PDA

View Full Version : Burning car

Love_c
05-28-2010, 02:07 AM
hi guys, my 4th gen celica has no a/c, it feelings like burning in hell when i get into the car under the sun. any tips to cool down the inside fast?

UtahSleeper
05-28-2010, 02:14 AM
AC!

Why doesn't your AC work? Have you investigated?

Could always get a fan that runs of the cigarette lighter....

Murgatroy
05-28-2010, 02:19 AM
Leave your windows cracked a hair, tint them.

AC is for wussies.

Nitro_Alltrac
05-28-2010, 02:52 AM
Does tinting really help that much? I've been thinking about it since I got to San Antonio but I had a 72 Monte Carlo that had the windows tinted and it was hard to see out of at night. It WV it wasn't that big of a deal for heat.

Murgatroy
05-28-2010, 02:58 AM
A professional tint job, with 20% or 80% (depending on how they measure it) is worthwhile.

Window tint is not just for looking cool or keeping others from seeing what you have.

Most places the legal limit is 20%/80% again, depending. 5% is just stupid IMO.

Going with the legal limit, done professionally with good tint, it won't blur or distort and it can lower temperatures significantly. Add in a sunscreen for when you are parked, and it is reasonable to expect 10-15% temperature reduction.

klapa
05-28-2010, 03:39 AM
A professional tint job, with 20% or 80% (depending on how they measure it) is worthwhile.

Window tint is not just for looking cool or keeping others from seeing what you have.

Most places the legal limit is 20%/80% again, depending. 5% is just stupid IMO.

Going with the legal limit, done professionally with good tint, it won't blur or distort and it can lower temperatures significantly. Add in a sunscreen for when you are parked, and it is reasonable to expect 10-15% temperature reduction.

Also it differs - among places - as to what you can tint.

Some allow everything but the front and rear windshields - others do not allow front side windows.

The people I know say that the tinting does nearly nil for the heat generated inside the car when parked.

Nitro_Alltrac
05-28-2010, 03:43 AM
If I do it, it will be a pro job. I spent a good while getting that nasty, half ass purple shit off the back window. Thanks for the input. I'm going to start checking around. I've got to get the AC fixed as well. I've got a leak some place. It leaks down in a couple of days. If figure it's an O ring.

Boycott!Swagger
05-28-2010, 03:48 AM
i just keep my windows completely open, also driving without a shirt on, that helps, then you can flex at all the honeys xD

Shadowlife25
05-28-2010, 03:50 AM
20% is legal in all 50 states, as it matches what most auto manufacturers use (35 or 20%)
The only variance as was suggested, is to which windows are legal to tint.
If you do 20% on all but the front windshield, you likely will have no problem.
Just be sure to look up the local laws for your state.

If you leave a window open just a 1/4" and use a screen like Murg said, it can make a large difference.
Leaving them cracked allows the 2 different areas (in car/outside) to equalize in temperature.
This means you are a bit less likely to torch yourself when you get in the car.

Nitro_Alltrac
05-28-2010, 03:57 AM
I've been leaving the sunroof cracked and the windows cracked a little and that does help. I remember that from my days in FL. It was supposed to rain yesterday so I had everything closed. I could tell a BIG difference when I hopped in yesterday afternoon. I've got to pick up a sun shade. I've been meaning too but haven't done it yet.

Oh, I need to leave my shirt on lest the other drivers crash from laughing when I flex.:bananarider:

Love_c
05-28-2010, 05:11 AM
thx for the info, really helpful :)

4thgenceli
05-28-2010, 06:27 AM
Y'all need to stop your bitching about getting in hot cars.

Tinted windows, cracking the windows, and screens are the ideal ways to avoid excess heat build up.

However, being in AZ and lived in parts where crime was high, tinted windows & cracked windows is an open invitation for your car to be broke into.

Typically when I come into my parked car from being outside, I'll usually open up a few doors, get it started, and fire up the blower to push the overly-hot air out and bring in the hot air. If I'm in a car with AC, I fire up the AC.

CriScO
05-29-2010, 05:35 AM
In the summer I call the cars my little black oven and my little red oven.

The hatchback is tinted, but gets way hotter than the coupe. I assume it's because of the blackness.

manbridge
05-29-2010, 03:20 PM
Lived and worked outside in Dallas for many years with no AC. Keeping my hair/face wet with a spray bottle helped a lot. I'd also keep a towel on my seat and change to a different shirt when getting out if needed. Icy drinks of a quart or more too.

Love_c
05-29-2010, 08:15 PM
I heard that if u mix alchol and water, ratio 1:10, and spray in the car will cool down the car.

pinoyGT4
05-30-2010, 03:20 PM
in tropical countries, such as here in philippines, tints are legal in all sides, shades and some others even double them..

yeah when you park your car outside under the sun it gets hot.. normally, anything does..

do what 4thgencelli said.. thats what i do also.. the tint wont prevent your car to not heat up if you park it outside, it just prevents your skin to be burnt while you're in the car.. plus, it helps the AC cool the inside of the car.. :D

Mega
05-31-2010, 02:48 AM
hi guys, my 4th gen celica has no a/c, it feelings like burning in hell when i get into the car under the sun. any tips to cool down the inside fast?

Put the top down? :p

DudeMan
05-31-2010, 04:04 AM
5% is just stupid IMO.

It is!

Ask me how I know...

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk284/dudemanxl420/P6010087.jpg

Was nice during the day and definitely helped keep the car cool but it wasn't very fun reversing out of a parking spot at night. Live and learn.

Love c, you could grab one of those little battery powered fans and clip it on your visor so its facing you. That's the only solution I can think of other than tint and AC.

187flatliner
05-31-2010, 05:01 PM
ive never had a problem reversing at night unless its in the middle of nowhere with no street lights. for some reason i can keep soda in the backseat and it will still be somewhat chill when i want to drink it. i have 5% all around and a 40% windshield ........