alltrac shift cable bracket in smaller black circle.

Here's the un-modified picture for comparison.

http://ourlewisfamily.net/gallery/../content/g1/Jasmine/normal_rwd_e153.JPG (http://ourlewisfamily.net/gallery/../content/g1/Jasmine/rwd_e153.JPG)

ericfragola
05-30-2010, 10:26 AM
Remove the breather and set pin in big black oval. Remove 4x bolts in black oval. knock out that assembly (make sure transmission is in neutral). Install alltrac shift selector assembly.

so the big black oval is the bottom one and the black oval is the top one, correct?

well you know what they say! a pictures worth a thousand words! and man oh man has that helped. i guess you could say im running back towards the MR2 tranny? thankkkk youuuuu! :bowdown: lol

so, my questions are slowly being answered. i know which tranny ill use, i know which year engine im gonna use. now only a few remain.one would be regarding the axles, as 4thgenceli stated i need hybrid axles. a little more clarification on that topic please? i know that i need MR2 inners and Alltrac shafts and outers. but what would i ask for at the counter of somewhere such as autozone? (or any auto parts store):thinking:

4thgenceli
05-30-2010, 10:38 AM
< puts on Mario's hat

Talk to Josh at CRW (Chico Race Works).

< takes off Mario's hat

Shadowlife25
05-30-2010, 11:48 AM
< puts on Mario's hat

< takes off Mario's hat

Good advice there.
Seems that Mario? fella is okay after all. ;)

ericfragola
05-30-2010, 04:56 PM
< puts on Mario's hat

< takes off Mario's hat

im not gettin the mario hat thing...

4thgenceli
06-02-2010, 12:53 AM
im not gettin the mario hat thing...
It's an inside joke between Mario, Luni, and myself (maybe a few other members too).

ericfragola
06-02-2010, 01:07 AM
I see, but do you get what im asking about the tranny? i understand that i need to mix and match the axels inners and outers. but what would i ask for at the parts store?

Grot
06-02-2010, 01:16 AM
Call Josh at CRW, he can hook you up with the axel combo you need.

Autozone probably wont have what your looking for.

The toyota dealership may be able to get the axels as well.

ericfragola
06-02-2010, 01:33 AM
I doubt autozone would have the combo :P I wanted to know what I needed to make the combo myself though, that's what I was asking. Such as: MR2 axle with the alltrac arm. See what I'm sayin?

4thgenceli
06-02-2010, 01:34 AM
Call Josh at CRW, he can hook you up with the axel combo you need.

Autozone probably wont have what your looking for.

The toyota dealership may be able to get the axels as well.
Ding ding ding.

If you goto a parts store, you'll need to buy a set of axles for a MR2 turbo (lsd/non-LSD depending on if you have LSD or not and what type), and a set for a st165 (88-89 Alltrac).

Then you'll tear them apart, put the st165 outer shafts (that connect to the wheels), and the mr2 axle stubs (that connect to the transmission) together. For cheaper than that (or at least for me), you can have Josh at CRW build you a set.

ericfragola
06-02-2010, 04:18 AM
Is there any cutting and welding welding involved (in the tearing apart stage)? Or does the outer shafts from the alltrac bolt up to the MR2 axels?

Shadowlife25
06-02-2010, 04:41 AM
Have you tried re-reading what has been posted?

Really curious. Seems that you continually keep repeating yourself well after the exact answers you are after have been given.

Remember how I asked you if you had actually read the threads I linked you to?

You said "YES I DID". Why did you say that if you obviously havent?
I do not appreciate being lied to or having my or another members time wasted.

Well, HERE (http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18245) is the answer to your axle question.

That ^^ was the third link in Post #1 in the swap thread.