PDA

View Full Version : "Celica People" are special

klapa
05-21-2010, 02:39 PM
All,

You know - I don't want to seem as "pandering for attention" here. Yet I do wish to relate a few observations I have about this community - and "life in general".

When I was on the Dragon Run and my car started overheating in the middle of nowhere - I was ready to throw in the towel - I didn't want to rain on everybody else parade.

We were near that small town "Robbinsville" when I finally pulled over and was trying to tell everyone to just go on - that we would make it somehow later on our own.

Yet when I was willing to just "cut my losses" and do the best I could - that blond haired guy in the Marines from Arizona (I'm not good at remembering names) with the 7th gen just wouldn't leave us alone. A typical "Celica Person", he said "we don't leave anybody on the side of the road". Murg sat with us at that gas station all day Saturday and in so doing missed out on allot of the fun.

Same with the guy I just bought my Alltrac. I felt kind of bad, as he had to sell the car cuz he was in a computer school and had to go into debt for 25k - here we can give a bunch of "Goldmann-Sachs" type of thieves 700 BILLION dollars to bail them out but not put a kid thru school. He was asking $3200 for the car and I paid $2400 - only because that was positively ALL I had.

I sent him an email thanking him and this is his reply:

"hello hello haha i very much appreciate the email. i'm actually very happy that the car is going to someone like you who has a passion and love for the car as i did, instead of some kid who just wants to get in it and "go fast" haha.

when working on the car i tried to take no short cuts on it, its such a rare car it deserved the best i believed haha, and i never beat on it either, all my friends know me for driving like a grandma, i just don't like beating on something that i work hard on or getting a ticket for that matter, everything's too expensive already lol

i do appreciate you wanting to help me out, it is always great to have as many connections as possible, once i finish my computer school i will definetely appreciate the help. if you ever have any questions about it just shoot me an email i will try to answere everything for you, i would love love to see this car get finished. me and my brother together spent about total of 8k to get the car where it is haha, these cars are not cheap thats for sure x___x but i hope that most of the hard work has been done so you don't have to break your back over it too much. "

4thgenceli
05-21-2010, 03:09 PM
Guy in the white 7th gen is MCCelica, and he's not from AZ, but CO.

MCcelica
05-21-2010, 06:24 PM
Thanks Tim. Colorado is where I'm at. :D

I would have to agree with Klapa. Though we do like to harass each other for certain items of debauchery, it's still a pretty tight knit community. We've become known on the site for doing the best we can to make sure everyone gets to have some fun and can get home safely. It's a source of pride for us that we can get someone up and running on the side of the road. To some it's actually part of the Dragon meet. This, I feel, is one of the things that separates us from other forums which I won't name the names of. But I would say that it stems from the relative rarity of our cars. But the fact that they aren't super fancy cars like Vipers and Supras and such means that we're all more normal "every day" type of people.Yet we still like to celebrate the rarity. And one of the ways we do that is by trying our best to not leave anybody hanging. It's a reflection of the site as a whole if one car is left on the side of the road. Even Tuminatuh, who grenaded his transmission. I mean. I felt like we, on the whole, did everything we could to get him up and running. There's just a few things that can't quite be done on the side of the road. But even his car had enough in it that he was able to get home before everything totally catastrophically failed.

I actually wanted to give a hats off to Marshall (METDeath) as well. I would have been totally lost without him hanging out with us and telling us which way to go. And Chris for being willing to get completely dirty checking the shift linkage on the black 6th gen. A couple of the unsung heroes of the 2010 Dragon meet. Can't wait for next year!

I also would like to chime in on your story of whom you bought the trac from there Klapa. The guy I bought my 7th gen from was absolutely the same way. Except for he bought a jeep and couldn't have two vehicles rather than school related things. But really though. He took amazing care of the car before I bought it. I wish EVERY previous owner was like him. But he also was very glad the car was going to a fellow enthusiast and not some kid who's going to rice the thing out and take it through a few trees.

I also find it interesting that I can pull up to another celica owner regardless of generation at a stop light and have a little mini conversation. And when the light turns green, neither of us see a point in romping on it. Just take off and go about your business.

So just a few other observations to chime in that are sort of related. :)

vangls14
05-21-2010, 07:05 PM
I enjoyed reading this thread so far.

Idiot Stick
05-21-2010, 08:30 PM
This thread is so right. I don't even know many of you very well, and The Captain invited me to his place for BBQ, to show me around a bit and even show me his work. I was so greatfull I helped him tear something down he was getting rebuilt. Was it the deck? or the roof over the back deck? I don't remember, but it made for a fun afternoon!

Then Marshall and Jas took me to Dave and Busters on another trip I made to Atlanta. Hung out most of the night, it was a good time as well!

I know it's not NEARLY as much as what people have done for Klapa, but I can still appreciate some hospitality. :)

That being said, in the complete and utter offchance you guys are in New Brunswick, Canada, I'l do my best to pass along the celicatech favour. :)

Luni
05-22-2010, 01:23 AM
This place is weak.

I hate you guys.

Fucking special my ass.

I want my money back.

Pshaw!

METDeath
05-22-2010, 03:08 AM
Yeah, I think this year was the probably the least catastrophic of the years that I've been attending, although, I can't remember what happened last year as far as mechanical issues...

