PDA

View Full Version : My exhaust

KM
05-27-2010, 05:16 AM
is fucked.

It's completely rusted out.

I went to cut out the rattling resonator, and before I got to it, me and a buddy noticed the muffler is completely loose from the pipe. Sawed off the two mounts, and it just slid right off.

On the bright side, it's open and loud, and completely defies all sound ordinances.

It wouldn't be such a pain if it wasn't welded together and needing to be sawed off piece by piece.

Shadowlife25
05-27-2010, 05:21 AM
O hai there! Glad you found your way back.:haha:

KM
05-27-2010, 05:25 AM
I've been busy getting drunks.

Shadowlife25
05-27-2010, 05:26 AM
So you a drunky munky now? :hehe:

KM
05-27-2010, 05:29 AM
When have I not been a lush?

But this has nothing to do with my exhaust, you nazi.

Shadowlife25
05-27-2010, 05:32 AM
Bah! Fine then... :(

Is the exhaust used in yours the stock 5s exhaust from after the 20V manifold?
Is it custom all the way?
Also, is the steel rusted so badly that it can not be welded, or can you have it repaired?

KM
05-27-2010, 05:36 AM
Bah! Fine then... :(

Is the exhaust used in yours the stock 5s exhaust from after the 20V manifold?
Is it custom all the way?
Also, is the steel rusted so badly that it can not be welded, or can you have it repaired?

You're the one who's all "get on topic, get on topic". haha

Well, there's a lot of rust damage to the underbody. Under the drivers seat, rear driver lift point... the exhaust has a broken weld between the cat and resonator, resonator has a busted baffle, and the muffler was completely torn from the pipe.

It's all welded together, who knows what the condition of the pipes are like.

I'd be better off just getting a new setup, but then again, is it really worth it?

The rust damage isn't as bad as some cars, but it's getting there.

MCcelica
05-27-2010, 05:49 AM
Get it now before the whole car is shot bro!

Shadowlife25
05-27-2010, 07:54 AM
If you can afford the $45, go to a pro paint shop and buy some Chassis Undercoat or POR15.

Remove all the rust you can and use the treatment on it. I personally prefer POR15, but it runs like $70 a quart. :ouch: !!!

For the exhaust, if it is mostly the standard 5s fare, find a better one at a wrecker.

KM
05-27-2010, 08:49 AM
I've got the resonator sawed out, and I've pulled the muffler off. Had to cut off the mounts that were welded to the muffler.

I've had the carpet and stuff out of the car for a month now (it was taken out the week before the dragon), have the drivers seat unbolted and sitting where the back seat usually is.
Took a hammer and smashed all the rusted floorboard. It widened it up a little, but it's about 1.5-2 inches by about 18 inches of hole now. Not too bad. Going to take an angle grinder to it and see what I'm working with, then saw another two inches off all sides. Then I suppose I'll pop-rivet new metal in, weld it into place, grind it down, seal it, and paint it up.

Gotta do the same thing to the rocker panel. The exterior metal sheet is in better condition than the interior sheet. Don't really know what I can do about that, structurally. That jack point is pretty much trashed. I can't put a jack on it to raise it from the rear, but it'll sit on a stand if I jack up the front first.

I just didn't expect that muffler to slide off like that. I only have a resonator, which is the wrong size.

It's gotten to the point where I really don't see myself being able to keep the celica.
I hate to say it, but my best option is to fix the rust and exhaust and sell it to some rich kid who I'm sure is just going to wrap it around a tree in a month.
But really, that's my best bet, 'cause physically, it's a gorgeous car with a great motor, and I've gotten offers upwards to $4000... I just didn't want to part with it.

But I totally will if I can buy a MR2 or All Trac.

Shadowlife25
05-27-2010, 10:05 AM
Seriously man? Weaksauce/

Call Cannon. Have him weld your shit up for a few bucks and know it's done right.
Paint with POR15. Replace the exhaust. Drive the damn car.

pinoyGT4
05-27-2010, 01:49 PM
look at the bright side, yours got rusted off.. mine flew off.. LOL

Murgatroy
05-27-2010, 03:23 PM
Exhaust?

Huh?

Mario, why would his car have any 5S components on it? It came with a 4A. It is an ST.

Rust is rust. It is serious business. Ask yourself if you are willing to go the whole way to fix it. Cut it out, put new metal in. Treat it. That is fixing it.

It is however not the death of a car. Chaos has rust. Thankfully she is not a beauty queen. Hers is not death causing, just ugly.

Hipster Lawrence
05-27-2010, 04:13 PM
$4,000?

Sell that shit. It's a nice car and all but damn. I'd sell the mr2 for $4000...maybe.

Shadowlife25
05-27-2010, 09:23 PM
ST?GT?Whatever.... :p
Stock exhaust, you know what I meant.

Also, yeah absolutely have someone (Like Cannon) fix it properly if you want to keep driving it.

Else, take the 4G's and buy something else you want more or is in better shape.

KM
05-28-2010, 09:05 AM
I'm fixing it either way.

I already have a new resonator and muffler sitting in the garage ready to be welded.
The exhaust and floorboard will have to be done with flex core, 'cause that's all I have.

I also knocked out the rust in my rocker panel... it's stable, even after cutting a chunk and sanding everything down.
I flooded the floorboard with aircraft remover to peel away the paint and all that sound deadener.
Going to pick up some sheet metal and tack it into place tomorrow.

KM
05-29-2010, 12:31 AM
Final summation, everything from the cat back needs to be replaced.

There's no difference between GT/GTS exhaust and ST exhaust routing, is there?

METDeath
05-29-2010, 04:41 PM
Final summation, everything from the cat back needs to be replaced.

There's no difference between GT/GTS exhaust and ST exhaust routing, is there?

Diameter of piping, that's it.