PDA

View Full Version : Took my MR2 to the strip

vip09
05-22-2010, 05:37 AM
Went to the local 1/8th mile tonight with my n/a MR2. It did better than I thought it would!

I made two passes and both passes were pretty much the same.. bracket car anyone?

Mods: Intake, Exhaust, Header, Ported Head.

First Run:

60ft......2.14
330ft....6.54
594ft....8.88
1/8th....9.57
MPH.....65.41

Second Run:

60ft......2.15
330ft....6.51
594ft....8.87
1/8th....9.56
MPH.....65.86

Mafix
05-22-2010, 02:51 PM
wow that's damn consistant!

chewabacha
06-04-2010, 04:44 PM
Pretty Decent 60 Foot times. Is that on stock suspension?

What were your 60 Foot times for the All Trac? Is this MR2 getting the 3SGTE powerplant that was previously in the All trac?

KoreanJoey
06-05-2010, 01:30 AM
Pfft, I get better 60ft times with the Xrunner...

Luni
06-05-2010, 01:34 AM
Now you just gotta go practice driving it fast through the twisties.

Sorry VIP I had to. You and Tim both need more practice with your cars in the turns.

vip09
06-05-2010, 08:30 AM
Now you just gotta go practice driving it fast through the twisties.

Sorry VIP I had to. You and Tim both need more practice with your cars in the turns.

We don't have those around here!

Pretty Decent 60 Foot times. Is that on stock suspension?

What were your 60 Foot times for the All Trac? Is this MR2 getting the 3SGTE powerplant that was previously in the All trac?

Ehh, I didn't have enough power to get any better 60' times. That was launching near the rev limiter.. with zero wheel spin. Track was HOOKING.

I traded the engine out of the alltrac for my MR2. But I do plan on doing something with the MR2 in the near future. Just need to sell some stuff.

Mafix
06-07-2010, 06:12 PM
i figure you can pick up a lot with dropping weight and changing suspension before even bothering with the engine.
it will handle better too, so the twisties won't be as bad and luni will leave you alone. and then you don't have to worry about all that crap after dropping in a 10K dollar motor.

Luni
06-07-2010, 06:45 PM
Ill never leave him alone.

Im just an elitist MR2 driving asshole! I just gotta give VIP and Tim shit. I was up both their asses in Jasmins car at the dragon. On some turns I was actually maintaining a higher entry speed and hitting a higher exit speed than both of em. Tim shouldnt have had any problems kicking my ass but he didnt.

I just chalk it up to having driven MR2s for the past 10 years or so. But thats the beauty of an MR2 they handle well. I could give a shits less they drag race good.

So Im just giving VIP shit as I always do. Proof of 14.7 required!

renegadex
06-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Well now I have to defend myself. I fell like my struts had something to do with it. The AGXs are just garbage. When I go through a corner the back end feels like its just going to snap, I don't remember it feeling like that when I was on stock suspension. I think switching to Konis would be a better choice. I have been an MR2 owner for about 9 years now, but we just don't have twisty roads around here. I know these are excuses, but I think they are good ones!

Luni
06-09-2010, 07:44 AM
The MR2 I was driving has AGX dampers on it too.

However I wasnt a fan of them either. What springs do you have Tim? Springs make a difference. Jas' car was pretty tame compared to some Ive driven with AGXs. She has stock 93 springs though.

I cant wait till I get my next MR2 and put my TRD Coilovers on it.

Blackcloud
06-09-2010, 02:20 PM
nice.. thoes are about identical times that i run in my truck.. well my 60 is slower. hard to get traction w/o doing a 4wd launch

renegadex
06-10-2010, 05:26 AM
I have TRD springs. The sad thing is when I fist put my AGX's in like 7 or 8 years ago I was riding on stock springs and thought that was causing it to bounce all over the place. So last year I finally got around to getting new springs and it feels the same, just less body roll. So I have narrowed it down to struts.

You can ask anyone on here from Mobile what my car looks like on the interstate. It is just stupid how much my car bounces. Even with the struts set to full soft it bounces so much. After I fix my car I will be buying Koni yellows and maybe a ground control kit. Or maybe I'll just save up and get a complete coilover kit from a good company.

Last year I rode in a local MR2 with an unknown brand coilover kit from Japan. Even though I was just riding in it, I could tell it was just a solid setup, no bouncing at all.
I would like to make the MK2 feel just as nimble as my old MK1, right now it just feels shitty.

Mafix
06-10-2010, 04:15 PM
that's weird. i absolutaly love agx's.

vip09
06-10-2010, 04:43 PM
Yeah, I have AGX's on my GTS and like them a lot!

BabyBear
06-10-2010, 04:55 PM
KYB struts on an MR2 don't work very well. It makes them bouncy as all hell, and if you have ABS it makes braking suck a fat one too, as it'll kick in ALL of the time.

Mafix
06-10-2010, 06:08 PM
funny cause mine are mr2 cartridges. different platforms i suppose.

renegadex
06-10-2010, 10:13 PM
Maybe they would work better with a stiffer spring, not too sure. All I know is they suck with what I have had.

I have driven 7th gens with them and they feel pretty nice on them though.

Luni
06-10-2010, 10:34 PM
The stiffer spring doesnt help, its the actual strut movement factor.

Theyre just shitty cartridges for our suspension geometery.

Tim, spend some money on a decent suspension setup. Hell, just a set of Tein Coilovers or H&Rs or some other GOOD coilovers (no megans, no CHEAP ones), and youd see a world of difference.

Hell, just moving to some Illuminas would make a world of difference.

renegadex
06-11-2010, 05:20 AM
I have been looking longingly at some Teins. I know that they are on the cheap side, but I'm sure they are much better than just about any strut/spring combo that I could assemble.

Luni
06-11-2010, 09:25 PM
Theyre not better than Konis with good springs, but Teins DO ride nice and theyre a DECENT coilover setup.

If you could find a set of H&Rs they are fantastic coilovers too.

renegadex
06-12-2010, 05:09 AM
I wish there were more people with MR2s around here, I would really like to ride or drive other peoples MR2s with various suspension types and brands to see what I like best. It would be a lot less expensive that way.

T-spoon
06-15-2010, 03:14 AM
nice.. thoes are about identical times that i run in my truck.. well my 60 is slower. hard to get traction w/o doing a 4wd launch

Wait what? I thought your truck was fast?

vip09
06-15-2010, 06:53 AM
Wait what? I thought your truck was fast?

LOL that 1,000 ft-lbs of torque isn't getting him anywhere I guess.