Grot
05-22-2010, 03:09 AM
bugs couldnt get running after one of the stops, and someone had a bum rad.

pinoyGT4
05-22-2010, 04:46 AM
here in PI, we have a slightly similar car club.. though its open to all toyotas and some non-toyotas also..

we share the same camaraderie and brotherhood you guys share here so i prolly relate to some of it..
so in that manner, even though im on the other side of the globe, im trying to do my part in sharing some of my experiences and little knowledge i have about our cars, toyotas and life in general.. :D

if only i have the chance to go there and join the dragon run, it'd be an honor.. but maybe some day.. :D

Nitro_Alltrac
05-23-2010, 12:41 AM
This is a great crew. You couldn't ask for much better. The knowledge level here is excellent AND people don't hold that over anybody's head like on some sites. Everybody is willing help.

One thing that happened last year was the problem with Aaron's Lexus on the Skyway. Tweak and others jumped in and got him going. As always, nobody gets left behind.

andy
05-23-2010, 04:44 AM
bugs had his ecu temp sensor fall apart and had to solder at 5k feet. and i had to give water to the bum rad.

Hookecho
05-23-2010, 05:26 AM
the dork that owns this place eats my nuts. that's why i love it.

v3
05-23-2010, 02:11 PM
All,
that blond haired guy in the Marines from Arizona (I'm not good at remembering names) with the 7th gen

That was a hair color away from being a freaky coincidence....ha

<--- 7th gen, was in the Marines, from AZ.....dark brown hair.

MCcelica
05-23-2010, 07:51 PM
I have dark blonde hair. It's almost brown. Still in though. Rah.

bloodMoney
05-26-2010, 08:18 PM
Andy also donated water to me this year too!

Hail the Waterboy! :P

ON TOPIC: I find that this is particularly true with the people on this site.... With everyone having an appreciation for what these cars truly are, makes for great company when we do all get together. We've all been at that point with our cars where something goes wrong and desperation begins to set in, which is why I feel like we band together to pull through.

This, I think, is why I've owned 5 celicas in the last 9 years.... So thanks guys :)

CriScO
05-27-2010, 06:14 AM
bugs had his ecu temp sensor fall apart and had to solder at 5k feet.
He was so excited when I busted out my electrical kit. "You brought a soldering iron? You've got heat shrink? I can't believe I'm fixing this the right way on the side of the road!"

And FYI, I routinely solder at 5,767 feet. :hehe:

v8killer
05-27-2010, 06:43 AM
This place is weak.

I hate you guys.

Fucking special my ass.

I want my money back.

Pshaw!

he's just upset that his car is gone...... lol jk i can give you a set of top feed 440's if it will make you feel better?? ah nevermind! jk

but really though i could its incentive to get a mr2 or 3sgte celica or alltrac back in your life

Lonestag
05-27-2010, 08:35 PM
Yeah, this place is special.

I'm not the type of guy who posts of message boards, usually the conversations are way too degraded, stilted and opinionated after a few posts for me to even feel like reading on.
In fact, this is the only board i'm an active member of.

All this because I liked a fourth gen that a chick in my high school had so I bought a celica on Ebay for my first car.

WhiteEightBall
05-27-2010, 09:37 PM
This site, and yoursciontc.com are the only boards that I know of that have this comraderie. I for one love seeing it and being part of it. It's why I'm trying to be an active member on the site, more so, so I can learn as well as get an idea of when 'events' are being held as well. I'd love to attend one.

Nitro_Alltrac
05-27-2010, 10:51 PM
He was so excited when I busted out my electrical kit. "You brought a soldering iron? You've got heat shrink? I can't believe I'm fixing this the right way on the side of the road!"

And FYI, I routinely solder at 5,767 feet. :hehe:

Show off!:haha:

Murgatroy
05-28-2010, 01:00 AM
I only pretend to be nice once a year.

For the Dragon.

I am a horrible person the rest of the year.

Shadowlife25
05-28-2010, 01:17 AM
You can has coal for Christmas ? :hehe:

KoreanJoey
05-28-2010, 05:22 AM
I only pretend to be nice once a year.

For the Dragon.

I am a horrible person the rest of the year.

:stupid: ^Truth

donteatbugs
05-28-2010, 07:10 PM
my car always has problems, this year the a/c wouldnt work because there was not enough air flow. captain made me a sweet ass splitter for it though and that seemed to help a lot.

BabyBear
05-28-2010, 07:12 PM
Bugs, your car is made of garbage!... cans..

klapa
05-29-2010, 12:17 AM
That was a hair color away from being a freaky coincidence....ha

<--- 7th gen, was in the Marines, from AZ.....dark brown hair.

Sorry about forgetting names and getting the states mixed up!

I've always had trouble with names and such and sometimes that gets me into trouble.

Like mistaking an Indian for a Pakistani - or even worse - a Georgia Bulldog for a Florida Gator.

Like we say down here "them thar's fightin' words!". :)

v8killer
05-29-2010, 01:40 AM
lol

grimmythereaper
06-15-2010, 05:22 PM
I know this post is a little late but, it is nice to have a forum that does laugh at you for having a question, or asking for help.

not12listen
06-20-2010, 08:14 AM
i used to be a member of a LOT of car forums. in the past year or so, i find myself shrinking that number down to 2 or 3.

on other boards, i've asked simple questions... months have gone by with nothing.

on here, i asked some simple and not so simple questions, within 2 hours i had 2 or 3 HELPFUL and INFORMATIVE responses! in fact, a few local members have also offered their assistance, without me asking! now THAT is impressive!

beyond that, being the jackass that i am, no one has gotten mad or upset at my joking manner at all. everyone just takes it all as a joke and we keep on going. :)

i really do appreciate boards like this and will continue to be active in them, and be helpful when i can.