PDA

View Full Version : FMIC or TMIC with fan?

pinoyGT4
05-24-2010, 03:30 PM
im contemplating whether ill go with front mount intercooler or do the top mount with slim fan setup?

i saw the TMIC + fan in at.net and he was using that for drag runs.. forgot his handle though.. haha!

i dont wanna lose response and have lag, though if done correctly, the FMIC will perform well..

i dunno..
:feedback:
:nopity::thinking:

T-spoon
05-24-2010, 04:44 PM
As far as performance goes, a proper front mount setup is going to be better than any top mount ATA even with a fan. Keeping the top mount, IMO, is only a time and money decision (cause it's cheaper and takes a lot less time to slap a fan on top).

MCcelica
05-24-2010, 05:52 PM
I would also have to wonder about things like what you'd run the fan off of. Making the alternator work harder doesn't sound like much of a performance gainer to me. If it were me, I'd stick to the front mount.

pinoyGT4
05-24-2010, 06:46 PM
As far as performance goes, a proper front mount setup is going to be better than any top mount ATA even with a fan. Keeping the top mount, IMO, is only a time and money decision (cause it's cheaper and takes a lot less time to slap a fan on top).
hmm.. so no real performance gain?:thinking:

I would also have to wonder about things like what you'd run the fan off of. Making the alternator work harder doesn't sound like much of a performance gainer to me. If it were me, I'd stick to the front mount.

will that really be that big of a burden to the alternator?
plus, i wont run it always on.. it'll engage in sync with the rad fan.. :thinking:

vip09
05-24-2010, 07:13 PM
The top mount is pretty useless. Go with a front mount. One of the best things I did to my Alltrac!

joe's gt
05-24-2010, 07:21 PM
Throw a frying pan on there and cook some eggs. That's the ONLY thing the top mount is useful for.

Here in Cali I can only drive my car 10 minutes on the freeway when the temps are high before my ecu starts pulling my timing and limiting boost.

pinoyGT4
05-24-2010, 07:36 PM
The top mount is pretty useless. Go with a front mount. One of the best things I did to my Alltrac!
well i guess i should take it from you? hhehehehehe!

Throw a frying pan on there and cook some eggs. That's the ONLY thing the top mount is useful for.

Here in Cali I can only drive my car 10 minutes on the freeway when the temps are high before my ecu starts pulling my timing and limiting boost.
and you guys have 4 seasons... here in PI, heat soak is as rampant as heat stroke.. :nopity:

anyways, im asking this also in behalf of my friend here who's driving an aw11 mr2 with 4agze..
he is mid engined (we all know that im sure) so FMIC is not an option for him.. so we're kinda looking into this.. :thinking:

thanks to all who've responded and thanks in advance to others who'll still comment.. :D

Mafix
05-24-2010, 08:45 PM
mr2 = wta setup
celica = fmic

ChrisD
05-25-2010, 03:49 AM
Yep, if time and money are not limitations, go FMIC! The fan is an inexpensive way to slightly improve the stock IC's ability to withstand heat soak.

pinoyGT4
05-25-2010, 04:31 AM
mr2 = wta setup
celica = fmic

oh nice input!
but has anyone done a wta setup in a 4agze engine on an aw11 mr2?:thinking:

Yep, if time and money are not limitations, go FMIC! The fan is an inexpensive way to slightly improve the stock IC's ability to withstand heat soak.

thanks for the input chris.. :biggthumpup:

soooooooooo, looks like FMIC is the only way to go huh... :thinking:
oh well, i guess its time to butcher my JDM bumper.. :eek4dance:

Mafix
05-25-2010, 02:45 PM
nobody has put up enough time or money to get a proper WTA setup on the 4agze. i have the know how and it's not to horribly complicated to do. but it will be very expensive. plan on losing the A/C if you guys are going to use proper WTA on the mr2.

ChrisD
05-25-2010, 04:34 PM
The person who is buying my WTA setup will be going WTA on the 4agze...

Is this an MR2 then we are talking about? If that is the case, then FMIC is probably not the best choice.

pinoyGT4
05-25-2010, 07:48 PM
The person who is buying my WTA setup will be going WTA on the 4agze...

Is this an MR2 then we are talking about? If that is the case, then FMIC is probably not the best choice.

im talking about my 185 and my friend's mr2 aw11 :biggthumpup:

chewabacha
06-04-2010, 02:57 PM
For the MR2, check out MR2OC.com for more ideas. My brother has a huge intercooler mounted in the sub-trunk area of the MR2 and it works pretty well.

I used to have a fan mounted TMIC but it doesn't really make much difference over the stock TMIC. Performance is definitely more consistent w/ the FMIC.

tubasteve
06-08-2010, 03:56 AM
i might have two wta setups, one for 205, and one 165?